Thread: Snom phone f-keys

Default Snom phone f-keys

I'm after tricks and tips for sensible use of the lamp-and-button softkeys on the side of a Snom phone.

I assume they do *have* useful use or Snom wouldn't be so keen on selling extra button modules.

The default Quadro setting for them seems to be to have them linked to FXO trunks, showing which are in use and/or letting you chose explicitly to use one.

We would like to use them for both indicating when given extensions are busy, and for allowing quick dialling of or forwarding to said extension. WHich is kinda traditional so I hope it works.

But so far I've tried

- setting the function on the key to BLF, and the "value" to "sip:XX@ipaddr:5060:user=phone" (where XX is the target extension number).

This kind of works. If I press the button I dial to ext XX. If a call is ringing on XX the button flashes. If XX is in use, the button is lit, and the screen shows me the number he's talking to.

But here's the problem. The data on the screen lets me "choose" one of the lines of info and hit TICK - I then have my phone locked in a loop giving me beeps, and beeps are added to the conversation that HE is having ( tyhough I can't hear his conversation). I can't do ANYTHING on my phone now until he hangs up. If I don't WANT to use the screen for thsi wierd useless function, I can't clear it off, the screen remains locked into that mode until he hangs up.

This is worse than useless. Useless would be a pain, but this is activly counter productive.

There are other "functions" I can set the button to - includign one called "Button". But no idea what occurs. Snom documentation is sparse to the extent of nonexitance.

Anyone found good *workable* settings for these buttons?

(Otherwise I'm leaning heavily in the direction of NOT using Snoms at all...)

Version of firmware for all SNOMS to use is :

7.1.33 - 7.1.39 no earlier
    7.3.4 or greater but the preference should be 7.1.39 if no CSTA / CRM tight integration

Snom function keys.... after auto deployment of the telephone you can use the "CALL" keys as I call them ( LINE Keys in SNOM Speak ) for varying functionality.

"Extension" type keys is a must for setting them to watch the extension of another user ...

Park keys can be monitored as well... use "Extension" then the park number... just dont go over the 80 BLF limit.

Another thing you can do is *5%23 which will automatically park the call, speed dial is good for that.

Pick up / page and a varying amount of functionality can be stored under the keys and this goes for Aastra and Polycom to.

I would suggest that you look at the SNOM Wiki and be familiar with what works and what doesnt before you right them off.

K

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by KSComs View Post
    Version of firmware for all SNOMS to use is :

7.1.33 - 7.1.39 no earlier
    7.3.4 or greater but the preference should be 7.1.39 if no CSTA / CRM tight integration
    OK, I'm on 7.3.7.

Snom function keys.... after auto deployment of the telephone you can use the "CALL" keys as I call them ( LINE Keys in SNOM Speak ) for varying functionality.

"Extension" type keys is a must for setting them to watch the extension of another user ...
    Call it what you like that's pretty much what I'm after. But setting the key to "Extension" "BLF" or even "Intercom" via the Snom web GUI has the same effect - yes, it makes the button reflect the extension status, and allows a quick-dial, BUT it puts the phone screen in "Calls" mode, makes it near impossible to return to the home screen, and with the danger that the user can accidentally lock up the phone by selecting any call in the Call screen and pressing OK, which *appears* to be the logical way out.

Park keys can be monitored as well... use "Extension" then the park number... just dont go over the 80 BLF limit.

Another thing you can do is *5%23 which will automatically park the call, speed dial is good for that.
    I just want THIS to work. I will play with parking calls one day, but for now it's just asking for them to get lost. I'm not even mentioning the function to the users.

I would suggest that you look at the SNOM Wiki and be familiar with what works and what doesnt before you right them off.

K
    Ah, the Snom Wiki - have you *looked* at it lately? Lots and lots of pages which clearly someone plans to come back and fill in *one day* but so far they havn't bothered and you just get lots in a maze of circular references taking you in loopy paths round pages with little or no substantive comment.

Certainly there's a page which lists all the possible fuctions you can apply to a key, but it doesn't tell you what the functions MEAN, or what the value box should contain for each to work... waste of space, and, frankly, Snom's attention to detail (lack of) is the thing nearest making me switch to Linksys phones at this time. Linksys phones are half the price, and ALL the buttons on them JUST WORK giving you the obvious function when you press them. Half the buttons on a Snom do nothing and the rest don't work in a useful manner, it seems to me.

It's all very well saying "ah, but the Snom is very powerful and configurable" but they need to tell us HOW to configure it.

i agree

it took me a week to get the buttons to do what i want it to do. and i think i did it the wrong way. But at least they are working.(for now)

Ahhhh!

It's possible to turn off the automatic change of the phone to the "Calls" screen when a monitored extension is active.

Advanced / Behaviour / Dialog-Info Call Pickup= Off.

This appears to be the solution. As the CallPickup within that screen is broken anyway, or, at least, needs a PBX-specific patch to work the way it's anticpated, turning off this mode leaves the rest of the BLF/Extension function working as one might expect.

