Thread: Linksys 921 (et al) - provisioning.

Default Linksys 921 (et al) - provisioning.

If you plug a Liniksys 921 (or similar model) phone in... nothing happens. No auto-prov.

But all is not lost, before you start wading in with a full manual provision. do this!!!

1) Go into Telephony / Lines
    2) Pick the next vacant IP line, enable it, tell it it's going to be a Linksys 921, and input the MAC address of the new phone.
    3) NOW plug the Linksys in...

ONCE the Quadro is expecting to see the MAC address of the phone, the REST of the autoprovisioning process works just dandy,.

GOK why it can't do this first step unaided.

Quadro Architect

Quote Originally Posted by ccomley View Post
    If you plug a Liniksys 921 (or similar model) phone in... nothing happens. No auto-prov.

But all is not lost, before you start wading in with a full manual provision. do this!!!

1) Go into Telephony / Lines
    2) Pick the next vacant IP line, enable it, tell it it's going to be a Linksys 921, and input the MAC address of the new phone.
    3) NOW plug the Linksys in...

ONCE the Quadro is expecting to see the MAC address of the phone, the REST of the autoprovisioning process works just dandy,.
    Yep thats exactly how it is supposed to work

GOK why it can't do this first step unaided.
    Well-well.. and how you think Quadro would know that the new phone connected is a Linksys 921, if you don't tell that..?
    In other words, Quadro gets DHCP request from new device, sees the MAC address of that new device, but how it could determone that this new device is a Linksys 921, which needs to be configured, but not your Dell Inspiron laptop, for example?

Well, based on the MAC adress assignment table (http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/oui.txt), we can define that the device is a Linksys device, but which kind of Linksys device (phone, adapter, router, print hub, media storage or i-dont-know-what-linksys-do-it-yourself-device)?
    Exactly to find that out, you, Chris, are needed by your Quadro PBX to graciously and kindly provide this info

Quote Originally Posted by davrays View Post
    Yep thats exactly how it is supposed to work

Well-well.. and how you think Quadro would know that the new phone connected is a Linksys 921, if you don't tell that..?
    In other words, Quadro gets DHCP request from new device, sees the MAC address of that new device, but how it could determone that this new device is a Linksys 921, which needs to be configured, but not your Dell Inspiron laptop, for example?

Well, based on the MAC adress assignment table (http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/oui.txt), we can define that the device is a Linksys device, but which kind of Linksys device (phone, adapter, router, print hub, media storage or i-dont-know-what-linksys-do-it-yourself-device)?
    Exactly to find that out, you, Chris, are needed by your Quadro PBX to graciously and kindly provide this info

I kind of assumed that however it works for the Snom 3xx phones, it should be able to work for the Linksys 921. And, for that matter, the Snom M3 (of which more later). Now the M3 isn't in the known phones list, so it's no big surprise its manual. But the 921 *is*.

So - esplain - how can it work that with a Snom 360 or 370, I *just* plug a brand new phone into the LAN side and it gets a DHCP IP address from the MS Server then magicalyl finds the PBX, and the PBX provisions it fully automatically on the next available IP Line, WITHOUT being first told it's coming, whereas with the Linksys, the phone just sits there like a digital lemon UNLESS the PBX has first been told to expect it...

So anyway, I leave my initial posting here in the hope taht it's helpful to other users who, like ourselves, will have learned how to do it all on Snoms then one day tried a Linksys...

Quadro Architect

Sure Chris, your initial posting is helpful to many.

Regarding the topic on "how does it work for Snom, if it cannot work with Linksys the same way"...
    Eh, guys you don't value our efforts to make it easier to be maximally compatible to phone, as much as those phones allow..

Actually to make it work plug'n'play with Snom (and Aastra) we implemented support for special proprietary mechanisms of autoconfiguration used (and possibly developed) by Snom; and another mechanism, for Aastra. The full P'n'P works for those two brands (maybe also for some Grandsteam models, I am not sure..).
    This P'n'P stuff cannot be done using usual DHCP based configuration, it is based on special the multicast-based protocols. So for the rest phones in the list, you have to enter MAC address...

I hear you - and yes we DO appreciate when you make full use of the tools available to make life simpler. OTOH, when that dosen't work, e.g. we plug in a different phone, it's good to have somewhere to look up how to make it work. Seems to me, this is that place. If you guys don't post it, how do we find it?

You say "that's how it's SUPPOSED to work with the Linksys" - well - fine - how am I supposed to know that? Is it documented?

Quadro Architect

OTOH, when that dosen't work, e.g. we plug in a different phone, it's good to have somewhere to look up how to make it work. Seems to me, this is that place. If you guys don't post it, how do we find it?
    Agree, the more places this information is available, the better.

You say "that's how it's SUPPOSED to work with the Linksys" - well - fine - how am I supposed to know that? Is it documented?
    "Configuring Epygi Tested IP Phones on Quadro LAN" (http://support.epygi.com/index.php?_...loaditemid=234)

BTW, you are right, this is not very trivial. Some people (who seem to be even better informed in this issue than me..) tell that the PnP (auto-configuration without entering MAC) could work on Cisco/Grandstream/Polycom phones too... And possibly on Linksys in future 5.1 versions... Don't know I didn' test that, so I am just passing the rumor..
    Theoretically the P'n'P should work only on "Supported" phones list, and the autoconfiguration (needed MAC), on "Tested" phone list. But it could be that some phones in the tested phone list could P'n'P too..

Linksys has been using their own proprietary multicast based protocol for autoprovisioning via the SPA9k ever since I got the box 2.5 years ago (firmware 3.something) - plug in a phone and it gets an extension and you can start making calls right away (it gets an extension and a dialplan).

theoretically the P'n'P should work only on "Supported" phones list, and the auto configuration (needed MAC), on "Tested" phone list.
    but it could be that some phones in the tested phone list could P'n'P too..!!

Thread Information