Thread: Finding low wattage devices to match Epygi's energy efficiency

Question Finding low wattage devices to match Epygi's energy efficiency

Epygi clearly leads in the area of energy efficient devices, though you have to be looking to find that out. It is descretely mentioned on the Success Stories webpage in a couple of the PDF's (directly in 'Going Green', 'low maintenance costs' in others), in the support centre's knowledge base, there is an article on Measured power consumption of Quadro product line that has the maximum power needed for UPS for each Epygi device, and in this forum there's greater detail for Quadros under IP-PBX Products > Trouble Shooting and Problems > Energy Consumption.

IT devices have extended hours of operation and so low wattage adds up. Low wattage is also important for people using PV panels for power supply, and their numbers are increasing. I'm interested in seeing lower energy IT solutions gathered so others do not have to spend the absurd amount of time it has taken me to get solutions that use significantly less energy. I am both looking for information and sharing what I've learned.

I hunted down an energy efficient computer and, as well as the Australian Consumer Association's (ACA) evaluations and Energy Star, found EPEAT's research on the web. EPEAT, Energy Star and ACA do not provide comparison power use research on modems, switches, IP phones etc. Energy Star does rate external power adapters (EPA's) which are so commonly used with electronic equipment, and their efficiency varies enormously. Many of Netgear's products are using an Energy Star rated EPA as are DLink, Cisco and others, and the brand of EPA Netgear uses is the brand my Quadro 2X came with...though I notice they do vary in efficiency between models... and the particular model is not currently listed...

While looking for appropriate products I found snom's commissioned research on IP phones' wattage through PoE, on the snom website. snom clearly leads with lowest wattage IP phones on the market, unless they left some competitor out of the research who is as efficient as they are. That research, using 2 PoE switches, shows the switch itself is very important to the power consumption (snom has shown the more efficient switch results on its website, and provides no power consumption information for the M3 cordless 'phone on its data sheet or overview page). Many websites make accessing wattage information impossible, and while the power consumption will vary a maximum wattage gives some indication, as do port power down and cable length detection (longer cable = more power). Netgear advertises their 'green' products but does not include wattage for all the items, and one suspects that the features they promote such as Powerline Idle - going into low power mode; Port Auto Power Down - detecting no device; Cable Length Power Save may be in other products by better manufacturers, but not stated as special features! As I'm not an industry insider I would not know. Shoretel's website shows interesting evidence for device based solutions being more energy efficient than server based solutions when it comes to VoIP. The Tolly Group and their Common Test Plan seem well equiped to research and compare devices, but I'm yet to find freely accessible, independent, broadrangeing IT equipment comparisons (understandably, given costs, it seems that research is often commissioned between a couple of devices.)

Is PoE actually a more efficient or less efficient way of delivering electricity to devices? Clearly it is very neat delivery 2 in 1 - power and internet. The Alternative Technology Association here say that a plug into socket power supply can be more efficient for applications where ethernet cable is more than 10 metres. This leads to my questioning if plug in power might be more efficient for my IP phone set up, and whether to get a PoE switch or a non PoE switch. (Of course I'd like the PoE to be the more efficient method, but conjecture and wishful thinking are not the same as facts!)

Does anyone have good information on most energy efficient switches/methods for my Quadro 2X? (I'm starting with only 3 'phones just now.) Any information about most efficient modems? (Netgear can only tell me that their DGN3500 modem uses the same power supply as the DG834G, ad switches use more power for greater bandwidth, so I'd have thought increased bandwidth modems might use more power too.) I'll be using 5E ethernet cable cut to needed lengths to connect devices (and in the more flexible durable version, so it won't need replacing too soon and I'll be able to replace faulty terminations).

I'll be very interested to hear others' thinking along these lines!

Susan Moss
    Last edited by moss_sm; 05-11-2010 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Additional Information

The difference between PoE and good switchmode plugpacks will be VERY minimal... If you want to make a DIFFERENCE to the efficency of your equipment then Install some solar panels and a grid inverter on your roof Much better investment of your money considering how cheap solar panels are nowdays

Thread Information