Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sip Routing - the Big Picture.

Default Sip Routing - the Big Picture.

OK, I have a warm fuzzy feeling that I'm getting well on top of this stuff!

One thing I'm still not clear on - now I have an account with an ITSP, can I just give out a SIP address such as 01494410315@voip-unlimited.net and *anyone* can use that to route a voip call to me?

Or do I need to make provision for calls from "any" random source?

And

Could I equally well give out an address of locext16@sip.wizards.co.uk (presuming the latter resolves to the WAN address of my epygi)? (If so I'd reconfig with a nicer name than locext16, of course!)

If not, what?

AND on the flipside of that same coin, if a chap gives me an address of 12345@sip.someco.com, how do I go about "dialling" it?

Quadro Architect

Well, good questions...
    Quote Originally Posted by ccomley View Post
    OK, I have a warm fuzzy feeling that I'm getting well on top of this stuff!

One thing I'm still not clear on - now I have an account with an ITSP, can I just give out a SIP address such as 01494410315@voip-unlimited.net and *anyone* can use that to route a voip call to me?

Or do I need to make provision for calls from "any" random source?
    I guess, the "voip-unlimited.net" is your ITSP, and 01494410315 is your account or DID. If so, the answer depends on your ITSP - whether it will allow you to call that way. You can try and see (for example you can call from an independant softphone).
    But if you have 01494410315@voip-unlimited.net account configured on your extension, you can call to that using 01494410315@<yourQuadroIP>.

And

Could I equally well give out an address of locext16@sip.wizards.co.uk (presuming the latter resolves to the WAN address of my epygi)? (If so I'd reconfig with a nicer name than locext16, of course!)
    If not, what?
    If the locext16 is the username of IP Line, you cannot call to Quadro using that (not if this will work or not, but this is definitely NOT recommended). Instead, you can call to the Quadro's extension to <extension_username>@<QuadroIP> (as I indicated above).

AND on the flipside of that same coin, if a chap gives me an address of 12345@sip.someco.com, how do I go about "dialling" it?
    An easy way (and this is the way I always use) is to configure a speeddial on your extension. Map the #01 to SIP->12345@sip.someco.com (the call type should be SIP, not Auto).
    Alternatively, you can also configure special routing rule to call to such address.

Quote Originally Posted by davrays View Post
    Well, good questions...

I guess, the "voip-unlimited.net" is your ITSP, and 01494410315 is your account or DID. If so, the answer depends on your ITSP - whether it will allow you to call that way. You can try and see (for example you can call from an independant softphone).
    But if you have 01494410315@voip-unlimited.net account configured on your extension, you can call to that using 01494410315@<yourQuadroIP>.
    OK, that makes sense. There is ONE number which is also our ITSP account so I guess THAT can be given out, teh other numbers they've given us are mapped in as alias on the gateway, so probably won't work as SIP addresses as well - I'll ask them. As it stands, then, we have one V-ext mapped to teh main ITSP account. The other numbers are used as disovered last week by adding them as the SIP username on extgensions which have no SIP server specified.

Cheers.

Well, good questions...

If the locext16 is the username of IP Line, you cannot call to Quadro using that (not if this will work or not, but this is definitely NOT recommended). Instead, you can call to the Quadro's extension to <extension_username>@<QuadroIP> (as I indicated above).
    OK, will experiment with that. Cheers. Thatd be the SIP user-id not the General one I presume? So it can't be a "name" if that extentino is also linked to one of our ITSP DDIs. Gonna run out of V-exts one day! :-)

Well, good questions...
    An easy way (and this is the way I always use) is to configure a speeddial on your extension. Map the #01 to SIP->12345@sip.someco.com (the call type should be SIP, not Auto).
    Alternatively, you can also configure special routing rule to call to such address.
    I'd probably rather see it done from the PBX.

I lost a SNOM setup this week by plugging it in to a new Pbx. My *intent* had been to back it up as soon as it booted but by the tmie I connected to it, it had decided to vape itself and re auto-config from the new Epygi.

