Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Music on Hold question

Quadro Architect

So what do you hear when your phone at that extension is put on hold? Is it just silence, or something else?

Did you check if the VLC is really sending RTP packets with PCMU/PCMU as a payload? You can look at the traffic using Ethereal/Wireshark...

Hi David there is silence on the handset. I will run a trace using wireshark to check the RTP packets. Thanks Brad

Quadro Architect

Today I have spent several hours trying to make latest VLC 0.9.9 to stream RTP in PCMU format from any source, and it turns out that this is still not correctly supported in that tool. This tool cannot correctly transcode/resample/downmix the input stream to PCMU, 8KHz, mono. So you have to give it exactly <PCMU, 8KHz, mono> audio file so it can stream that.

Except that, even if you stream from <PCMU, 8KHz, mono> source file the RTP stream sent by VLC seems to be incorrect (containing duplicated frames and wrong), so the resulting audio stream is "cracky" - hardly understandable... This is true at least in version 0.9.9...

Generally speaking, I don't have a good impression of that tool - it looks very promicing and offers great variety of features, but as soon as you try to use that for anything other than standard audio/video playback on PC, you face problems, bugs, limitations etc etc. Looks like this is a tool for developer, not for user.. At least that is my personal impression.
    Hopefully they can/will fix those misbehaviours, as for now I am not aware of other tool with such feature-set. If somebody knows, please tell me (something which can stream RTP from a file/internet radio/mic source)..

EMS supports very-very small part of VLC functionality, but at least it works

Unhappy

Hello !

From VLC support forum :

Question : Does VLC have support of ulaw/alaw with static payload type ?

Answer : VLC can transcode to PCMU/PCMA from any audio codec. What VLC cannot do (properly) is resampling and downmixing. In other words, it will work with any 8kHz mono input (but not necessarily G.711).

by Rémi Denis-Courmont on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:35 pm

Quadro Architect

Quote Originally Posted by Narval View Post
    Hello !

From VLC support forum :

Question : Does VLC have support of ulaw/alaw with static payload type ?

Answer : VLC can transcode to PCMU/PCMA from any audio codec. What VLC cannot do (properly) is resampling and downmixing. In other words, it will work with any 8kHz mono input (but not necessarily G.711).

by Rémi Denis-Courmont on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:35 pm
    Exactly! But I guess, this is not the only problem preventing it to work with RTP. I suppose there are bugs too. They had a new version recently (version 1.0.0 at last ), but I didn't test that yet..

Quote Originally Posted by davrays View Post
    BTW, with Quadro having the RTP streaming solution (available now in 5.1 versions) you will not only have the ability to sending MOH from external source. You will get new ability, which I guess, cannot be achieved solely by the capabilities of Snom phones .

Namely - you can now stream the call queue message from an external source.
    You would need to select the "Alternative Call Queuing" mode to be able to use this.. (activated from a hidden page).
    This ability is not advertised or even documented, but can be used...

Just an additional thought

Best regards,
    David
    Hey David, this sounds exactly like what I need to do for a client with a Quadro 2xi:- what is this hidden page so I can try call queuing message from a streaming source.

Quadro Architect

The name of that hidden page is "extmanagement.cgi". Enable the "Use alternative call queueing mode" for your extension, then enjoy new parameters at "User Management"->"Edit Entry"->"Call Queue Settings"

Thanks David,

I found the page, but you get more parameters at:
    Users
    Extensions Management
    Click on tick box next to extension number
    Edit
    Call Queue Settings

Directly it is:
    usermgmtcallqueuesettings.cgi
    Last edited by darylp; 02-07-2010 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Clarification

Using:
    usermgmtcallqueuesettings.cgi

Have successfully implemented streaming music on hold for call queueing with a 2xi.
    Using Epygi Music Streamer, (EMS), to play a client promotional mp3.

Works beautifully, customer is happy to now pay!

Streaming music on hold is an important feature which has been available on lesser analog PABXes for a long time.

Epygi now need to sponsor development of VLC so it can transcode mp3 to g711u RTP.

With VLC transcoding bugs fixed, music on hold could be an Internet radio station.
    Currently, you cannot stream an Internet radio station as no station streams as RTP g711u.

Quadro Architect

Do you think streaming Internet Radio station as Call Queue message or Hold Music is practical?

I had an idea in mind to allow to listen streaming channels from the phone by dialing some service code like *95<two-digit station number>. That could allow somebody to just sit at their desk, press a speakerphone button, and listen to a radio. But even this seems not very practical to me...

Also note that broadcasting the radio stations is not always allowed.

Thread Information