Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to register - dns issue

Now we're moving into the esoteric area.. I have one provider where I just can't get my Quadro to register. In looking through the sip traces, I didn't find any REGISTER packet going out at all.. but I finally found something else that explains what happens - even though it makes no sense (let me get back to that in a second). Here's what happens:

Code:
    13:15:59 User registration timer fires # ID: 143

13:15:59 Registering user 0415121328 on server sip.dynamic-phone.ch

13:15:59 SipRegDlg::OnRegister # 0415121328@sip.dynamic-phone.ch:5060, reg:1, rr:0, id:(empty), pswd:exist, info:[NP#1:30]

13:15:59 SipDlg::DetermineInitTarget # Call to primary server # OID: 2955

13:15:59 TargetQualifier::QualifyTargets # Try to qualify targets for dest sip.dynamic-phone.ch # OID: 2955

13:15:59 SipDlg::DetermineTarget # Wait for resolving destination: sip.dynamic-phone.ch # OID: 2955

13:15:59 TQAgent::UAMsgProc # Can't resolve host: sip.dynamic-phone.ch via default dns

13:15:59 SipRegDlg::TQMsgProc # Got failure msg from TQAgent for destination: sip.dynamic-phone.ch # OID: 2955

13:15:59 Registering error (Incorrect remote address), move to terminate state # OID: 2955

13:15:59 SipRegDlg::SetRegNextTimer # Next registration will be in 96 seconds # OID: 2955
    The problem is.. my DNS server can resolve that address just fine:

Code:
    nslookup sip.dynamic-phone.ch
    Server: router.dragonslair.net
    Address: 192.168.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: sip.dynamic-phone.ch
    Address: 217.150.243.250
    I then configured a phone to register with that proxy directly, and that works like a charm. I'm currently mirroring the switch port going to my router to see if I can see any DNS query when such log entries are being written.

@edit: Alright.. I've been sniffing and the Quadro doesn't even send a DNS request. I see plenty of other DNS requests whenever the Quadro registers with another proxy, but there's no request for "sip.dynamic-phone.ch" ever.

Edited by: ssteiner

Quadro Architect

Hmm... looks like Quadro's UAcached a DNS failure info and doesn't even try to refresh that...

Here you have two options:

1. Use the IP address of the proxy (217.150.243.250) on Quadro instead of hostname...

2. Try to reboot Quadro. In some (rare) cases this helps with DNS problems...

Regards,

DVREdited by: davrays

I rebooted the device multiple times.. the result is always the same. When I'm off work I'll gather traces for the other registration problem and this one and send them off to distributor where I got my Quadro from.

Quadro Architect

Does it work if you try to put the same DNS server in the "SIP Settings" page? Did you try to ping to that hostname from Quadro's "Network Tools" page?

Why I am asking - it is very likely that the Epygi Tech Support will ask the same questions

The DNS servers in the "SIP Settings" page are configured to "Use Default". And the default DNS is 192.168.1.1 (statically configured).
    That machine is of course pingable from anywhere in my network (I verified it's pingable from the Quadro) since it's my WAN router.

And now the fun part.. I can ping sip.dynamic-phone.ch from the network tools. But even after pinging it, registration still fails.

Why I am asking - it is very likely that the Epygi Tech Support will ask the same questions
    Please don't stop.. part of my job is support, too, so it's always best if the problems you get have already been traced down as much as possible.

Having put my DNS server in the SIP Settings page as custom DNS server, registration suddenly works.
    I have 5 other IPTSPs configured (6 if you count the default epygi server), that do not have this issue.. so I'm wondering what is different when I put the DNS server manually in the sip settings tab (could it be that this is a known bug you know about?)

Quadro Architect

Quote Originally Posted by ssteiner
    That machine is of course pingable from anywhere in my network (I verified it's pingable from the Quadro) since it's my WAN router.
    And now the fun part.. I can ping sip.dynamic-phone.ch from the network tools. But even after pinging it, registration still fails.

When asking to ping to "that hostname" I ment the sip.dynamic-phone.ch, not the DNS server, of course [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]. Sorry for not being clear enough.

Having put my DNS server in the SIP Settings page as custom DNS server, registration suddenly works.
    I have 5 other IPTSPs configured (6 if you count the default epygi server), that do not have this issue.. so I'm wondering what is different when I put the DNS server manually in the sip settings tab (could it be that this is a known bug you know about?)

No, this possible bug in not known (at least to me...). It was just a guess to help you... the point here is that Quadro uses another DNS client when contacting the server specified in the "SIP Settings" page.

So still I am unsure what could be the problem there...

Somehow I feel thiscould be connected with the use of DNS SRV, but not sure, how. The sip.dynamic-phone.ch is resolvable by DNS SRV request, while the rest of your servers - maybe not.

Could you try to put "dynamic-phone.ch" instead of sip.dynamic-phone.ch" and see it it registers (with default, static DNS)?Edited by: davrays

umm.. "dynamic-phone.ch" resolves to a whole different IP address (the one running the webserver of that iptsp).

Quadro Architect

umm.. "dynamic-phone.ch" resolves to a whole different IP address (the one running the webserver of that iptsp).

What a pity

I checked here and it seems the problem is really in the DNS SRV handling by your DNS server. The "alternative" DNS client (the one set up at the "SIP Settings" doesn't send DNS SRV requests, and this is the reason it is working ok with your DNS server.

I don't know what is wrong with your DNS servers reaction to Quadro's DNS SRV requests... To find the reason, you'll need to make some network captures containing the DNS negotiations between Quadro and your DNS server. If you do that, please capture immediately after reboot of the Quadro, so we can make sure Quadro didn't cache anything.

You can send these captures and logs to your distributor, or to Epygi directly, if you have access to our TSS.

Best regards,

DVR

I just sent some more traces to the local distributor. Hopefully you'll have them soon.

OK, we'll answer you via TSS channel when we'll receive the necessary files. You are free to share the information later in this forum.

Thread Information