Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips to make things quicker

Default Tips to make things quicker

Every time we have to add another route or something that ends up at the bottom of the page on the WEB Gui.. the easiest way to get to it that I have found is to use your PAGE -> UP / DOWN / HOME / END keys on the Keyboard to get to it quickly.

I have found that this is by far the easiest way to get around long pages and makes things accessible quickly.

Anyone found any other tricks tips for the Web Gui ?

Regards

Kevin

Nice trick, Kevin

Yes it is indeed nice trick, however Epygi could add the same buttons in the end of the page, because sometimes you have to edit the LAST routing rule and have to go aaaaaallll the way down just to check it and then go aaaaaalllllll the way up to press the "edit button" .....

I also think Epygi could add a "pagination feature" in the really long pages so that you can see it by pages...

Just a couple of thoughts....

Quadro Architect

Well, we are thinking about improving this. Putting the edit links at the bottom is not a solution, as it will help only if you are editing a rule at the bottom of table. What about the rules at the middle of the table? Pagination will be added to some pages, but not to routing or User management, as I belive, those are the types of pages where user needs to see all entries on one page.
    We'll try to make table scrollable, so user can scroll the rows only, without losing the links at the top of the table. If it works out (if it wiull be not too ugly and/or inconvenient), that'll solve the problem. If not, maybe we can add those editing links inside the table, like every ten or twenty rows; or just add Edit button on every extension.

Quadro Architect

The scrollable routing and user management table is implemented for the first version of the 5.0 software. Your feedback is welcome here

Did it *have* to be that way? While having the links always visible is certainly welcome, the table is rather constraining.. at first I was thinking "where the heck have my extensions gone?" until I saw the scrollbars.
    Having things like Cisco does them starting with Callmanager6 is much more effective. If you want I can save a config page from CallManager and post it here so you can have a look at how they do it (basically it's something like a 3 part page.. you have the top part which remains as it is now, then you have a second part which are the controls (like edit, add, etc.) and finally the remaining part which is scrollable.. but it can fill the rest of the screen not like know where there's a fixed size for the scrollable part.

Quadro Architect

Those scrollbars are actually am easy-to-do upgrade, instead of a redesign. Kind of a light touch to the exsting look to add functionality. Anything else will most probably need much more work and changes.
    However, it would be interesting (and might be useful) to look at the Cisco page, if you can paste it here..

Hehe.. you're being brutally honest here
    I have attached the device listing from CallManager6. Your browser will try to reload something which never works (the device not being accessible and all) but you can open it anyway and see that the management buttons (Add New, Select All, etc.) remain while you can scroll the list of devices below.
    Without looking I figure it's probably a 3 frame solution and some scripting to figure out which lines have been selected when a button is being pressed.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quadro Architect

Hi Stephan,

Quote Originally Posted by ssteiner View Post
    Hehe.. you're being brutally honest here
    Yep... Hopefully you were not hurt by that brutality

Quote Originally Posted by ssteiner View Post
    I have attached the device listing from CallManager6...and some scripting to figure out which lines have been selected when a button is being pressed.
    Nice picture. Marie Curie looks nice near Matt Damon
    But'' I don't think we will do something like this soon. First of all, there are a lots of scripting, which is not portable, and scrollbars will show scrambled on many altearnative (no-IE) browser, especially older ones. Cisco can afford forcing everybody to use its favourite browser for Callmanager configuration, but we cannot, as our devices are smaller and should be configurable by the browser anyone has on his PC or old notebook.
    However, we'll try to make the useful space bigger (less claustrophobic ), and make some smaller changes to increase the usability level.

Yep... Hopefully you were not hurt by that brutality
    Not at all.. I prefer honesty over sugar coating.

And as far as scripting goes.. When Cisco upgraded from CallManager 4 to 5, they actually relaxed the browser requirements.. CCM4 wouldn't work at all with anything but IE. But CCM5 and above work with IE6/7 and Firefox 1/2/3 and maybe others (don't see many Operas or Safaris around though). If you have somebody with IE5.. I'd say tough luck regardless if it's a big or small manufacturer.
    It could be though that the saved page will look messed up if you open it outside of IE7 because I used IE7 to save it.. but I never use IE to configure a Callmanager except if I'm dealing with a 4.x release. The only sites I visit with IE are Windowsupdate and Project Server Web Access (and I'm pushing the idea that we write our own timesheet to get the functionality we want, plus browser neutrality).

Thread Information