Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Line-status indication on extension

Is there a rough timeline for this feature to become available?

To be honest I find the PARK key more useful than line keys for emulating Key Phones ( which these days are dropping PSTN/ISDNline appearances and using call appearance and park keys only)

I have been installing telephone systems of varying sizes for 30 years.... Samsung, Siemens, Aria, NEC all are heading away from PSTN/ISDN Line Appearance keys and using PABX methods.

The reasons why are two fold... It is far better to use a PARK position to park and page to notify people of callers than it is to hold a call, transfer it to an extension only to have the call bounce back to you after the timer and you having to remember what the call was about ..

Secondly telephone handsetscan beexpensive, display, handsfree plus multiple keys all come at a cost.... The standard Aria handset has only 8 programmable keys, 2 of which are call appearance keys, 4 usually are programmed as Park keys and the last 2 x feature keys... This in practise is the norm and what is programmed for the majority of situations in the field.

Regards

Kevin

This thread has been idle for quite a while. I just upgraded to the release 5 thinking we'd get SLA but apparently that's not the case. Seeing as the 6L has firmware 5.0.10 shouldn't the 2x/4x/16x have gotten the same feature with the 5.0.11 firmware? Is there a timeline for the SLA feature?

Quadro Architect

Well, if you look to the 5.0 announced featurelist, you'll see that there is no SLA there.
    SLA was developed for 2x/4x/16x, but is not included there mainly because of the marketing reasons (and also some performance reasons too). I don't think we will enable SLA support on those models in the nearest time. No plans so far (and actually no demand, when it comes to a real market).

I realize it's not in the changelog so after reading that I didn't really expect to have it. My expectations mainly came from reading the responses I got with regards to SLA when I started out.. the way I undestood them, having SLA wasn't so much a question of if but rather when (and hence my asking about the timeline)

Can't say how much I hate the
    because of the marketing reasons
    response.. to me marketing these days (not specifically Epygi.. it's a first for me as far as your company is concerned, but I see so many products limited not because of engineering but purely marketing reasons) has reached the evilness level of lawyers.

Where I hang out most (forums geared towards small systems) people deal with SLAs quite a lot and I've seen a few requests plus one thread about shared voicemail boxes (actually my main concern.. SLA is a feature I don't really need but I'd like to have shared mailboxes). Isn't SLA a feature that would help in the US market where people often come off key systems?

@KSComs: I'm with you on the reasoning - we're seeing that too (in fact we don't really have any keysystem setups.. private extensions is the norm plus BLFs to monitor other extensions, or parallel huntgroups to have a group of devices ring) but that's the European market, which telephony feature wise is more evolved than certain other parts of the world. We do however use group mailboxes quite a lot (e.g. an overflow of a huntgroup). I think given the proper devices (those that support BLF.. and now with the new firmware we can even program buttons from the PBX), plus the MER Feature, plus parking/transfer, we can pretty much do everything except for the group mailbox (actually that's possible to.. it's just the MWI that is really missing.. phones can be programmed to dial into the appropriate box when the message button is pressed after all given the appropriate dialplan entry).

Quadro Architect

Quote Originally Posted by ssteiner View Post
    Where I hang out most (forums geared towards small systems) people deal with SLAs quite a lot and I've seen a few requests plus one thread about shared voicemail boxes (actually my main concern.. SLA is a feature I don't really need but I'd like to have shared mailboxes). Isn't SLA a feature that would help in the US market where people often come off key systems?
    We'll see. The 6L with SLA (actually that is the Key System support) will show if there is a real need and a real market for that feature in the US and elsewhere. Only if we feel real demand, we can think of investing time and money on adding that feature on other products (as this may need some redesign/reinforcement of existing hardware).
    When I talk about "marketing" reasons (and that is true at least when it concerns Epygi), I talk mostly about decisions whether or not something is really needed somewhere to justify the efforts (and there are other efforts involved except just the development of firmware), but not about 'malicious' hiding an existing feature just to create a trouble for users and "reach the evlness level of lawers"

Best regards,
    David

So I take it then that the 6L is based on a significantly different firmware from the other devices? I thought looking at version numbers and such it would probably be mostly the same with the main difference being the larger number of lines (which doesn't make the device more attractive to me... 2+ channels pretty much imply BRI around here.. or PRI depending on how many the plus is). Having a similar version number also seems to hint at that, and of course the less differences the easier is the job of the firmware engineers.

Would you consider the notion if a group mailbox (with MWI) if SLA is currently not under consideration for the "regular" Quadro boxes?

Thread Information