Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A few admin interface improvements

While configuring my Quadro today, I wrote down a few things I think could be improved in the web interface:

Add multiple extensions simultanously to a pickup group - this would greatly speed up the creation of a pickup group

Show cursor in text fields - it's hard to figure out where you're at if you don't see the cursor. It is visible in the login screen but not visible anymore thereafter (note that this problem is specific to Firefox)
    Upon creating a new extension, automatically enter the extension configuration - when you create a new extension, it's highly likely that you're going to configure it immediately thereafter.
    Order extensions by extension number - I think most human beings are conditioned to having some order in lists, especially if the primary key is a number.

Some more thoughts:

it would be good to have the list options (edit, add, etc.) in tables to be part of the top frame.. that way, if the list gets long, you don't have to scroll up to use them. This reminds me of Call Manager..they finally changed that in version 6 that came out this summer.

Also, when I initially read the admin guide, I was quite puzzled about the extension configuration.. I found it rather weird that there's a sip proxy behind every extension. While you might want to tie an extension to a certain account in some special instances, I figure the main point of having a PBX is so that you separate your outside connectivity from the phones. I think conceptually, it might be more easy to understand of the proxies were separated from the extension, and could be tied together if needed using a mechanism similar to how you use certain extension properties in an call routing rule. So you'd configure your proxies, and your extensions, and then if needed you'd have a dropdown list in the extension configuration where you can select a proxy to tie to an extension (and ideally, the display name be shown in the selection list, not the userid which is often numeric).
    That change would also affect call routing rules, where you'd now have to select a proxy and not an extension (once again using the display name... as it is now, I find myself having two windows open, one where I configure call routing rules, and another where I have the extension list so I know which extension to select to pick the proper proxy).

Cutting the tie between extensions and proxies would also free up some extension numbers (probably not needed, but it's quite weird to have virtual extensions that basically have no point and are just sitting there because you need the proxy that's behind it).

Edited by: ssteiner

Thank's for your suggestions. Some of them arealready in our enhancement's list(such as extension configuration wizard), but they are so minor to be implemented right now,compared toother features that are currently under development. Tomorrow I'll try toanswerto each your request separately.

Another one crossed my mind when I was enabling MWI and custom MOH.. how about a some sort of bulk modification for user specific settings like it's already possible for the admin side of an extension? And what would make this even more useful - how about being able to set a default for newly created extensions?

You can use Quadro Legible Configuration mechanizm andcreate some templates of user specific settings, so you can load it on any extension at ny time. Find a document describing LC feature in the "Support Login -> Downloads" section.

Quote Originally Posted by ssteiner
    Add multiple extensions simultanously to a pickup group - this would greatly speed up the creation of a pickup group

This is under development currently.ThePaging and Pickup groups configuration will be changed and it will be similar to MER list configuration - you will just choose the extensios and enable/disable them.

Show cursor in text fields - it's hard to figure out where you're at if you don't see the cursor. It is visible in the login screen but not visible anymore thereafter (note that this problem is specific to Firefox)

This is Mozilla/Firefox bug #295838, see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=295838
    You can also see that the cursor is visible on some field,not onlyin Login page, but also in "Extesion Login -> Supplementary Services -> Caller ID Based Services -> Add entry" page. we can't do anything here, but wait for Mozilla developers to fix their bug.

Upon creating a new extension, automatically enter the extension configuration - when you create a new extension, it's highly likely that you're going to configure it immediately thereafter.)

AsI said already, that is in our future enhancment's list and waiting for it's time to be implemented.

Order extensions by extension number - I think most human beings are conditioned to having some order in lists, especially if the primary key is a number.

I don't see any problem with extensions ordering by number - clicking on "Extension" functional link of Extensions Table all your extension will be sorted in increasing or decreasing order. What'swrong here ? Can you describe your problem ?

Some more thoughts:

it would be good to have the list options (edit, add, etc.) in tables to be part of the top frame.. that way, if the list gets long, you don't have to scroll up to use them. This reminds me of Call Manager..they finally changed that in version 6 that came out this summer..

IfI am not mistaken, there was a request for this too, but it wasn't implemented due to some technical problems.

Also, when I initially read the admin guide, I was quite puzzled about the extension configuration.. I found it rather weird that there's a sip proxy behind every extension. While you might want to tie an extension to a certain account in some special instances, I figure the main point of having a PBX is so that you separate your outside connectivity from the phones. I think conceptually, it might be more easy to understand of the proxies were separated from the extension, and could be tied together if needed using a mechanism similar to how you use certain extension properties in an call routing rule. So you'd configure your proxies, and your extensions, and then if needed you'd have a dropdown list in the extension configuration where you can select a proxy to tie to an extension (and ideally, the display name be shown in the selection list, not the userid which is often numeric).
    That change would also affect call routing rules, where you'd now have to select a proxy and not an extension (once again using the display name... as it is now, I find myself having two windows open, one where I configure call routing rules, and another where I have the extension list so I know which extension to select to pick the proper proxy).

Cutting the tie between extensions and proxies would also free up some extension numbers (probably not needed, but it's quite weird to have virtual extensions that basically have no point and are just sitting there because you need the proxy that's behind it).

This will be passed to our Product Designer, but I don't think that something will be changed in near future. To avoid two windows opened for Routing configuring just use "VoIp Carrier Wizard" - it will create extension automatically. If you don't want to have Virtual Extension on your Quadro, you can delete some extensions and attach the free lines to VEs.

Can you describe your problem ?
    For some reason, the setting wasn't preserved when logging out - now that I tried again, it's still sorted by extension number so I'm not sure what went wrong.

To avoid two windows opened for Routing configuring just use "VoIp Carrier Wizard" - it will create extension automatically.
    It will also bypass call routing though, so if you want to use call routing, you have no choice but to configure things manually.

I do have another one: when configuring Call Manager as well as the Linksys SPA9000 at home, after logging in, you can open as many tabs / browser windows as you like.. you're always using the same session. With the quadro, I get one session per tab. Coupled with the rather agressive session timeout there is, that makes configuration work less effective. So it would be nice if a session could span multiple tabs / browser windows on the same machine as well.

IfI am not mistaken, there was a request for this too, but it wasn't implemented due to some technical problems.
    If you'd consider taking this up again, I could have a look at how it is implemented in Call Manager 6 (or rather.. Communications Manager as they call it now)

Thank's. All that requests are not stopped, but just suspended due to other urgent tasks. I think it ill be implemented some day, so I'll ask to our developers to look into Cisco implemantation, to see if we can do it the same way.

And another one: a http://<ip-address> link in the status page for every registered device. So far, every IP phone I have encountered (well, almost.. Alcatel proves to be the exception but those are proprietary phones anyway) offers some kind of configuration via http.. and the interface is usually accessible by http://<ip-address>.
    It would be nice to be able to click on the binding IP address to get directly to the phone - especially if that phone cannot be automatically managed.

This already exists in the IP Lines page.

Thread Information