Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tftp config files for Cisco phones

Thumbs down tftp config files for Cisco phones

Hi

I'm trying to add some Cisco phones to the box. Cisco7942. I want to up load the firmware and config files to the tftp directory so that the phone can load and start. tftp won't let me put the files in. Probably because the permision. Anyone did this or it's totally not possible?

Thanks

Rowena

Quadro Architect

Hi Rowena

I doubt anyone did that. Quadro TFTP directory is read-only, and it keeps the config files only for the phones it explicitly supports/autoconfigures (see the supported/tested phones list in release notes). Thus Quadro cannot serve as a TFTP server for user's files, regardless of whether it is a phone firmware or mp3 music...

You have to keep those files on a separate PC with TFTP server running. You can use the TFTP server provided with Quadro on a CD (if you use Windows server), or any other TFTP software. Just put them on that PC, and configure the Cisco phone to get the files from there.

Best regards,
    David

P.S. And of course, welcome to the forum

Thanks David for your reply. But the Phone sends all requests to Quadro box, and the box has a config file that is not compatible. How do I config the phone to send the tftp request to my tftp server? I was able to do it without Quadro. When Quadro is up, it serves as DHCP and DNS server ( I guess) so Cisco phone just send requests to Quadro instead of my tftp server. :-(
    If it were not that config file the phone will just boot with its own firmware and config. It won't have this trouble.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you.

Rowena

Quadro Architect

Well, as you configure your Cisco phone manually anyway, you can just set it up to use static IP instead of DHCP. If it doesn't use DHCP, it will not get any parameter from Quadro, so you can configure it as you wish.
    Setting static IP you will need also to configure the Network mask, DNS server and some other parameter manually, but I guess that is not a big deal.

Best regards,
    David

Hi David,

I suggest that you could have an option on Quadro (under line settings or dhcp settings) where you could set tftp provisioning server for the IP phones. It is a disadvantage that you can not use the tftp server on the Quadro for uploading config files for the phones.

Regards,

Robert

Quadro Architect

...as Kevin noticed in the post above, Quadro DHCP server already has that option, Robert

Hi,

Well I missed that one.

Thanks

Thanks everyone. I'll give it a try. Later.

Rowena

Default Cisco TFTP

Hi Rowena,
    Did you get this sorted.
    We use Cisco 7961 hansets with a Quadro, and an external TFTP server, works a treat.
    Let me know if you need some info on it.

Graham

Thread Information