I still can't see ANY difference between the BLF and Extension functions. But, again, perhaps that's a Quadro thing not a Snom thing, Snom send the code, and Epygi have (so far) implemented the same effect on receipt of each?

up until the point where you restart the quadro, the quadro will then restart the phone once booted up. then that little facility will crrep back to enabled and it will irritate the living daylights out of you.

the same rule applies to the advanced/behaviour/Call join on Xfer (2 calls) facility, which is used in the blind transfer facility.

Linksys ... lol

Quote Originally Posted by ccomley View Post
    OK, I'm on 7.3.7.
    Go down to the version 7.1.39 it works well... so does 7.3.4 but 7.1.39 should be better if you do not use CSTA / CRM

Call it what you like that's pretty much what I'm after. But setting the key to "Extension" "BLF" or even "Intercom" via the Snom web GUI has the same effect - yes, it makes the button reflect the extension status, and allows a quick-dial, BUT it puts the phone screen in "Calls" mode, makes it near impossible to return to the home screen, and with the danger that the user can accidentally lock up the phone by selecting any call in the Call screen and pressing OK, which *appears* to be the logical way out.
    Retrograde the firmware down to 7.1.39

I just want THIS to work. I will play with parking calls one day, but for now it's just asking for them to get lost. I'm not even mentioning the function to the users.
    You did ask for features that work.... didnt you.... !!!

I'm after tricks and tips for sensible use of the lamp-and-button softkeys on the side of a Snom phone.
    SENSIBLE USE OF SNOM KEYS - I gave you some information of what I put into all Systems using SNOM handsets....

Snom Wiki - have you *looked* at it lately? Lots and lots of pages
    You do read through the Changelogs before you apply the firmware updates or get the Epygi to do so dont you ?

http://wiki.snom.com/Firmware/V7/Rel...hange_Log_V7.3

If I were in your position and I did not understand the firmware updates to to thinness of documentation then I wouldn't advise updating your telephones, realistically I wouldn't do it.

Now what documentation do you believe SNOM dont have or is piecemeal?

I dont have a problem finding data about functions or features... it surprises me that from the UK you cant seem to find those documents that I have, go figure....

Oh well.. the data is there ... all of the info is taken from the Snom Wiki ...

http://wiki.snom.com

Quote Originally Posted by KSComs View Post
    Linksys ... lol
    Giggle not. Tried a SPA921 cos a client already had some. It doesn't fully auto-provision. You have to manually enter the MAC address aginst the new "IP Line", but once you've done that it does the rest of the auto-provisioning. And it just works. And every single button on the phone works as you would expect it to, there are no "empty" buttons, DND and forwarding work. The phone is low on features, true, but that just means less to go wrong, not work quite right, or not have yet been implemented by the PBX... And it's half the price. For a basic workaday desk phone, I'm starting to like it...

Go down to the version 7.1.39 it works well... so does 7.3.4 but 7.1.39 should be better if you do not use CSTA / CRM

Retrograde the firmware down to 7.1.39

You did ask for features that work.... didnt you.... !!!
    Nope, not me guv - I just want "watching extension" to work, and now I've sussed how to disable the automatic change to the apparently useless "Calls" screen, it does!

SENSIBLE USE OF SNOM KEYS - I gave you some information of what I put into all Systems using SNOM handsets....

You do read through the Changelogs before you apply the firmware updates or get the Epygi to do so dont you ?

http://wiki.snom.com/Firmware/V7/Rel...hange_Log_V7.3

If I were in your position and I did not understand the firmware updates to to thinness of documentation then I wouldn't advise updating your telephones, realistically I wouldn't do it.
    In the real world, with the exception of betas, then I would expect the sane thing to be to use the latest released software. UNLESS they actually split the dev tree and start working on different streams of software for different functions. I can't hold a phone on an old firmware because it works in one fashion, when I may need the newer firmware to make somethign else work, either the former is a side-effect, or needs fixing again in the later release.

I dont have a problem finding data about functions or features... it surprises me that from the UK you cant seem to find those documents that I have, go figure....

Well, I found it in the end but it was a circuitous route. Which I don't have time to start trying to re-create.

It's badly cross indexed, basically. Needs work. For example - start at the home page, you want help with a 370, so click on 370. Now you get a bunch of sub categories. So click on Configuration, so far so good, now it asks four reasonable questions. Choose the first one for help with the web GUI management pages. And... you get shown a list of ALL the phones and asked which one you want help with. YOU TOLD IT THAT AT STEP 1!!!

Add to this that the *obvious* use of a webby GUI is that if you see a picture with a word or descrption under it, that's called an "icon" and you click the icon to go see the relevant page or article. Only the way they've done the icons on their system is, not as hot links but as embedded pictures. If you click on a picture, you're asking to see the picture and edit it, not see the page for the article in question. OK, you can get used to it (you can get used to anything I guess) but it's NOT how a GUI should work. Either they've misunderstood how to get MediaWiki to do what they want or they've activly decided to abuse it because it doesn't work the way they hoped it would. Either way, it's not helping matters any.

Thread Information