Thread: Quadro VPN Client / Fixed IP?

Default Quadro VPN Client / Fixed IP?

I have two Quadros, each with latest firmware.

One is configured as VPN client, the other as VPN server.

The server always has VPN IP 172.31.1.1, which is fine.
    However, sometimes the client is issued an IP ending in .2, or other times .3, even though no other clients are connecting.

Since call routing at the server directs remote SIP calls to 172.31.1.2, it sometimes fails since the VPN-Client Quadro was reassigned to 172.31.1.3 after a disconnection / reconnection.

How can i specify IP of a vpn client, or otherwise work around this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Quadro Architect

You can workaround this several ways - for example by configuring a fallback to 172.30.1.3 in the Routing Table. But the best workaround would probably be to configure a SIP Tunnel between those two devices, and route the calls through that tunnel, instead of direct IPs.

Best regards,
    David

Default Third Quadro

Hi David, thanks for your reply,

The VPN's work very well, aside from the IP assignment issue.
    We tried SIP tunnels but the ISP on some remote ends is blocking the ports we need.

The fallback workaround worked until I connected a second remote quadro to the local one.

Every few days, the VPN reconnects and IP's are reassigned to the two remote quadros... with the fallback in call routing, calls sometimes get routed to the wrong branch office.

Is there any manual configuration script we can use, to make the remote quadro specify its IP?

With a windows VPN connection, for example, the computer dialing-in has an option to specify its IP.

Thanks in advance,

Quadro Architect

Theoretically we could give a possibility to fixe IP for the PPTP (VPN) client, but it is not achiavable in the current firmware, and needs some software changes.
    Lets see if we can workaround this first. If not, probably we can intergrate fixed client IP capability into 5.1.x images.

I understand why the fallback brings problems. But I am not sure you got it right with the SIP Tunnel... Did you try tp configure a SIP Tunnel on the Quadros (in the "Telephony" -> "SIP Tunnel Settings")? SIP Tunnel works using the same port as usual SIP calls (5060 by default), so there should not be any problems with that. Just register the remote Quadro as a slave device on the main one, and route the calls in CR Table through that tunnel. As soon as client will chnage its IP address, it will reregister on the master Quadro, so you should not have problems using this approach..

Best regards,
    David

Thread Information