Thread: Auto Provision Snom phones using DNS hostname as registra

Default Auto Provision Snom phones using DNS hostname as registra

We are moving office very soon (and also to be future proof) and will need to migrate our Epygi onto a different IP on a different subnet.

We have many handsets (as in over 40 last I counted) registered to this Epygi which we must now move.

I always wanted to work out how to get the Epygi to auto provision the Snom NOT using IP address. Currently they just get provision with everything using IP address isntead of DNS host name.

Example the "Registra" field on the Snom (which were auto provisioned via DHCP option 66 / 67) all has the IP address of the Epygi unit.

When we change the IP address of the Epygi they will cease to work (?) as they now can't conenct to it as it is somewhere else. This means we have to reset & reconfig them all during the move! The Snom are spread through out our remote office so it is not an easy task remotely reconfiguring them on the day.

We are moving over a weekend and there are too many other things to do already. I was thinking if I could get them to provision (a few each day in between other things) but instead with the "Registra" as the dns hostname i.e epygi.domain.com This way it wouldn't matter where the Epygi is located the Snom will find it via DNS.

The snom docs says you can enter dns hostname or IP.

Since the Epygi is the one handing out the config setting it should be made to give out DNS host name instead of IP. Question is how do I do this??

I have look at all the settings I could find but cannot find anything to do this. Is there any reason why it does not give out it dns hostname by default?

How do I keep the auto config goodness of the Epygi but just change this one setting or have I done it all wrong.
    Last edited by woods; 02-14-2012 at 01:07 AM.

Quadro Architect

Truly saying I don't fully get the idea behind this...

If your phones are inside the office and are using Epygi autoprovisioning, then after moving all you have to do it to factory reset them. They will find the Epygi unit and register themselves. Very easy and nothing to change neither on the Epygi nor on the phones.

Actually if they are on the LAN side of Quadro, then even no factory reset needed, as the IP address of the LAN side doesn't have to change when moving the office, I suppose..

So... what the problem..?

I'll retry to explain the problem.

Epygi sit @ our head office - Office A with IP: 192.168.A.10

Phones are at 10 remote sites (about 4 at each sites x 10 sites) which are connected via a VPN.
    Site B 192.168.B.x with 4 phones
    Site C 192.168.C.x with 4 phones
    Site D 192.168.D.x with 4 phones
    etc

Currently all the snom at those remote sites (and every other ones) refers to the Epygi via IP. This is how they are config by the Epygi via auto provisioning.

All phones are provisioned via the WAN port via DHCP option 66 / 67.

For the benefit of those playing along, BIND DHCPD options are
    Code:
    # Match Snom phones by first 4 characters of the "vendor-class-identifier"
                    if substring(option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 4) = "snom"
                    {
                            #Set the IP PBX where the config file can be downloaded from

option tftp-server-name "epygi.ourdomain.com";

#Set the name of the Snom Config file
                            option bootfile-name "snom.cgi?mac={mac}";
                    }
    A network capture of one of the config looks like this

Code:
    <user_host idx="1" perm="R">192.168.A.10:5060</user_host>
    <user_outbound idx="1" perm="R">192.168.A.10:5060</user_outbound>
    We will then need to move the Epygi to a new office and change the IP to 192.168.Z.x (i.e Epygi now no longer @ 192.168.A.10).

Those snom now can't make any calls etc as they can't contact the Epygi (now on a different IP).

To fix the above we would need to "Reset"/re-config all 40 Snom. so that they pickups the new IP & and SOME of the config. We then need to setup the pickup group button, call park button etc. for all 40 phones as the Epygi can't do this (yet?).

We are moving on a weekend and only have an hour or two to reset all 40 phones. Another problem is that you will need someone to be on site at the remote site to press the OK button on the Snom to acknowledge the reset prompt (is there a way to make it not prompt? so we don't need someone to pres the OK button).

As you can see it's not fun or practical to do them all in such a short period (with no one on site to press OK to the prompt).

Hopefully that explains it better.

Now if PRIOR to the moving day, like a week or two before that we re-config the snom using the registra setting as a DNS hostname i.e epygi.ourdomain.com.

The config should then look like this

Code:
    <user_host idx="1" perm="R">epygi.ourdomain.com:5060</user_host>  
    <user_outbound idx="1" perm="R">epygi.ourdomain.com:5060</user_outbound>
    Then on the day we move we would only need to change the DNS record to now point to the new IP, and bang all the phones are now connected to the Epygi again and all is happy. Or alternative when ever we need to change the IP of the phone we can do the same.

