Thread: I can hear myself!!

Default I can hear myself!!

I have a customer complaining that they can hear themselves and it is very hard to concertrate. I have not been able to pin point the problem yet as it does not seem unique to any particular situation.
    I have tried gain control on the quadro, fxo diagnostics, codec's. nothing seems to fix it.
    system is a 4x4-RM with aastra phones.

Any suggestions?

Quadro Architect

This is exactly the famous "echo problem". Most often it happens on PSTN calls.

There are some docs and tools related to echo at the "Support Center » Downloads » Support Resources » Supplementary Resources". Did you read/try them all?

Best regards,
    David

tried it. Even ran the echo analyiser on a call that I captured and it said all was OK.

Anything else.

Quadro Architect

Did you ever listen that echo yourself?

Does it happen just at the beginning or in the middle of a call? Does it disappear itself or it stays until the call ends?

Does it happen on all types of calls or only on FXO (or SIP, or ITSP) calls? Without knowing that you will never find the reason, as you even don't know which kind of call to capture to analyse...

Quote Originally Posted by ccopley View Post
    I have a customer complaining that they can hear themselves and it is very hard to concertrate. I have not been able to pin point the problem yet as it does not seem unique to any particular situation.
    I have tried gain control on the quadro, fxo diagnostics, codec's. nothing seems to fix it.
    system is a 4x4-RM with aastra phones.

Any suggestions?
    Craig is it calls from the PSTN to Mobiles at all that is creating the Echo ?

Is it to 3 calls for your customer perhaps ... effectively when they roam from the 3 network at all ?

Regards

Kevin
    Last edited by KSComs; 06-21-2009 at 11:46 PM.

Default PSTN echo

We are also having this problem, I am still trying to isolate it down to the exact circumstance. I have experienced this myself and can hear my voice echoing back about a second or so after I speak and this continues for the duration of the call.

Now that you mention that it might have something to do with calling PSTN line this give me some clue to further isolate the problem. I've downloaded the echo analyzer but have not had a chance to try it out yet, will have to get around to this.

Quote Originally Posted by KSComs View Post
    is it calls from the PSTN to Mobiles at all that is creating the Echo ?
    seems to also be PSTN to PSTN as well.

Seems to be intermittent. I made a couple of calls and everything was perfect.......

not sure what is happening.

Customer believes that they have pin pointed what is happening.

They think that the call starts OK with a PSTN call and then 30 seconds in they can hear themselves talking. This lasts for around 30 seconds and is then fine again.

This sounds to me as though the system is taking a while for the echo cancelation algerithm to kick in. Would this be correct?

I need to confirm this again but I'm sure that it lasted the whole conversation, echo might have started 30 seconds in.

It is quite possible happening due to different carrier types, ie Telstra through to Optus or Telstra through to Powertel etc...

You might need to reduce the gain on the lines down to "balance" the types from all of the carriers.

In the past I have found that VoDSL services from Powertel seeming to be the main causes of unbalanced lines, especially when the call goes to the far end via Verisign IAD.

Kev

Thread Information