Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Packet Loss with no reported packet loss.

Default Packet Loss with no reported packet loss.

Had a customer with a dropped call today. When looking at the call statistics I see that the transmitted and received packets don't match, but there is no packet loss reported. Any Ideas on what this means? ( See attachment Below)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Look at the transmitted package sizes ...

The packet sizes are different at either end - there fore you will be sending more information in the packet of info than you would receiving.

Large packet size = more packets of info
    Medium packet size = less packets of info as compared to the above

Now work out why one is sending a larger packet size than the other

Kev

Ok so I am at a loss for the how on 2 different packet sizes. Isn't packet size negotiated between devices?

Got another one with no idea why this is happening, though it seems to be happening to the same phone
    Attached Files Attached Files

I would suggest to look at how the route between the Quadros is technically made .. ie .. Quadro 1 --> DSL --> Fibre --> Wireless --> Quadro2

Or somethng like that will let you know the what where and whys... perhaps the topology is the missing link...

Kev

Quadro Architect

There are at least two strange things in those stats:
    1. Why the packets size is asymmetric (actually that could happen if the phone is configured to use 30 msec packetisation interval instead of 20 msec). In any case thats not a big problem as the communication can be asymmetric - there is no violation of standards.
    2. Why the number of packets received in one leg of the call, don't correspond to the packets transmitted on the other leg. This is not clear to me, and we will loook into this.

But in any case, Aaron, can you send the corresponding logs to Epygi Tech Support, so we can see the exactl call scenario?
    You can tell them those logs are for me

Best regards,
    David

Will do my best to get it. Have not been able to reproduce it on demand. Is there a way I can have Epygi alert me when its sees the variation in the call statistics?

Call Log with confirmed capture has been sent to you via trouble ticket.

Quadro Architect

Ok, I have revewed those logs, and the reason turned to be simple - such statistics appears on the calls, which were hold then unholded during the conversation.. There is a small bug in the call statistics calculations: the TX packets count is shown for the whole duration of the call, while the RX is shown for the last piece of the call (after last "unhold"). We'll fix this - most probably will show both numbers fro the last pieece of the call (as showing the number for the whole conversation could be tricky, taking into account possible codec/port changes when call is unholded).

So either this statistics has no relation to the call drop. Or... can you confirm that all the calls which have such stats were dropped?

That is confirmed with this customer. All calls with these stats have dropped. Had two more on Friday.

Thread Information