Thread: Quadro 2X KILLS ADSL sync speed

Default Quadro 2X KILLS ADSL sync speed

I have an issue with a 2X unit

Phone line from street direct to ADSL central filter "line connection" . only equipment connected direct to the "Phone" connection on the ADSL central filter is the 2X unit

ADSL speed only sync's at 1.6 meg (it is an ADSL 2+ service)

with the 2X removed sync's at over 4 meg (double the speed)

I then connected a normal telephone to the ADSL central filter "phone" connection ... ADSL sync's fine at over 4 meg

It is ONLY when the 2X unit is connected that the ADSL sync speed drops in half.

Would seem the 2X unit is producing interference , anyone else had this problem or know of a solution ?

If you use the 2x as a Router, then the WAN port is a 10 meg half / full duplex port, you will need to go to the hidden pages for the Network connections and set the WAN port to 10 meg full duplex then retest and see if you have improvement.

Regards

Kevin

Default ADSL Sync

I dont think you understand ??

Nothing to do with the networking or ethernet.

I am talking about when I plug the Incoming PSTN Phone line socket of the 2X unit into my house hold PSTN phone line .... it cuts in half the ADSL modem Sync speed ie. the ADSL modem and 2X unit are sharing the same PSTN Phone line .... seperated by an ADSl filter of course.

Your right I missed that part of your post... however I would recommend that the filter you have is failing when the Quadro is in place.

The DSL speed should not be effected because the PSTN side of the circuit that provides your telephone line is seperate to the DSL circuit that is super imposed on top of your telephone line. The mere factor that your Epygi appears to cause your dsl service to halve and when you have a normal telephone in its place it works without a problem means that there is a fault either with the filter or with the vcable you are using that plugs the fxo line in port to the quadro.

Even if the Quadro was faulty it should only affect the telephone line not the dsl service. They are 2 different services provided over the same pair of wires seperated by the filter / splitter.

I would check the filter / cable... I have had filters goe and would appear to be normal but fail.

Regards

Kevin

Default ADSL Sync

While ADSL is a separate service it is still a Frequency over the same PSTN line as your phone service and is open to line interference and line degradation problems. Any interference or equipment interfering with the quality of the PSTN line cam degrade the ADSL sync speed.

I can plug any normal phone equipment, telephones , faxes etc etc onto the "phone PSTN" side of the ADSL filter and it has no adverse affect to the ADSL sync speed.

BUT as soon as you plug in the Quadro 2X unit to the PSTN side of the ADSL filter the ADSL Sync drops and the new Sync speed is cut in half.

ie. any other phone equipment works fine , the ADSl filter works fine and does it's job. I have tried 3 different filters and all give the same result.

My conclusion: The Quadro 2X unit PSTN line connection socket is somehow generating interference or degradation which affects the PSTN line and the ADSL Sync speed.

No other phone equipment affects the ADSL service, all other phone equipment functions OK ... just the 2X unit that gives the problem.

The DSL is piped over the telephone line, yes, via frequency, yes, but the filter/splitter isolates the service from the PSTN Devices ie after the filter.

Do you have an alarm connected on the line ?

Also did you use the same telephone line cable that is used with the telephone handsets with the Epygi russell ?

When you make a PSTN call out from the 2x, whilst it is plugged into the filter/splitter do you hear anything out of the ordinary with the quality of the call ?

~~~~~~~~~~~

The other thing you can do is ask for some technical help via Alloy or your reseller.
    Last edited by KSComs; 01-25-2009 at 02:34 AM.

Default 2x Adsl

phone calls are fine .. filters, any 3 of the diff ones i have tried to rule out a bad filter, works fine and correctly isolate the ADSl freq so as to not interfere with phone calls.

All phone cables are brand new and not cheap cables. Same cable that works fine for a normal phone and does not affect the ADSL sync.

The 2X unit or any the equipment connected to the phone line puts a load on the line whether or not there is an ADSl filter in the way. ie. if a piece of equipment does not meet normal specs or is faulty in regard to the load it puts on the PSTN line then it is going to interfere with the quality of the line and hence the ability of the ADSL modem to Sync.

by substituting 3 diff new ADSL filters, 3 different phones, replacing all cables with new, I have ruled out a faulty filter, faulty cabling etc .. the only single common factor that causes the ADSL modem to drop sync and re sync at 1/2 speed is when the Quadro 2X unit is connected to the PSTN line side of the ADS filter.

Default PS

I should also note another important thing:

The simple act of plugging in the Quadro 2X unit to the PSTN Phone side of the ADSL filter IMMEDIATELY causes the modem to drop it's connection and re sync at a lower (around 1/2) the speed.

ie. I can un plug and plug in several different normal phones to the "phone" side of the ADSL filter and nothing happens, Modem keeps working and keeps sync, as soon as you plug in the Quadro 2X unit the modem drops it's connection and re sync's at a far lower speed.

Quote Originally Posted by russell View Post
    by substituting 3 diff new ADSL filters, 3 different phones, replacing all cables with new, I have ruled out a faulty filter, faulty cabling etc .. the only single common factor that causes the ADSL modem to drop sync and re sync at 1/2 speed is when the Quadro 2X unit is connected to the PSTN line side of the ADS filter.
    In your initial questions/statements you never mentioned that you had replaced the cables, filters, phones, eliminating those items from the picture. You knew it but the rest of the community you were asking help from didnt know that.

I would be ringing Alloy up for a warranty replacement if it is still within the 12 month period or sending it to them for repair.

Regards

Kevin

Thread Information