Thread: Lightning strike on FX lines

Unhappy Lightning strike on FX lines

We got a Quadro4x with 4 FX lines in 2005 after a lightning strike on remote BT lines took out a small Avaya/Lucent exchange (smoking stuff, no way back), because Avaya wanted to charge full trade price to swap it - rather than accept an act of God, and swap at hardware cost. I looked hard at the market at that time and found Epygi doing interesting things, and as we were interested as local area suppliers/systems providers to include this product in our offering.

Guess what? Remote strike again last week (despite arrestors) and FX0 lines 1 and 2 are zapped. Everything else (including lines 3/4) OK. At least Epygi charge 50% of the price to swap, but that's still ~$800 more than it costs them to build the boxes - so rather than an Act of God, I would describe that the luck of the Devil on Epygi's part.

We're perfectly handy with a soldering oiron, but has anyone else any experience of replacing the front end circuitry or is this asking for more trouble?

Quadro Architect

Hmm... not sure about the soldering option, but there is one more solution - you can buy an additional Quadro FXO GW and connect that to your Q4x. That is cheaper than to replace the whole unit (even at 50% of the original price), and also you will have some spare FXO lines on that unit (it has 6 lines), which you can use in case if lightning strikes again and some lines burn again (of course I wish this will never happen again, but who knows)...

Quote Originally Posted by uspnetworks View Post
    Remote strike again last week (despite arrestors) and FX0 lines 1 and 2 are zapped.
    Lightning arrestors depending on the quality provide insurances for a value to a degree... otherwise I would be going to a soliicitor to draft up a class action against the firm that produces them to take them off the market through failing to perform the task that they are sold under - lightning protection... you bought them under the understanding that they would protect your hardware from lightning protection... well those components failed... and if it is within 12 months I would be causing a ruckus... they have an obligation under the merchantability act ....

My 2 cents worth ....

Regards

Kevin

Thread Information