Everything else can already be done using DNS (routing rules etc). Why is the autoprovising being left behind in static IP world The Epygi already has a DNS hostname config. Why is this not being handed out to the Snom? I'm just wondering what the thinking / technical is behind this.

Where is Kevin with his creative solution / hack / work around) when you need him
    Last edited by woods; 02-15-2012 at 11:35 PM.

Quadro Architect

No Kevin -> no solution...

Seriously, I think there is no solution needed, because most probably there will be no problem. When you move to the new office, you need to reconfigure first your DHCP server (BIND DHCPD), connect the Quadro and configure that (IP address etc).

After that you just need to power up the phones (no factory reset needed). Phones will get the main part of the config from Quadro (including the proxy IP addresses). The manual settings you made on the phone will be preserved (I assume you have "Preconfigured" set on the Quadro on the "Programmable Keys Configuration" of the key you have manually set on the phones). In other words, phone will get the most of its configuration from Quadro, while keeping manual settings; actually it does the same during regular phone reboot.

So most probably no work should be made when moving...

Best regards,
    David

P.S. One related note: there are however 3 fileds on the Snom, which contain IP of the Quadro, and which are not overwritten by Quadro when phone reboots (so they will still keep the old IP address of Quadro, when you move). Those are "dkey_directory", "dkey_record" and "action_setup_url". But if you need them, you can manually reconfigure them right now to use some fqdn.

P.S.2 To prove this will work, you can make small experiment: sometime at late evening, when nobody is in the office, set up one more experimental Quadro in your office (hope you have some in stock..), then change the record in DHCP server to point to the new Quadro IP address. Then reboot one of the phones. It should get the new config from the new Quadro, with all the new IP addresses, while keeping the old manual settings.
    Don't forget to revert back the changes after the test

davrays,

Thanks for the info. I did not know you could do that. Fortunately I have a 2x unit that was to be decommissioned from active usage that I can test on (and also a plan B if that fails).

It is still better if this could be config via DNS. Can you add this as a feature request I can't imagine it would be that hard to implement.

Kevin is probably too busy setting more Epygi units

Im always around to get dirty

Happy to help when and where I can - you know that Ben !

Talk soon - if you need me.

Kev

Quadro Architect

Kevin is back to get dirty - that's good news

Regarding using the DNS name for configuring the phones... Yes, it is not hard, actually is pretty easy. But somehow I don't like that idea, to be honest... That not because teh idea is bad, but because I don't see a need in that feature.

First of all, currently Quadro is not aware of its public DNS name. We don't have a place on the Quadro to configure that. The one you see on the "System Configuration Wizard", is the Quadro hostname/domainname, which is supposed to be used only by devices in Quadro LAN (which use Quadro as DNS server). That hostname isn't the one Quadro is known on public DNS servers. In other words, if your Quadro's public FQDN is "quadro.dyndns.org", you cannot use that name in Sys Config Wizard...

Of course, we can add a special place on the GUI to enter the DNS name to be provided to the phones by Quadro. This will probably make the system even more flexible, but will also complicate it even more, and will give new reasons for confusion and new ways to mis-configure the PBX. Right now I don't see yet a valid reason to do that, and would like to avoid complicating things without a real need (as everything can be done now without having that option).

David

I'll still keep my vote for this 'feature' as I can't think of another way to achieve the same.

How about adding this into one of those hidden pages your average customers won't ever notice. If it ever becomes popular then make it show up in a non hidden page.

Quote Originally Posted by davrays View Post
    Kevin is back to get dirty - that's good news

Regarding using the DNS name for configuring the phones... Yes, it is not hard, actually is pretty easy. But somehow I don't like that idea, to be honest... That not because teh idea is bad, but because I don't see a need in that feature.

First of all, currently Quadro is not aware of its public DNS name. We don't have a place on the Quadro to configure that. The one you see on the "System Configuration Wizard", is the Quadro hostname/domainname, which is supposed to be used only by devices in Quadro LAN (which use Quadro as DNS server). That hostname isn't the one Quadro is known on public DNS servers. In other words, if your Quadro's public FQDN is "quadro.dyndns.org", you cannot use that name in Sys Config Wizard...

Of course, we can add a special place on the GUI to enter the DNS name to be provided to the phones by Quadro. This will probably make the system even more flexible, but will also complicate it even more, and will give new reasons for confusion and new ways to mis-configure the PBX. Right now I don't see yet a valid reason to do that, and would like to avoid complicating things without a real need (as everything can be done now without having that option).

David
    Re Mis configurations....

More money for me????

Service service service....

Kev

Thread Information