Thread: Epygi / Alcatel via SIP

Default Epygi / Alcatel via SIP

Hi all

Thanks for a great forum, have been reading and browsing through quiet a bit just to get a feel for the world of Epygi, which is still new to me - my back ground is on the Nortel side, but enough of that.

Here is my challenge: I did not get many results back when searching for posts related to Alcatel, so here goes my question:

Customer has a SIP enabled Alcatel PBX at their head office, they want to get an Epygi for one of their new branch offices in a neighboring country. We have quoted them on a 4Li (ISDN), to take x2 BRI lines and enable the VoIP calls via VPN tunnels to their head office.

Our objective for this week is to set up a demo unit at their head office, put it on the customer's data network, and make calls out via the Alcatel, and/or call extensions on the Alcatel.

This may be straight forward, but for me it poses a bit of a challenge, especially considering the customer's time frames - they want to have their live unit up and running by next week Tuesday.

If any one has pointers for me that are not stated in the installation and administration manuals - yes, I'm reading those too - I appreciate any advise.

Thanks and regards

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri.Suter View Post
    If any one has pointers for me that are not stated in the installation and administration manuals - yes, I'm reading those too

Im glad people dont just throw the manual thats on the cd in the box and forget it...

I guess the 1 point to the exercise will be to prove that the Alcatel ( proprietry system - viva la francaise ! ) might not talk really well in open SIP, so you might have to do some testing.

I would suggest that you get them to use a softphone to prove the link where the Alcatel is to your Quadro. Make sure that you have that leg squared away...

Then apply the Sip details to the Alcatel ...

That way, you have a reference point to say the link is fine, the Quadro is fine ( as if it wouldnt be ) and that all routing is correct.

This means you can work on the Alcatels signalling to try and match the Quadro. Now if the Alcatels SIP is not true SIP ( as most of the brand names seem to have slight variances to true sip that I have found ), it would be very possible to put a Sip server in front of the Alcatel especially if it has ISDN BRI or ISDN E1/T1 then to SIP to the Quadro, I have done that many a time ( just dont tell David its a no name brand SIP Server whos name can not be named )

This sort of setup can provide transparency for the Alcatel users and also the head office who would be using the Quadro.

You would be able to program the Quadro to have site to site Extension dialling and transfers.

So, to recap, prove your link, take that out of the equation, same goes for the Quadro via a softphone at the satellite office.

Then work on the Alcatel ....

Regards

Kev

Hey Kev - thanks for your response. The Alcatel is managed by some one else, so I have absolutely no say on that side, but wouldn't be the first time that I have to "help" some one else to get their side working. Since the Alcatel is at their head office and the Quadro will be deployed at the branch office, I will have to prove a lot to them.
    Just on a side note, and I will post this else where - was upgrading the s/w on the quadro today when it lost power... so at the moment I have a good looking box with a couple of LED's - that's it

Cheers mate

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri.Suter View Post
    Hey Kev - thanks for your response. The Alcatel is managed by some one else, so I have absolutely no say on that side, but wouldn't be the first time that I have to "help" some one else to get their side working. Since the Alcatel is at their head office and the Quadro will be deployed at the branch office, I will have to prove a lot to them.
    Just on a side note, and I will post this else where - was upgrading the s/w on the quadro today when it lost power... so at the moment I have a good looking box with a couple of LED's - that's it

Cheers mate
    Ouch ... send a PM to david he might have the answer toget you back operational...

Kev

Thanks Kev - I posted the problem and got the recommended steps from him

Hello all,

We installed today a Quadro 2X Sw 5.1 and Alcatel Lucent OXE release 9.1, SIP conection without problem, we going to test the next week all function that we can do.

Cineto Telecomunicaciones
    Quito - Ecuador

Thread Information