Thread: Call Relay & Caller ID

Question Call Relay & Caller ID

Can anyone tell me what I am missing with this scenario...

Have a Quadro4x configured with two cell phones added to the authorized phones database, and auto directed to call relay if those cell phones dial a specific DID.
    When either cell phone dials in, the Quadro auto directs the cell phones to place outbound call from Quadro.
    The outbound call is placed and works great except for caller ID to called party is not presented.
    All called party sees is 'Unknown,' which very few called parties will ever answer if a caller blocks their number.

I have the same call route defined for calling out from local extension as from call relay.
    The only difference is for call relay route, the cell phone must prefix the call with an '8'.
    Local extension calls out and shows caller ID perfectly fine.
    Call relay calls out do not show caller ID. Instead, called party sees 'Unknown'.

The routes look identical outside of the '8' prefix.
    I have even tried disabling the call relay route, and rely on the route used by local extensions.
    In that case, the call relay still works -- just no caller ID presented to called party.

What am I missing here?

If anyone is able to help, I have worked with our ITSP and call traces show that under the call relay scenario, the Quadro is sending a p-asserted-id, also known as preferred-identity, field in the call set up, so ITSP:

1) sees the actual mobile number as source caller,
    2) does not have mobile number in their system,
    3) and instead of passing unknown mobile number out, they pass 'private' instead.

ITSP has said that if under normal calls from local extensions, the p-asserted-id field IS NOT passed, and caller ID works properly.
    ITSP has said that if under call relay, the p-asserted-id field IS passed, and caller ID does not work properly, because it overrides Contact Info.
    ITSP has said that IF the Quadro is able to set up call WITHOUT p-asserted-id field, the caller ID will work from call relay perfectly.

Anybody have any ideas that could point me in the direction of making the Quadro not pass that added data in call setup?
    Last edited by tchancev; 06-12-2014 at 11:15 AM.

Quadro Architect

Try to play with "Keep Original Caller ID" and "Add Remote Party ID" settings on the Call Routing rule.

Quote Originally Posted by davrays View Post
    Try to play with "Keep Original Caller ID" and "Add Remote Party ID" settings on the Call Routing rule.

Good Idea... Mr David Sir

If your ITSP allows you to insert the caller ID then this should work a treat...

Just my 2 cents worth...

Hello davrays & KSComs,

Thank you for your input. Following your advice, I tried both Keep Original Caller ID & Add Remote Party ID with various states: one checked, one not, both checked, etc., and the Quadro still passes cell phone number in p-asserted-ID field. I do not understand why the local extension is able to set up the call correctly, but the call relay route, which is defined exactly as the local extension's call route, does not work. Even when I completely disable the call relay route, the call relay selects the route used by local extension, yet the caller ID is not correct.

It seems the Quadro refuses to skip passing the cell phone's number in the call set up.

Any other ideas you can provide would be greatly appreciated...

Chance

Quadro Architect

Quote Originally Posted by tchancev View Post
    why the local extension is able to set up the call correctly, but the call relay route, which is defined exactly as the local extension's call route, does not work.
    That's because p-asserted-id is added when caller id has changed (so original caller id is passed in "p-asserted-id", while new one is in "from" field).
    When Call Relay is used, new caller ID (the ITSP number or DID) replaces the original caller ID (mobile number) in the "From" filed of SIP message, and the original ID is kept in "p-asserted-id" filed, so ITSP is aware of the original caller. As opposed to that, when local extension calls, p-asserted-id is not added because there is no need for that - there is single leg to the call, and no caller id change.

Thats just the theory, so you do not wonder why local extension works, and Call Relay leads to such problem.

I tried to recreate the problem on my Quadro. Looks like I reproduced that, and here are my observations:

1. The "p-asserted-id" is always added when "Add Remote Party ID" is set. So you need to disable that in any case.

2. When "Add Remote Party ID" is not set, the "p-asserted-id" is added in case if the original call (mobile phone ->Quadro) contains the "p-asserted-id" filed. Quadro is not adding that filed, but just proxy-ing it - passing through to the new leg (Quadro -> ITSP). When "p-asserted-id" is not set in the original call, Quadro should not add it. How the call comes from mobile phone to the Quadro? Does it come via FXO (FXO GW) or some sip provider (ITSP)? You would need to look at that leg first to make sure it doesn't contain "p-asserted-id".

