Thread: User interface and manual

We've had a Quadro4x for about8 months, and managed to get basic PABX services up and running reasonably quickly with PSTN and local extensions. We tried to get clever with the IP feature, and quickly retired to RTFM many times without success.

Feeling a bit foolish that we had this fancy system and were using it mostly as a nalague PBX, we had another go recently at using the more complex features. We have VoIP carrier accounts doing nothing, but never once managed to connect a remote user from outside our LAN. And soby calling the distributor support people for days on end, we eventually discovered a whole bunch of things about Zyxel 600 series routers and new firmware upgrades for ALG.

Quadro is obviously a very clever system, but the user interface is about as complex and impenetrable as anything Lucent/Avaya could have produced inone of their most evil moments.

However, I accept that with so many possible combinations of features and functions - most of which has consequential relationships -the task of documentating a product like this for impatient users that don't want to become intimate with every aspect of every feature is frequently going to be more challenging than actually writing the software - but someone needs to do something!

How about a help system option that fetches help from the web (for the correct version of software) -with a searchinterface - and supplies examples taken from "known working systems". Such a scheme could also incorporate contextual user comments (such as this forum).

It would save your resellers a lot of support time - and you would be able to sell many more of these very clever system because delighted users wouldn't be able to stop themselves from telling alltheir frineds and colleagues about it.

And if you want to subcontract the task, we'd take on the job - and it would be written by people who were sympathetic to those users whose first reactrion to setting a Quadro up is generally one of sheer terror.

WSP+++

Administrator

Dear WSP

I do not browse the forum daily, but found your post and decided to reply. Sorry for not doing so earlier...

We have added a ton of features to Quadro to satisfy customer needs. It is a complex system that allows many configurations. We understand our documentation can improve significantly.

We are working on this and also in ease of configuration for the most commonscenarios. Our goal is to have a working phone system "out of the box" with minimum configuration. The auto-configuration of IP phones is part of that initiative.

My apologies for the inconvenience. We take your suggestions in consideration.

Mario

I would like to echo what Mario has stated. We have taken this topic into consideration and has become a priority. Our hope is that you and others will be very pleased with the steps we are going to take in upcoming releases. Please continue to post suggestions and feedback, we understand the value of this information. Also, feel free to contact me directly at warren.sonnen@epygi.com if you have some specific topics for me. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario
    We have added a ton of features to Quadro to satisfy customer needs. It is a complex system that allows many configurations. We understand our documentation can improve significantly.

Mario, the Quadro's feature set is unbelievable, but in my humble opinion the UI problem has nothing to do with the large feature set, or configurability. The primary thing that makes the system complex is the poor user interface design. It has organizational issues, terminology issues, and a number of other basic usability problems. No amount of documentation can fix that. I truly believe Epygi will have the number one small business phone system once it addresses this issue.Edited by: sotoole

Administrator

Thanks for the confidence in Quadro.

We are currently looking into the UI and what needs to be addressed. Particularly the most common scenario for a quick, out of the box, installation experience. SoI ask the following:

"What is the installation scenario that you feel Quadro needs to address for ease of configuration?"

Comments?

Within the User interface, I suggest an option to display the Internet PSTN providers in one simple table that shows the name, userid, password, Address.

Additionally, I believe a field needs to be added within the PSTN provider configuration for a list of DID numbers and how they are forward within the system. This would be consistent with other vendor implementations, and would simplify the routing of calls from these ITSP lines.

thodgen:

thank you for suggestions, we really appreciate your feedback. We'll improve the VoIP Carrier Wizard in upcoming releases.

Thread Information