Thread: Dropped PSTN Calls

Exclamation Dropped PSTN Calls

We're experiencing dropped PSTN calls. It doesn't happen every call but it's happening fairly often. We're using analog FXS phones internally and dialling out through the PSTN FXO line. When a drop is about to happen, you hear background clicking similar to old pulse dialling in the background but not as distinct or clear and then you get dial tone a few seconds later. We have an Epygi quadro 4x.

I checked the logs and there's nothing of note in the logs. It's as if the call got disconnected either remotely or locally in a normal manner.

Here are the details on firmware:

Boot loader: 2.3.23/Release
    Firmware Version: 5.1.39/Release

Grant

Banned

Hey Grant
    Have you tried plugging an analog handset directly into the pstn line?
    It would help to narrow it down to the quadro or an external source on the line.
    Cheers

Okay, I tried using the PSTN line directly for a couple of days and bypassing epygi completely. During this extensive testing period, no calls were disconnected. However, I did notice that from time to time I heard the same background clicking (similar to the old train station timetables as they changed times) and instead of being disconnected, I heard it usually 4 times in quick succession with each sequence being about 1 to 2 seconds in duration and then the call continued. Clearly, the epygi was either misinterpreting this as a terminate call command or thought the call was disconnected somehow. Is there any way for me to see why a successful outgoing or incoming call is finally disconnected? The logs don't have this information in them...

I will follow up with the phone company about the clicking but I do think that the epygi system is to blame for actually disconnecting the call when this happens. Please advise.

Banned

Hey Grant
    Firstly I wouldn't be blaming the Quadro. It appears you have interference on the pstn line. The Quado can only interpret any tones it hears. I would pursue this through you pstn line provider to ensure you do not have a crossed line. Also is there any security service on these pstn lines. It would appear to me that the Quadro is classing these "clicks" as a disconnect sequence. They could be judged as a 100ms pulse and trigger a call wait feature here in Australia. Further investigation by your telco would be advised.
    Cheers

As noted before, I am pursuing the issue with my phone provider but resolution may be slow. However, I'd like some feedback from the technical folks at epygi about what could possibly be interpreted as a disconnect or something like that and, if possible, how to reconfigure the epygi to ignore such events.

Thread Information