3. As an illustration to my last point, I can tell you the following: if you enable Callback in your "Authorized Phones Database" for those callers, and have them call via Callback (call to Quadro, listen callback rings, wait for 1-2 seconds, hangup, then get the call back from Quadro, and then dial the destination number), you will not have "p-asserted-id" field in your INVITE message to ITSP! Thats is because this call (the call back-ed) does originate from Quadro, and hence does not have "p-asserted-id" even in the first leg. Try calling that way, and see if you can see the the caller ID when calling to ITSP instead of that 'Unknown' number. Do not forget to disable the "Add Remote Party ID" on the Call Routing rule.

Unrelated topic:
    Greetings to Kevin

Best regards,
    David

Hi David,

Thank you for all the information.

I tried to implement the call back as you described, but it is not working at all.

Here is what I have in Authorized Phones Database:

1) I can only choose PSTN as Call Type, and enter 10-digit mobile number for Caller Address. If I choose Call Type SIP, mobile number by itself is an invalid SIP address, and since it is mobile carrier I have no way of knowing exactly what the SIP address would be. So PSTN is my only option as Quadro complains that call back is only available for PSTN and SIP callers.

2) I have to choose Auto for Callback Call Type, and enter 10-digit mobile number again for Callback Destination.

When I call in to DID that directs to AA, it only rings once and my fastest reaction time is not quick enough before AA prompts kick in. The documentation on call back indicates that if the AA prompts kick in prior to hanging up, call back will not work. So I am not able to get this feature working since the Quadro is not even attempting the call back due to AA prompting prior to hang up. I have searched high and low to force the Quadro to ring more before answering but it only rings once and AA answers before ring one is even completed.

On original post, I do not understand why call relay worked fine with Sotel, but now not with Fusion. I am guessing that Sotel paid no attention to the p-asserted-ID field but Fusion does.

In any case, we really need this call relay or callback to work. Is there something I am missing that is making all these callback features not work as they are designed to?

I welcome any further advice you can provide...

Thank you,
    Chance

Quadro Architect

Hi Chance,

your call to AA is answered immediately, because the Quadro does not find the caller number in the Authorized Phones Database. If it finds the caller, it will not answer for about 10-15 sec, so you will listen a lot of callback rings and have a time to hang up.

It doesn't find the caller in the database, because I guess PSTN type is not correct in your case. PSTN as a caller type means that the call came from one of the PSTN ports on the unit (FXO ports in case of Quadro4x). But I guess your mobile calls are coming from a different route?

I still do not find in your posts any information on how those mobile calls reach the Quadro. Do they come via ITSP? Or maybe through PSTN gateway? Or somehow else?

In any case you could try to use call type "SIP" instead of "PSTN", and use 10-digit mobile number (or whatever your mobile provider sends as a caller ID for those mobile calls) in the following way: "xxxxxxxxxx@*", where the xxxxxxxxxx is the mobile number. Make sure your provider sends the whole mobile number as caller ID. If unsure, look into the call statistics to see how the caller is presented on those calls. If callback still does not work, copy the corresponding row of the Call Statistics table here in the forum, so I can look.

Hi David,

Okay, thank you for that information. I did go in and change the call type to sip, entered the ##########@* as suggested after verifying that is how it was presented in Call Statistics. Dialed in to Quadro, let it ring two times, hung up, and the Quadro did call the mobile number back. But when I answered, it went right into AA asking me "If you know your party's extension..." It did not ask me to enter the external number I wanted the Quadro to connect me to.

So, I went back in to Authorized Phones Database and saw that I did not have Automatically Enter Call Relay Menu checked, but I did have Enable Callback checked. To make sure I had tried everything before posting the above paragraph, I checked the Automatically Enter Call Relay as well as Enable Callback and saved it. It now works like a charm. Thought I would post this to let others know both these options must be checked as well as the data entered as you suggested.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help with this.

Chance

Quadro Architect

Just FYI - setting "Automatically Enter Call Relay Menu" is not mandatory, it just makes the usage of callback easier, if all you need is the Call Relay. If it is not set, you still can go to Call Relay menu by pressing *1 or *2 when you listen "If you know your party's extension..." greeting.

Glad it works well now.

Thread Information