Thread: Remote phone(easiest to config)

Default Remote phone(easiest to config)

Hi, is there a model of IP phone you suggest to get an easy deployment in most remote scenario.

Quadro have a public IP

Most of remote sites will have phones behind routers. Usually our customers have between 2 and 5 Ip phone on each site.

Is there a way we can configure a phone and our customer can plug it anywhere like he does with softphone (X-Lite, QCM, etc) Why it is more complicated with hard phone :-(

Really appreciate your answers and informations. Feel free to share your own experiences and suggestions

regards

Hans T

Hans ... biggest problem to get around is nat... usually SNOM are traditionally easiest to provision remotely, although Polycom are very similar.

My 2 cents..

Kev

Thanks again kevin,
    can you provide config for the router at the remote side and for the phone. Do you know for Aastra 51i?? Or an example with Polycom 301.
    I have tried different config in the phones, no problem when I have only one to config, but as soon as I have more than one at the same remote site it doesn't work.

Another point is, can we configure a hard phone (I have heard than Linksys SPA9xx will do that) to act like a soft phone we can travel with anywhere and only plug and play without any config in the router ???

Thanks again,

Hans T

Quadro Architect

Quote Originally Posted by serviplexSIP View Post
    Thanks again kevin,
    can you provide config for the router at the remote side and for the phone. Do you know for Aastra 51i?? Or an example with Polycom 301.
    I have tried different config in the phones, no problem when I have only one to config, but as soon as I have more than one at the same remote site it doesn't work.
    Question: Is there a standard config we can have to have an easy setup for our customers. We are ready to always use the same brand of IP Phone if necessary. For now we are working on a Aastra 51i and Polycom IP301. It could be very appreciate if someone can take time to send us stadard confir for router and phone.
    I don't think there could be a standard solution, as there are different types of routers used at different customers.
    Generally speaking, the ideal setup for the remote site would be the following:
    Requirement 1 (practically mandatory).
    All phones have different SIP ports and RTP port ranges. You need to change them from the phone GUI. Otherwise you will have problems installing many phones behind the same router. The STUN needs to be enabled on the phone.

Requirement 2 (desirable, but may be omitted, if things are working ok).
    Add static mappings (port forwarding rules) on the router for all the SIP and RTP ports used on all the phones. This will be necessary if the router is using Symmetrical NAT (which is common in the most routers now), and router have timeouts for dynamic port mappings (close mappings after 3-5 minutes).

Requirement 2alt (alternative to req 2).
    Alternatively, instead of opening static mappings on the router, you could use the "Symmetric RTP" checkbox on the Quadro, and also set the registration timeout on the phone to some small value (about 3-5 minutes), to keep SIP ports on router always open.

These are the basic rules for that. At least what I can remember for now.

Quote Originally Posted by serviplexSIP View Post
    Another point is, can we configure a hard phone (I have heard than Linksys SPA9xx will do that) to act like a soft phone we can travel with anywhere and only plug and play without any config in the router ???
    See the requirements 1 and 2alt. Those could help you to setup such a phone, as they do not imply configuring the NAT/router, but only the phone..
    BTW, this is not dependant on the hard/soft-ness of the phone. Issues and solutions are the same actually...

Best regards,
    David

OK Thank you David, this help in understanding how it should work.
    Will try to do the job with what I have now.

regards,

Hans

OK It works now,

Thank you David

Hans T

Quadro Architect

I suppose you split the SIP and RTP ports for each device... Did you open the static mappings on firewall, or used "Symmetric RTP + short registration timeout" approach?

Hi David, you're right about the ports and I prefer the "Symmetric RTP + short registration timeout" approach. Easiest way for remote employees as they don't have to play with the router.

regards,

Hans T

One thing that I am not too sure about is the number of phones at each remote site. I understand that in theory there may be a large number of remote extensions possible per site, but I do remember reading somewhere that it is advisable to keep it down to about 2 extensions per location due to registration issues. Any more and you start to have problems with IP handsets registering to the quadro.

Hey there Craig,

I am not sure what you may have read, but it is quite possible to provide multiple SIP users at remote locations without too much bother ( just add bandwidth ).

The only real requirement would be the pipe... ie 1 user may have multiple calls, ergo needs around 318.5 Kbps per user bandwidth for the possibility of 2 calls at G711. *SIP overhead is disregarded!

What this means, to us in Australia, if you have a residential grade service in oz, you could max out your internet connection very rapidly unless you are using a DSL2+ service which usually provides up to 1024k upward bandwidth or 2 users 4 calls with ease...

So for a real time explanation, 1 x user could max out a standard DSL service with the 2 calls or 2 x users with a call each ( you may even squeeze another call in ).

If you narrowed the bandwidth down to lets say G729 you end up with around 95 Kbps for the 2 calls, therefore lots more channels, lots more users. *SIP overhead is disregarded!

Looking at that example thats why you might have read about the 2 user limit....

Regards

Kev

Thread Information