Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to build a blacklist of unwanted Caller IDs?

Default Is it possible to build a blacklist of unwanted Caller IDs?

We're getting an increasing number of cold calls (often repeatedly) from telemarketers despite having our numbers in the do-not-call registry. Is there a way that we can build a blacklist of unwanted incoming Caller IDs on our Quadro 2X and have them either sent directly to voicemail or dropped?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Malcolm

Quadro Architect

Good afternoon Malcolm

theoretically you should be able to do that. I suppose you have a specific extension, which handles all incoming calls (for example if you used the "VoIP carrier Wizard", you should have an extension like 99 or 98, which is automaticall created by wizard, and receives all calls).
    In that case you can configure the "Incoming call blocking" on that extensions "Caller ID based Services" list. Add all those numbers into the table with "Incoming call blocking" enabled for them. "Other Callers" will be still forwarded to the right place.

Best regards,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by davrays View Post
    Good afternoon Malcolm

theoretically you should be able to do that. I suppose have a specific extension, which handles all incoming calls (for example if you used the "VoIP carrier Wizard", you should have an extension like 99 or 98, which is automaticall created by wizard, and receives all calls).
    In that case you can configure the "Incoming call blocking" on that extensions "Caller ID based Services" list. Add all those numbers into the table with "Incoming call blocking" enabled for them. "Other Callers" will be still forwarded to the right place.

Best regards,
    David
    Many thanks David - that seems to do the trick!

One follow-up question. Is there a way of blocking unidentified incoming PSTN calls. They tend to have a displayed CallerID of Unavailable with a name of Unavailable. I can think of an inelegant solution by putting in place 10 rules for 0*, 1*, 2*, 3*, etc., but if there is an easier solution I'd be very interested.

Thanks!

I think I've found the answer by reading the manual (now there's a novelty! ), but in the process have uncovered an inconsistency in the Quadro's web interface.

If I turn on anonymous calling on my cellphone, call the Quadro, then use the *73 feature code on my master extension immediately after receiving the call, a call-blocking record is added to the CallerID-based services table for PSTN-Private. However, the web interface doesn't allow me to add a description or to create such a record manually. It seems that anonymous calls can come in with a number of different CallerIDs ('Private Number', 'Blocked', 'Unavailable', etc.), so the only way to blacklist them with the current interface bug is to wait for each one, then quickly use *73 to create the corresponding record in the CallerID-based services table. Is there any workaround?

A final question I have in this process is whether it's possible to forward an incoming PSTN call (identified by CallerID) directly to a voice mailbox rather than blocking it. I'm scouring the manual but haven't worked out how yet....

Thanks again for all your help.

Malcolm

Yep .... definitely possible to direct any caller identified to a route / destination....

Just use NDS and SUFFIX ...

Ie if the caller id was 12345678 you would do the following ... and my extension was 234

call route entry of > 12345678 NDS of 8 suffix of lets say 66234 where 66??? was already in the call routing for sending a call to the extensions voicemail direct. If not make another call route of 66??? and type of direct to Voicemail in the drop down ....

Regards

Kevin

Quadro Architect

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmct View Post
    If I turn on anonymous calling on my cellphone, call the Quadro, then use the *73 feature code on my master extension immediately after receiving the call, a call-blocking record is added to the CallerID-based services table for PSTN-Private. However, the web interface doesn't allow me to add a description or to create such a record manually. It seems that anonymous calls can come in with a number of different CallerIDs ('Private Number', 'Blocked', 'Unavailable', etc.), so the only way to blacklist them with the current interface bug is to wait for each one, then quickly use *73 to create the corresponding record in the CallerID-based services table. Is there any workaround?
    Not sure.. Does it really block the calls from your cell phone, when you have the "PSTN-Private" blocked in the table?

Thanks Kevin and David.

David - to answer your question - it definitely does block calls from my cellphone when the PSTN-Private block is in place. I changed the sound to the 'anti-ex-girlfriend' tone and that seems to work well.

Quadro Architect

Ok, then we could think of allowing the letters in the CID for the PSTN users.. The behaviour in GUI is not really a bug, it is an intended behaviour.. The bug is the fact that it allows to add PSTN-Private from the keypad . At least it should have not allowed that by design..

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmct View Post
    so the only way to blacklist them with the current interface bug is to wait for each one, then quickly use *73 to create the corresponding record in the CallerID-based services table. Is there any workaround?
    There is a workaround, of course. You can always add "Auto-Private" instead of PSTN-Private. The only drawback is that you could block IP callers with exactly the same username too ("Private"), but this should not be a big problem, as such username is not recommended anyway and is not used by normal people

Thanks David - that makes perfect sense. It sounds as though it would be a good idea to allow letters in CID for PSTN users. In the meantime I'll play with the Auto workaround.

Malcolm

Thread Information