Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Call-Info header removal

I was refering to RFC 3262, section 20.1.

It contains a table listing header fields, where they can used, and what the proxy may do with them.. here's the appropriate line

Code:
    Call-Info                      ar    -   -   -   o   o   o
    ar means
    a: A proxy can add or concatenate the header field if not present.
    r: A proxy must be able to read the header field, and thus this
    header field cannot be encrypted.
    Note that there is no m or d option so the proxy may not modify, nor delete the header if it is there.

And as far as security goes, nothing in the RFC says you can simply delete it.. it just recommends that the UA only render it if it can verify it. So.. it's not up to the proxy but up to the UA to decide what to do with it.. the proxy has no say in this case.

And as far as optional goes.. the header is optional, but if it is there, the proxy must not touch it (it can add it though since the a option is allowed). Forwarding of the existing header element is not optional in this case.. it's optional to the source of an INVITE to put it into the INVITE or not, but unless there's a d in the proxy column, the proxy has no right to remove it.
    Last edited by ssteiner; 02-13-2008 at 08:19 AM.

Here is addition from our SIP developers to my previous comment.
    We haven't traditional proxy in Quadro, it is B2BUA with Quadro Call Manager and the SIP RFC sections related to proxy functionality cannot be applied to Quadro’s B2BUA, so there is no RFC violation.
    Last edited by aramk; 02-14-2008 at 12:22 AM.

I'd laugh if this weren't so sad. I'm sorry to see you guys becoming more and more like Linksys. Instead of fixing things, you invent reasons why you shouldn't fix something

You can pull this argument out every time to completely pervert the SIP RFCs and claim you're doing nothing wrong. As an engineer, I consider this behavior shameful.

Quote Originally Posted by ssteiner View Post
    I'd laugh if this weren't so sad..
    Me too, Stephan.

I'm sorry to see you guys becoming more and more like Linksys. Instead of fixing things, you invent reasons why you shouldn't fix something
    I don't know much about the problems between you and Linksys, but there is nothing to fix here in Quadro regarding this particular "problem". We don't invent any reasons, but just constating the facts. If something isn't work in Quadro according to your desires, it isn't enough to blame the device.

You can pull this argument out every time to completely pervert the SIP RFCs and claim you're doing nothing wrong. As an engineer, I consider this behavior shameful.
    Can you please mention just one reference to our whole documentation, where we are declaring that we have a SIP proxy in Quadro ? I'll answer right now - you can't. I have to repeat again, that we have only B2BUA in Quadro and according to SIP RFC's definition UA can do anything with Call-Info header. Instead of accepting obvious truth, you are trying to blame us and find a way to force us to implement something, that maybe will be used only by you. From now on I'd ask you to be more restrained in your comments.

Now let's go back to the roots of this conversation. If you need paging, then Quadro offers paging with Snom and Aastra phones only. You know well how to create Paging Group and how to configure it. You know also what phones are officially declared by Epygi that can be used with Quadro Paging feature and Linksys phones aren't in that list. You can consider this as a Quadro limitation, but we are not planning to support so-called "direct paging". In case if Linksys phones will be officially included into our Supported IP-Phone's list, we'll think about supporting Paging with that phones too.

Look at the definition of what a proxy ies:
    Proxy, Proxy Server: An intermediary entity that acts as both a
    server and a client for the purpose of making requests on
    behalf of other clients. A proxy server primarily plays the
    role of routing, which means its job is to ensure that a
    request is sent to another entity "closer" to the targeted
    user. Proxies are also useful for enforcing policy (for
    example, making sure a user is allowed to make a call). A
    proxy interprets, and, if necessary, rewrites specific parts of
    a request message before forwarding it.
    Nothing in the B2BUA definition precludes the proxy function.. in fact both contain the acting as server and client part and shuffling messages back and forth.

Back-to-Back User Agent: A back-to-back user agent (B2BUA) is a
    logical entity that receives a request and processes it as a
    user agent server (UAS). In order to determine how the request
    should be answered, it acts as a user agent client (UAC) and
    generates requests. Unlike a proxy server, it maintains dialog
    state and must participate in all requests sent on the dialogs
    it has established. Since it is a concatenation of a UAC and
    UAS, no explicit definitions are needed for its behavior.
    The Quadro is also a Registrar, a Redirect Server, a Stateful Proxy and an UA even though that's not mentioned in the documentation either.. but the functionality corresponds to the specification.

And O/T, I wished your PM would get their head out of the sand and realize that if people buy the advanced SIP phones you officially support (specifically Aastra and Snom), you shouldn't preclude them from using the functionality built-into the phone. There's no reason to use a PBX side feature if the phones you bought can do the same thing just as well (if not better) - I doubt many setups are as diverse as mine with so many different manufacturers and thus different handling of the same feature on phone types is not an issue (and that would be the only argument for using a feature PBX-side rather than phone-side).

I think there is no need to reply to the first part of your comment. Everything is clear from the B2BUA definitions, especially from "B2BUA...processes it as a user agent server ..." and "no explicit definitions are needed for its behavior" parts and I have nothing to add here.
    Regarding the last section, I think our management have enough reasons to force the users to use Quadro features instead of using phone's features, in order to have more control, even if "the phones you bought can do the same thing just as well (if not better)", but this is just my opinion. You are free to discuss this directly with our management, not in this forum.

You are free to discuss this directly with our management, not in this forum.
    If you have me an email address or phone number I'd be happy to..

The contact details are available in our WEB (http://www.epygi.com/contact-epygi/22/). Also I'll provide this info through PM.

Please feel free to contact me directly regarding this topic. I would be glad to discuss this with you and assist me in getting my head out of the sand. Please call me at your convenience. Thank you.

--Warren

Thread Information