Thread: High Sync, low speed

Default High Sync, low speed

We've got an Epygi 2x on an ADSL2+ network, and the sync on the line is good (~17meg), however speeds are terrible (<2meg). We're concerned that there might be some QoS on the box that is incorrectly configured, and udnerstand that there is a 'hidden' configuration page - I've searched, but can't find any reference for this - does anyone know how to get to this page or have any other suggestions for tackling this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by rebble85 View Post
    We've got an Epygi 2x on an ADSL2+ network, and the sync on the line is good (~17meg), however speeds are terrible (<2meg). We're concerned that there might be some QoS on the box that is incorrectly configured, and udnerstand that there is a 'hidden' configuration page - I've searched, but can't find any reference for this - does anyone know how to get to this page or have any other suggestions for tackling this issue?

I take it you are using the Quadro as a router ?

If so, try this ... put a router in front of the Qudro, plug your PC on the router ... leave the telephones on the lan of the quadro .... does the bandwidth then increase for your PC ? if so you fixed it .. if not then there is another bottleneck some where causing the problem ... maybe a flaky Modem ?

Kevin

We have a Draytek router infront of the Epygi - we've swapped this out for a Zyxel and the problem persists. Our provider tells me that they mirror the QoS settings of our Epygi (which seems odd to me) so that's why I'd like to dig deeper into the Epygi settings...

Enlighten us , what does your network lok like ..

The Quadro doesnt need any speed.. it can work confortably with as little bandwidth as 512k upstream to provide calls providing there is low enough latency you can achieve decent quality calls.

So where does the speed come into it ?

The hidden page is "tos.cgi".
    The TOS Settings page allows specifying the value for the Type of Service setting (ToS) for SIP and RTP packets. The ToS setting is used in IP packets to notify routers how to handle the packet (precedence, delay, reliability, etc.). low, medium, high: Values for the ToS setting for low, medium and high priority RTP packets respectively. The priority level of RTP is chosen from the UsersàExtension ManagementàEdit Entry page for the selected extension. SIP TOS sets the ToS value for SIP packets.

Thus, if your router/provider handles the TOS settings approprietly, it should give the higher priority to voice and SIP packets, that's it. However, it should not anyhow affect the data speed because the voice streams will use just a small fraction of you 17 Mbps. Connect your devices as Kevin suggested: WAN of the Quadro and PCs to the router. IP phones to LAN of Quadro. If you still have < 2 Mbps then something is wrong on your connection to provider.

Thread Information