Thread: best practices

Default best practices

Firstly, I must say that I'm impressed with the quality and detail of my Quadro 2x which I purchased to dip my toes into the VoIP market. I have lots to learn and the excellent documentation and this forum helps a great deal. To date, I have tested the Unidata WP7700 WiFi phone, softphones and a Mobotix IP security cameras - my specialty.

1) I am going to create a custom IVR using VXML - is it best to use 00 or to create a new AA? What do the seasoned veterans typically do? What are the pros/cons?

2) For the above, is it possible to allow "...if you know the extension you wish to reach, you may dial it now or press 1 for sales, 2 for support..." if my extensions are the default 2 digits? That is, is it simply a matter of adding another <option> in my XML file with dtmf="22" or would that send the calls to support after the caller presses the first 2?

3) Security - from a AA/PBX perspective, what should be locked down / verified to ensure that my Quadro cannot be compromised? I have verified the network side of things.

--
    Marc

Quadro Architect

Hi Marc

I'll try to answer your questions:

1. you can do both ways. I personally would create a new AA extension and use that but this is matter of taste. No special prs or cons. The onlt thing you need to keep in mind: the extension 00 is a bit special one, as the codecs of that extension are often used to make calls in complex situations when it is not clear which extension's codecs to use. Thats why I prefer to experiment with new created AAs, but not with 00... Moreover you can always delete the new AA, and return to the old state of the system, which you cannot do if you modify the 00.

2. if you use both <option dtmf="2"> and <option dtmf="22">, they will conflict with each other. Actally the option 22 will be unreachable. If you want to use 1,2,3 and also two digit extensions, there are several ways to go.
    I would suggest the following way: you can use the " type="digits?length=2" " with no <options> specified. In that case if users dial two digit extension, the call will immediately proceed, and if they dial just oone digit, after 4 seconds the call will go to extension 1 or extention 2, etc. You just need to make sure you use the "connect" method, and that you created the xetensions "1", "2", "3" etc (note that you can create extensions of any lenght up to 20-digit).

3. Well, this is a long topic. There is a good doc on that, called "Preventing Unauthorised calls...". You can download it from the support portal. If you read and understand that, you can be sure you can secure the Quadro from PBX perspective.

Best regards,
    David

Thumbs up Thanks!

Hi David,

Thank you for your detailed response. I created a new AA with a custom IVR, along with some VEs/MERg groups, signed up with an ITSP and all works very well. My next challenge is with the Call Back Services, but I'll post a new thread once I've experimented some more.

This forum is an excellent resource and I'd like to thank Kevin for his excellent posts as well.

--
    Marc

Thread Information