Thread: Snom 300 external provisioning server

Default Snom 300 external provisioning server

We have some snom 300s, a quadro 2xi and an external provisioning/dhcp server. We have turned off "Enable PnP for IP lines" and "Enable firmware version control" in the line settings in an attempt to turn off the quadro's own provisioning system. We have set up the external dhcp server to push out DHCP option 66 and 67 to the snom handsets so that they will pull the config from our provisioning server instead of the quadro 2xi.

The provisioning and DHCP server works fine with the snom 300s in isolation but as soon the quadro in introduced to the network the snoms refuse to finish booting simply displaying "Checking config..."

A quick inspection of the network traffic with wireshark shows that the snom 300 phones are sending out SIP SUBSCRIBE requests to 224.0.1.75 and the epygi is responding with some configuration options. This seems to be what is causing the snom handsets to hang.

We don't want to manually change any settings on the snom handsets themselves as this would defeat the object of having a full featured external provisioning server

Is there any way to disable the quadro's SIP SUBSCRIBE service? Or are there other steps that must be taken when using an external dhcp/provisioning server with snom 300s?

Currently there is no way to disable that mechanism from Quadro, we will add it in the future releases. PnP is for new phones, but already configured ones should be auto-configured from Quadro as well, reply to that multi-cast message provides this functionality irrespective of PnP check-box. Snom, in your case, is trying to download configuration from Quadro, but it is not present, so Snom is not doing anything.
    Try to disable PnP from Snom phone's web GUI interface, from "Advanced" -> "Update" tab,
    or give direct path to your configuratoin server in "settings URL" from the same page.

one correction: SIP subscribe message is sent by Snom phone, Quadro reply to that message. So disabling that mechanism from the phone should be enough for your phone to not auto-configure from Quadro.

Thanks for the info. The answers seem to be that this cannot be disabled in the current firmware. We have hacked out way around the issue by changing the quadro's "Configure IP phones from:" setting on the Line settings page from LAN to WAN which seems to have worked. I presume the quadro listens for SIP multi-cast messages on the interface defined here. This is a bit of a bodge but there is only a firewalled router upstream of the quadro in out case so it shouldn't cause any issues

We are trying to avoid applying config manually to the snom phones as that is what we want the provisioning sever to do. We thought that using the snom's DHCP option 66 and 67 to set the settings server and url would do the trick but unfortunately the multi-cast reply to the SIP subscribe from the epygi takes precedent over the DHCP options set.

This SIP subscribe precedence over the DHCP options seems a bit backward as the DHCP options will almost definitely have been deliberately set.

Why not just set all the user extensions as OTHER.

Then the system relies upon You to set the telephone up rather than the extended effort to allow you to perform what I believe that the OTHER command on the Line settings will do and not do.

Or am I mistaken.....

Kev

While we wait for this fix, is there any way to edit (or simply add more config options) to the epygi?

This would be a VERY powerful feature if we could do that per template, espcially for Shared Office spaces running off the same PABX.

Our extensions are already set to "other" on the "line settings" page and unfortunately the quadro still replies to the SIP subscribe request sent by the snoms

Our extensions are already set to "other" on the "line settings" page and unfortunately the quadro still replies to the SIP subscribe request sent by the snoms

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Try this trick - Leave the Connect phones turned on the LAN.

Connecting your telephones via the wan port should mean the qudro isnt looking at the wan port for configuration if my guess is right and therefore should not respond to the SNOMS at all.

Kev

I think you're suggesting we connect the snoms to the WAN port? or that we change the Interface in line settings from LAN to WAN?

We have done the latter and it does indeed stop the quadro replying to the requests. This is the solution we have but it seems to be a bit of a hack to get it to work. A checkbox for turning off SIP subscribe replies would be very helpful for external provisioning

Quote Originally Posted by crduklimited View Post
    I think you're suggesting we connect the snoms to the WAN port? or that we change the Interface in line settings from LAN to WAN?

We have done the latter and it does indeed stop the quadro replying to the requests. This is the solution we have but it seems to be a bit of a hack to get it to work. A checkbox for turning off SIP subscribe replies would be very helpful for external provisioning

Snoms on the Wan is what I was hinting to whilst leaving the system to deploy via the Lan, and no it isnt a hack, it is how your request is curremtly achieved.

Kevin

Thread Information