Thread: "Force Self Codecs" doesn't work

Default "Force Self Codecs" doesn't work

hi!

the "Force Self Codecs Preference for Inbound Calls" doesn't work for incoming calls, my provider offers G.711a/u and G.729, in my codecs list all 3 codecs are enabled and G.711u is on the first place, all outgoing calls are made via G.711u, but all incoming call are still made with G.729. So i removed G.729 from the list of supported codecs, now all calls (in and out) are made with G.711u - but this is imho a hack, because if someone tries to reach me without supporting G.711 the call will be negotiated.

Another thing which irritates me is the way G.729 ist offered by epygi. the pbx is media relay for all calls from/to pstn. With two identical quadros (same model, same fw-release), but with different phones as extensions (different vendors), in one case in SDP g.729 is offered, on the other pbx g.729a, because the ITSP offeres only g.729b the call setup seems to be handled different for both szenarios. I also tried to handling it via changing the value on the hidden codecs page, but without any result.

quadro 2xi
    fw 5.0.16

best regards,
    sip5060

Quadro Architect

Quote Originally Posted by sip5060 View Post
    hi!

the "Force Self Codecs Preference for Inbound Calls" doesn't work for incoming calls, my provider offers G.711a/u and G.729, in my codecs list all 3 codecs are enabled and G.711u is on the first place, all outgoing calls are made via G.711u, but all incoming call are still made with G.729. So i removed G.729 from the list of supported codecs, now all calls (in and out) are made with G.711u - but this is imho a hack, because if someone tries to reach me without supporting G.711 the call will be negotiated.
    Please look which codec and in which order you have on the IP Phone itself. When you call from IP Phone to ITSP or vice versa, the PBX is in the role of mediator, and often it cannot force anything (as forcing could easily bring to call drop by one of the sides of negotiations). Make sure you have the same order on the IP phone (G.711u on the first place, then G.729), and see how it affects on the call.

Quote Originally Posted by sip5060 View Post
    Another thing which irritates me is the way G.729 ist offered by epygi. the pbx is media relay for all calls from/to pstn. With two identical quadros (same model, same fw-release), but with different phones as extensions (different vendors), in one case in SDP g.729 is offered, on the other pbx g.729a, because the ITSP offeres only g.729b the call setup seems to be handled different for both szenarios. I also tried to handling it via changing the value on the hidden codecs page, but without any result.
    quadro 2xi
    fw 5.0.16
    best regards,
    sip5060
    I don't really see what is iiritating you.. First of all there is no such voice codec as G.729b. G.729b is the "G.279 Annex B", which refers to the VAD/CNG specification. So your ITSP (and any other SIP device, could offer either G729 (full-encoded G.729), or G729a (Lower Complexity encoded G.729). From SIP negotiations standpoint, these two are completely the same (as both are decoded the same way).

Thus, Quadro is trying to be maximally compatible to all those different devices with often contradicting implementations, and uses either G.729 or G.729a, depending on what phones prefer to use.
    This ensures that the call is established. And if call is successfully established and all parties listen each other, who cares what was sent in the SDP? So there is no reason to be irritated, at least for you as a user . To be true, we, as developers are often irritated by the ways different devices interpret standards, and we have to ensure that they work together - this is often a mess, which we have to deal with. But thats our problem, and if regardless all the mess (which is NOT created by us), phones are working, it means we resolved that

Best regards,
    David

Thread Information