Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Packet Loss with no reported packet loss.

Quadro Architect

Well, in that case we need to undetstand what do they mean saying "dropped". Do they suddennly lose audio, but the call seem to be active on the phone, or the call disconnects and they get dialtone on their phones?

I know for sure one was a complete disconnect, We also just noticed the the asynchronous Packet sizes are only happening on outbound calls.

Quadro Architect

Actually if that happens often, it should be easy to capture the logs of the dropped call.
    The logs you have sent were downloaded a bit too late (about an hour after the problem time you indicated in the comment), and don't contain the full info. I'll try to look there again and dig out any potentially incorrect behaviour from phone or Quadro, but I am not sure if I'll find that.
    If this happens often, please tell them to immediately collect logs, and also inform you about the called/caller of the dropped call, so we can find it easily. In 5.2 we will introduce a capability to collect logs by just dialing a key sequence on the phone (so any user can dial that and so catch the moment of the problem), but for now they have to login to GUI to download logs. Hopefully they can do that in 15 minutes after problem, so logs will not be overwritten.

In any case I'll inform you if I find anything in the logs I have now.

Best regards,
    David

Should be easier to capture now that we know it is always outbound. Will do my best to get you one.

Got a capture but to large to post here. Do you want me to send it thru Epygi trouble ticket?

Quadro Architect

Aaron, I see you opened a ticket with that capture (the logs). In the logs I can see a normal call and aslo your comment saying "**** Call at 11:23 am CST****", as well as mail comment "New capture with example of asymetrical packet sizes".
    Yes, I confirm, that call had asymmetric packet sizes.

So the main question still remains: what is the problem with this call from your standpoint? Was that call finished unexpectedly, or this is just an example of asymmetric media call?

This is just an example. Still would like to know what causes it, and why only on outbound? ( though we no longer think so as our call drop issue seems to have been corrected by replacing the switch at our customers location)

Quadro Architect

This is happening because your Linksys SPA922 phone is announcing a 30msec packetisation interval (probably you configured that to behave that way ).

The ITSP accepts the call but announces 20 msec (the default). Thus everyone sends what they wanted: the Linksys sends big 30msec packets, while the ITSP sends the smalller 20 msec packets. Not sure if this is correct behaviour from the phone and ITSP (each sends accoring to its own preference, ignoring the other side), but anyway - this is up to the phone and ITSP. Actually Quadro has nothing to do with this issue - it just serves as a signaling proxy, passing the SIP messages. The issue is completely at the Phone and ITSP side.
    If you reconfigure the Linksys phones (set them to use default 20 msec packetization), the issue will disappear.

Best regards,
    David

Thumbs up

AT LAST!!!!!! The Mystery revealed!!!!!....now finally I can sleep again at night...I can go to the bathroom again....I can at last rest well in the comfort of knowledge....much thanks amigo.

Do you think this could cause any issue like Jitter, robotic voice, audio break-up...anything noticeable?

Thread Information