Thread: IP phone directly to QuadroISDN as back up if Asterisk Server falls over

Cool IP phone directly to QuadroISDN as back up if Asterisk Server falls over

Hi,
    I would like the ability to have a dedicated ip phone (SPA525G) on the network that in the event that the Asterisk PBX goes down this phone will have all incoming ISDN lines go to it as a fail over.
    I have got the SPA525G to register directly with the QuadroISDN gateway and make calls out, however I cannot get it to send incoming calls directly to it.

FYI The Asterisk server under normal operation works well with the QuadroISDNs sip trunks.

Any assistance is greatly appriciated!

Will

Dear Will,

Please clarify your configuration. What do you mean by saying "I have got the SPA525G to register directly with the QuadroISDN gateway and make calls out"?
    Did Quadro ISDN gateway provide IP address to SPA525G or not? Have you had any Quadro PBX in your configuration?

Regards,
    LevonD

Hi Levon,
    To clarify. I do not have any Quadro PBX in the configuration. I have an Asterisk PBX.
    So under normal circumstances all phones communicate directly with the Asterisk PBX and it decides whether to use VOIP trunks for phone calls or use the ISDN trunks provided by the QuadroISDN gateway.

What I want is if the Asterisk PBX is down the ability to route incoming ISDN calls from the QuadroISDN box to a single specified phone. Not sure if this is possible but would be handy to have.

In trying to configure this "back up" scenario I have successfully got a SPA525G to make an outgoing call directly through the QuadroISDN box but could not figure out the incoming.

Regards, Will

Dear Will,

If you have configured your Cisco SPA525G directly with SIP Server, in this case you could send incoming calls from ISDN Gateway to IP Phone in case of Asterisk PBX is down.
    Please configure the following rules on Quadro ISDN gateway for incoming calls from ISDN trunk
    Destination number pattern: *
    Destination Type: SIP
    Filter on Source / Modify Caller ID - enable this checkbox
    Destination Host: 192.168.74.12(just an example, for your case it should be Asterisk IP)
    Destination Port: 5060 (just an example, for your case it should be Asterisk sip port)
    Failover Reason: choose "Any" radio button
    Source Number Pattern: *
    Source Type: ISDN
    Port ID: Any
    Save this rule.

Duplicate this routing rule and make the following changes:

Destination number pattern: *
    Number of Discarded Symbols: 99 (just an example)
    Prefix: 5555(just an example, it should be your Cisco Phone's SIP number)
    Destination Type: SIP
    Filter on Source / Modify Caller ID - enable this checkbox
    Destination Host: 192.168.0.209(just an example, for your case it should be SIP Server IP, on which Cisco Phone registered)
    Destination Port: 5060 (just an example, for your case it should be SIP Server sip port)
    Failover Reason: choose "None" radio button
    Source Number Pattern: *
    Source Type: ISDN
    Port ID: Any

Press save.
    You need also configure ISDN trunks to Route Incoming Call to "Routing with inbound destination number".

So at first the incoming calls from ISDN would be forwarded to Asterisk PBX, as soon as it is down, the failover would work and the calls would be forwarded to Cisco Phone.

For Outgoing calls:
    Please configure AutoAttendant on Quadro ISDN Gateway:
    AA should have SIP registration on same SIP server as we used for Cisco phone
    Enable "Send AA Digits to Routing Table"
    Then create the following routing rule:
    Destination number pattern: 456*
    Number of Discarded Symbols: 3
    Destination Type: ISDN

Press save.

In this case you should dial the AA sip number from Cisco phone, then dial 456* in order to make outgoing ISDN calls in case of Asterisk is down.

Please try it and let us know.

Regards,
    LevonD.

Hi Levon, Thank-you very much for your informative replies. It is very much appreciated. I have one question though. When you say

Destination Host: 192.168.0.209(just an example, for your case it should be SIP Server IP, on which Cisco Phone registered)

Do you mean I need to setup another SIP server for backup? Or is this the QuadroISDN ip address?

Thanks, Will

Dear Will,

It should be the SIP server IP that you have used for Cisco Phone sip registration.

Regards,

LevonD
    Last edited by LevonD; 10-10-2014 at 01:16 AM.

Hi Levon,
    The only SIP server is the Asterisk server and if that is down then it cannot register with it......

Will

Hi Levon,
    Thank-you for all you assistance, with what you gave me I tried something else and it worked!

I pushed the call through to the "sip tunnel" that I had previously setup, change "Number of Discarded Symbols" to 20 and set prefix to the username of the siptunnel I setup in my case I called "SIPTunnel_backup".
    Then all worked. I hope this helps someone else out there trying to do the same.

Thank-you again for your assistance Levon, would not of got to the solution if you hadn't helped

Thread Information