Thread: Snom Phones Best version 7

Default Snom Phones Best version 7

Given all Snom phones now ship with V7 software what is the best version of 7 to run with the Quadro units.

I have one I am testing with 7.1.30 and it has all sorts of lockups and other strange issues.

At the moment I have a Snom, Polycom and Aastra setup for testing , only the snom on V7 is giving problems. The other Snom at 6XX is fine BUT I have not done much call holds and transfers on that one , mainly outgoing calls.

Also is there a time frame for when V7 will be supported ? it's a bit hard to roll out the Quadro units when all your offices are running snom's on V7 7.1.30

Thanks

Russel, for all Epygi supported IP-Phones there is a SW version that we've tested in our lab and recommend to use with Quadro products. It is indicated in our Release Notes, also in the docs describing IP-Phones configuration with Quadro. The current recommended version to be used with Quadro version 4.1.52 for Snom phones was SW 6.5.15, but now we recommend 6.5.17 due to some bugs the we've found in 6.5.15. If you use Quadro "Firmware version control" feature, then your Snom phones will automatically get that version from Epygi server. Please be careful with using that feature, as the Snom v.7.x is not compatible with v.6.5.x and you'll damage your Snom phones by downgrading them using Quadro. You need to downgrade your Snom phones to any 6.5.x version using special SW tool that can be found on Snom's website, then you can use Quadro "Firmware version control" option to be sure, that your Snom phones will always run the Epygi recommended SW.

Now about Snom version 7.x. Although the v. 7.1.30 is official, we do not recommend it to use with Quadro due to some bugs in that SW version. Probably you've seen in our forum the topics regarding Snom version 7.x. On Snom's website the version 7.1.30 was placed under beta-releases section first, then it was moved to official-releases section. More, Snom has fixed several critical bugs in 6.5.15 and 6.5.17 official versions, that aren't included into 7.x versions - this is the main reason to not jump into 7.x. One of such problems is the bug of Snom, when the phone simply forgetting to send a BYE message to close the call. We've found and reported this bug to Snom long time ago and we had a lot of customers that started to doubt in Quadro's stability/reliability because of this bug. Also they are still doing some experiments in every release of 7.x version. The bright example is dialplan format of phones. On first releases of 7.x it was in xml format, then they've change it back to old-style(string) format. We are aware that Snom is shipping the phones with 7.x version for last 6 months (or even more), but my personal opinion is that it is not correct to give a BETA version to customers. As a result of that they were forced to release a special downgrading tool that I've mentioned already.
    The answer to your question "is there a time frame for when V7 will be supported ?" is "When Snom will release an official V7 release with the same bugfixes as in 6.5.17". Supporting v7.x is essential for our products too, because the Key System Emulation feature, that will be available soon on all Quadro IP-PBXs, can be run on Snom phones that has v7.x only.
    Last edited by aramk; 03-06-2008 at 05:23 AM.

Default Snom

Thank you for your quick replies ... it is very pleasing to buy a product that is so well supported , this is not the case with a lot of products in this day and age. It reinforces that I am making the right decision to go with this product.

Thank you for you detailed info

So would you recommend that I downgrade all our Snom phones to 6.5.17 ?

What is "Key Emulation System" ?

I whole heartily agree that while it is nice that Snom are very fast to update firmware and make changes .. they can be a little fast to give users firmware that is a little beta , but I do like the snom phones and their ability to display 12 function lights to monitor extensions & lines.

thank you
    Last edited by russell; 03-06-2008 at 04:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by russell View Post
    I do like the snom phones and their ability to display 12 function lights to monitor extensions & lines.

Russell..

Just make sure that you DO NOT make all 12 Line keys as BLFs or you will have problems transferring calls... try 10 only...

Regards

Kevin

Thank you for your quick replies ... it is very pleasing to buy a product that is so well supported , this is not the case with a lot of products in this day and age. It reinforces that I am making the right decision to go with this product.
    We also provide a help through our Technical Support. It is available for Epygi Distributors/Resellers.

So would you recommend that I downgrade all our Snom phones to 6.5.17 ?
    Correct. We recommend to use Snom version 6.5.17 with Quadro 4.1.52.

What is "Key Emulation System" ?
    It is known also as a "Shared Line Appearance".

I whole heartily agree that while it is nice that Snom are very fast to update firmware and make changes .. they can be a little fast to give users firmware that is a little beta , but I do like the snom phones and their ability to display 12 function lights to monitor extensions & lines.
    I like the Snoms phones too Actually the Snom and Aastra phones are the first phones supported by Epygi.

Default Firmware Control

OK , I set Quadra to do firmware control (I assume this works only with snom ?)

My phones got chnaged to 6.5.12 not 6.5.17 as per your previous post ??

First off all I suggested to use Snom downgrading tool for downgrading Snom phones from 7.x to 6.5.x version, and not to use Quadro "Firmware version Control".

If Quadro updated your Snoms to 6.5.12, it means that your Quadro is running not 4.1.52, but some older version. We change our recommended IP-Phones versions with almost each Quadro release. As I said in my first comment, in 4.1.52 we recommended Snom version 6.5.15 first, but then we noticed a problem with Snom360's expansion module support on that version. Now we recommend to use Snom version 6.5.17. For that you need to disable Quadro "Firmware Version Control" and upgrade your phones manually, otherwise Quadro will change the Snom's SW to 6.5.15 on every phone's reset.

Quadro Firmware Version Control work not only for Snom phones, but for Aastra phones as well.
    Last edited by aramk; 03-06-2008 at 05:55 AM.

Default Snom

Yes I first manually downgraded all 7's to 6

my Quadro shows

Boot loader: 4.0.8/Release
    Firmware Version: 4.1.52/Release

and yet it did change all Snom's to 6.5.12

I will disable "Firmware Version Control" and manually update phones to 6.5.17

Yes I first manually downgraded all 7's to 6
    Oh, sorry I thought you've crashed your phones

my Quadro shows

Boot loader: 4.0.8/Release
    Firmware Version: 4.1.52/Release

and yet it did change all Snom's to 6.5.12
    I'll check that.

I will disable "Firmware Version Control" and manually update phones to 6.5.17
    OK

... it did change all Snom's to 6.5.12
    You are correct. The Snom SW 6.5.12 was recommended to be used with Quadro 5.1.40, wich was the previous public version of Quadro. We planned to recommend 6.5.15 to be used with 4.1.52, but due to the bug found in that version we've not changed our recommendation and Quadro Firmware Version Control on 4.1.52 still will change the firmware of Snoms phones to 6.5.12. At this moment Quadro Firmware Version Control is disabled by default and we recommend to use Snom version 6.5.17, as there are some important bugfixes in that version.

Thread Information