Thread: noise on incoming call FXO only

Default noise on incoming call FXO only

All calls to and from the extension is fine but when PSTN call is received there is noise. However I can make calls OK. In the configuration, the pstn line is plugged to FXO2 and forwarded to the extension. I ran the FXO diagnostics and it ran OK and suggested updating the fxocfg.cgi, which I did but this did not solve the problem. I am new on the QuadroM8L and any pointers much appreciated.

Are you getting the same noise when you plug the PSTN line into other FXO ports on the same device?

Quote Originally Posted by hrant View Post
    Are you getting the same noise when you plug the PSTN line into other FXO ports on the same device?
    Yes, I switched to other FXO ports and same results and frustrating. However, I luckily came across this problem of noise on a forwarded call in this forum:

++++++++++++
    There is a bug with 5.2.9 firmware.

This is known issue, which will be fixed in next releases.

To overcome this, enter into Users->Extensions Management and click on the link in codecs column. Select "Make and accept only unsecure calls" in the "Secure RTP Settings" list-box. Do the below described for each extension

Cheers
    Mike
    +++++++++++++

It appeared to be unrelated but I gave it a shot. I changed the setting to "Make and accept only unsecure calls" and it resolved the issue.

I wonder why this resolved the issue and also more importantly if this FXO problem is already known why it there is not an urgent notification that comes with the new unit with FXO ports.

This issue is not related directly to FXO ports. It is compatibility issue between the old and new software releases related to all kinds of the call endpoints. More specifically: one endpoint is sending the voice in encrypted format and the other enpoint is expecting in un-encrypted format resulting in noise instead of intelligible voice.
    As far as the notification is concerned then you are right, it is Epygi's fault, many customers suffered because of this. Unfortunately, when some of the units had been shipped, that issue had not been known yet. The details of the issue are in the Release Notes.
    Sorry for inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by hrant View Post
    This issue is not related directly to FXO ports. It is compatibility issue between the old and new software releases related to all kinds of the call endpoints. More specifically: one endpoint is sending the voice in encrypted format and the other enpoint is expecting in un-encrypted format resulting in noise instead of intelligible voice.
    As far as the notification is concerned then you are right, it is Epygi's fault, many customers suffered because of this. Unfortunately, when some of the units had been shipped, that issue had not been known yet. The details of the issue are in the Release Notes.
    Sorry for inconvenience.
    Many thanks for your assistance, it makes sense now.

Thread Information