Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Initial Handset Configuration - Best Practice

Default Initial Handset Configuration - Best Practice

Hi All,

I've had a look through a few of the manuals and can't seem to find how the Quadro M32 works with initial configurations of phones. I understand that it downloads the configuration from the configured TFTP server, which I'm guess it just assumes is the same as the gateway for the initial configuration.

However, in my situation I have a router issuing DHCP with the M32 behind it along with various other handsets. I have created the required extensions in extension management and added their MAC addresses in the IP Lines area. However, when these handsets pick up a DHCP lease from the router they won't download the configuration from the Quadro and register, but if they get a DHCP lease from the Quadro they download the configuration and register without an issue. All the IP's are in the same subnet mask.

My question is there a best practice for deploying a large number of handsets in this situation?

For the most of the following phone models: Snom, Yealink, Polycom, Aastra (for Polycom and Aastra if your 3d party DHCP server is not providing option 66, which is true in most cases), there is another mechanizm for phones to find the configuration server (which is Quadro in this case). So you should not have issue in automatic configuration and PnP of those phone models in your scenario.
    For the rest phones, if you are using 3d party DHCP server, then you will need either to configure that DHCP server to provide in option 66 the IP address of Quadro, or from each phone's GUI set up configuration server field (different phone models has different GUI settings)

For further information please read "Configuring Epygi supported IP Phones" and "Configuring Epygi Tested IP Phones" manuals.

I am a great believer of seperating telehones from the LAN traffic so I would do the following which works in most of the cases for the telephony that I have been installing.

Connect the WAN side of the Quadro to the PC Lan where the dirty data is.

The LAN side of the Quadro to another Switch - usually POE 10/100 and connect all telephones to that.

In that scenario you can identify and easily rectify issues that may arise and it makes the telephony network cleaner for Voice Traffic, which means a happier environment.

Just my thoughts,

Kevin
    Last edited by KSComs; 04-15-2010 at 04:26 AM.

I completely agree with you Kevin,
    if there is possibility to physically separate voice and data networks, this will be the best choice.

Kevin,

I get the meaning of connecting the LAN port of the Quadro to a switch and then telephones to the switch, but what do you mean about connecting the WAN side of the Quadro to the PC LAN?

Are you suggesting the computer be connected to the modem directly and that way separating data from voice or something else?

I had envisaged using the switch to plug both computers and telephones into, and had been wondering just how important it is to have QOS on the switch for my small home office situation, but perhaps this is a cheaper solution??

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Last edited by moss_sm; 07-08-2010 at 12:53 PM.

In the mean time that scenario you can identify and easily rectify issues that may arise and it makes the telephony network cleaner for Voice Traffic, which means a happier environment.

Used Auto Parts
    Used Car Parts

Default Documentation

Quote Originally Posted by Harutyun View Post
    For further information please read "Configuring Epygi supported IP Phones" and "Configuring Epygi Tested IP Phones" manuals.
    Hi all,

I am missing the steps to set-up a Snom M3 gateway with a Quadro 2X and saw this post referencing manuals. I cannot find these on the Epygi support site - can someone direct me to where they should be?

Thanks,

Peer

information can be found in "Configuring Epygi Teste IP phones" document on the portal.

There are general steps description on the beginning of document, then in the section spesific for the Snom M3, resetting phone to factory default settings should be enough to auto-configure it.

Thread Information