Thread: Epygi to Asterisk Calls dropping after -+ 1 min

Hybrid View

Default Epygi to Asterisk Calls dropping after -+ 1 min

I have an epygi unit installed at a remote office in another city (johannesburg) .I have created a sip trunk that the epygi unit uses to connect to the asterisk server. The qualify time is set to 1000 on the asterisk server. The Phones have a register/ping time of around 100ms. The unit connects to the internet via an ADSL line which has an upload speed of around 384kb/s to 512kb/s although its more around -384kb/s from actual experience. The codec that the phones in Johannesburg use to talk to the Cape Town branch is alaw. The two units are connected via VPN.

Does anyone know why the calls could possibly be dropping after 1 minute? I cannot get to the installation site just yet so I cannot see whats going on on either console.

Quadro Architect

Thats difficult to tell without logs. If calls are dropped by signalling (if the phone shows the call ended), usually session timer is the reason of that. If just the voice stream terminates, then there should be a network problem, like the IP change, interface down/up, VPN down/up etc. These are just guesses, of course... Only SIP trace or net capture can show the exact reason.

Can you enlighten us as to the relationship between SIP trunks and the session timer. If the session timer is the culprit, what steps do you need to take to correct this?

I have the same problem when calling from a 2xi to a 4xi using SIP trunks but not the other way! All calls from 2xi->4xi drop after 30secs.

There is definitely no transient or other network issue between these devices in my case.

Quadro Architect

Well, first we need to define what we understand saying "SIP trunk". There is not much sense in this term, or maybe I misunderstand something. I guess this is just an account used to call to a server, isn't it?
    Or do you mean the "SIP Tunnel" feature of Quadro, which was called "SIP trunk" in older versions of Quadro?
    I seems to me tjma2001 uses the term differently than you..

Sorry, yes SIP Tunnel in my case. Possibly a similar cause though? I think I'll open a support case.

Quadro Architect

The session timer have no special relation to the SIP Tunnel. But call drop after 30 seconds is very much like the issue with session timers. It is a good idea to open a ticket, as most probably logs investigation will be required. Though you can try to disable the session timer everywhere in the GUI (SIP Settings, IP Line settings on both devices) to see it this makes any difference.

Well i finally figured out the problem.. seems it was Telkom ( our unfriendly unreliable telecoms provider ).. Signal to Noise ratio is at 0-3db.. in other words internet connection drops every 1,5 - 2 mins.. did all those things with the session timer.. thanks for the help :P

Quadro Architect

The network problems.. That was one of the guesses at the beginning, but a connection drop every 1.5-2 min... thats unbelievable. And surely you cannot use such connection for VoIP, unless you make ISP to improve that.

Thread Information