Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Number of calls per proxy

is there a way to set a limit on how many parallel calls can go out via one proxy? I know that using IP-PSTN as Call Type limits the proxy to 1 concurrent call - but suppose I have a proxy which has a limit of 2 or higher (but not unlimited and not necessarily so high that I'll never run into the limit), how do I ensure that calls will automatically go out via another proxy if one is full?

Using IP-PSTNCall Type limits the proxy to 1 concurrent call if "Multiple Logon" option is unchecked. In case if it is checked there is no limitation on calls count. Currently there is no way to set a limit for 2 or 3 calls for some Routing Rule, but in case if your proxy has such limit on the calls and you choose "Any" Fail Reason on all your Routing rules, then the Quadro willskip the "full" proxy and orginize the call using next record.

But the fail type Any has some undesired side-effects as well - I don't want failover when a number is incorrect or when the called destination is busy. However, I have all providers on "system failure".. hopefully that'll get me there but I have yet to find out if this is really the case (I'm not sure most proxies do have a limit.. although I know that most business offerings do have a limit on the number of concurrent connections.. and I guess accomodating this from the getgo would be a feature request then.. it's much more efficient to fail over immediately if you know the call cannot proceed because you have exhausted the number of simultaneous calls).

We don't see any reasonable point to restrict the call numbers tofixed one. If your provider supports only 3 calls and you have already that 3 calls active,then the Quadro will try the second routing rule anyway. If the dialled number is Busy or some wrong number were dialled, then the call will not be established also by other rules. Failover will not affect any other calls and will not take significant resources from Quadro.

If your provider supports only 3 calls and you have already that 3
    calls active,then the Quadro will try the second routing rule anyway.
    But only after having tried to make the call and having received some kind of error (provided you set the failover up to include "other"). It would be more efficient to fail over immediately, kinda like you have with PRI trunks (not sure the Quadro gateway can do it, but I know the Alcatel OXE can - I've configured links like that in the past) where you can decide which of the 30 timeslots you're going to use.

Quote Originally Posted by ssteiner
    But only after having tried to make the call and having received some kind of error (provided you set the failover up to include "other").

Of course, as we must receive an information from provider's side. Still we don't like the idea of restricting the calls countfrom Quadro.

Quote Originally Posted by ssteiner
    It would be more efficient to fail over immediately, kinda like you have with PRI trunks (not sure the Quadro gateway can do it, but I know the Alcatel OXE can - I've configured links like that in the past) where you can decide which of the 30 timeslots you're going to use.

Quadro GW has such functionailty and that can be configured either from Routing Table, or from Timeslots configuration. Lets not mix the PRI trunks functionality with IP-PSTN services

Lets not mix the PRI trunks functionality with IP-PSTN services
    I took that as an example that it can make sense to limit the number of calls without relying on the remote side to tell you that you have run out of capacity. Since PSTN providers are used to think in terms of simultaneous calls, I think it's a matter of efficiency - you don't do something you know is going to fail.

If we'd follow your logic of not restricting the number of simultaneous calls, then you'd have to get rid of the IP-PSTN type as well since that's a Quadro imposed limit on the number of simultaneous connections. And sine you do have it, why not have 1 or unlimited but X, which could be from anywhere from 1 to unlimited.

If you have hit your concurrent call limit with the ITSP then the rejection will come back almost instantaneously (in our experience), so there is no problem trying it before falling over to the PSTN route.
    Is half a second extra during call completion really a big concern to you?

Is half a second extra during call completion really a big concern to you?
    I seem to be having a proxy where it can take longer. And since you already have a counter in place, it might not be such a big deal to have it more flexible. And from an efficiency standpoint, there's no question that it's better not to even bother to invite (and authenticate) if you already know the call cannot proceed via the chosen provider.

I'll write a request for this feature, but we'll wait until some other customers will also require this. Till now you are the only one nedded this.

Thread Information