THe Epygi config is backed up off site every night! :-) (If you can think of a way of making the Snoms backup their config automatically i'll be interested)

Finally, a rule on the Epygi is system-wide - It'd be better if general stuff is done centrally. Not stopping individuals populating their own SpeedDial and Directory as they see fit. But... I TRIED putting a SIP type address in the Snom's GUI "dial" box and it did't work, and tried puttnig it in the Directory. (THe problem with using SpeedDIal settings is, theres NO index or dirctory for those registers.)

Quadro Architect

I'd probably rather see it done from the PBX.

I lost a SNOM setup this week by plugging it in to a new Pbx. My *intent* had been to back it up as soon as it booted but by the tmie I connected to it, it had decided to vape itself and re auto-config from the new Epygi.

THe Epygi config is backed up off site every night! :-) (If you can think of a way of making the Snoms backup their config automatically i'll be interested)

Finally, a rule on the Epygi is system-wide - It'd be better if general stuff is done centrally. Not stopping individuals populating their own SpeedDial and Directory as they see fit. But... I TRIED putting a SIP type address in the Snom's GUI "dial" box and it did't work, and tried puttnig it in the Directory. (THe problem with using SpeedDIal settings is, theres NO index or dirctory for those registers.)
    Yes, probably configuring a special rule in the Call Routing table is the best way: to sall to name_surname@sip.someco.com it should be something like "pattern=123, NDS=3, prefix=name_surname, call type=SIP; dest host=sip.someco.com".
    If you don't want a global rule (just want one extension to be able to call), then configuring speeddial on the Snom will not work (at least currently); you should configure speeddial on the Quadro extension ("Extensions Management"->click on extension->"Your Extension"->"Speed Calling"): Calling code=#01, Call to=name_surname@sip.someco.com, Call type=SIP.
    To remember the codes.. print a table with speeddial codes and stick that sheet of paper near your desk

CRT

12??? nds=0 type = sip host = ip.someco.com port = 5060

Fin...

End of story...

nada to see...

whenever you dial 12xxx it will translate to 12xxx@ip.someco.com:5060

xxx = extension number

I do the same with customers and suppliers... except I have a prefix before the digits to dial... with an nds

Thats it...

Regards

Kevin

Yes, probably configuring a special rule in the Call Routing table is the best way: to sall to name_surname@sip.someco.com it should be something like "pattern=123, NDS=3, prefix=name_surname, call type=SIP; dest host=sip.someco.com".
    If you don't want a global rule (just want one extension to be able to call), then configuring speeddial on the Snom will not work (at least currently); you should configure speeddial on the Quadro extension ("Extensions Management"->click on extension->"Your Extension"->"Speed Calling"): Calling code=#01, Call to=name_surname@sip.someco.com, Call type=SIP.
    To remember the codes.. print a table with speeddial codes and stick that sheet of paper near your desk
    That's hardly a global rule if you have to create one for EACH possible recipient you want to refer to in that form - or am I misunderstanding you again?

I'm surprised there isn't a *default* recognition of addresses in that format if that is to be the default structure for a VOIP "address", along with suitable handling tied in to the ITSP config.

Quote Originally Posted by KSComs View Post
    CRT

12??? nds=0 type = sip host = ip.someco.com port = 5060

Fin...

End of story...

nada to see...

whenever you dial 12xxx it will translate to 12xxx@ip.someco.com:5060

xxx = extension number

I do the same with customers and suppliers... except I have a prefix before the digits to dial... with an nds

Thats it...

Regards

Kevin

So you're saying you set up a shortcode for EACH separate company taht you deal with, to translate their address into a phone number plus a route? This all seems very primitive.

Quadro Architect

Well, then I don't really understand what you need, Chris.

Let me ask you the same question you wewre asking me:

lets assume you want to be able to call from your hardphone to all possible SIP addresses, like
    aaaa@qwerty.com
    bbbbbbbb@asdfgh.co.uk
    cc@zxcvbn.eu
    chris@comley.com

How do you think you are going to dial that from the phone, so system "automatically" recognize what you want? Do you want to dial all letters from the phoe keypad or what?

Thread Information