PDA

View Full Version : Quadro 2xi S interface goes to sleep

darylp
05-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Howdy,
I've got a Quadro 2xi firmware 4.1.52/Release.

After a day or so, the S interface goes to sleep.
The Quadro is oblivious to incoming calls.
It seems to come back again after an hour.

If I remove the S interface lead & replace it, that forces it to reinitialise.
I've changed out the NT1PlusII termination unit, but it still faults.

There is nothing in the logs about the ISDN interface losing sync etc.
The Quadro thinks all is well.

I suspect the S interface on the Quadro is intermittent.
Any ideas?

TECHNICAL APPENDIX:
L2 & L3 Settings
B1 Channel Enabled
B2 Channel Enabled
Generate Progress Tone to IP Disabled
Alternative Disconnection Mode Enabled
Enable CLIR Service Disabled
Switch Type basic_net3
Channel Selection preferred
Bearer Establishment Procedure on progress indication with in-band information
Called Party Type of Number Unknown
Calling Party Type of Number Unknown
Called Party Numbering Plan ISDN/telephony numbering plan
Calling Party Numbering Plan ISDN/telephony numbering plan
Incoming Called Digits Size 0
Excessive Ack. Delay T200 4000 msec.
Idle Timer T203 10000 msec.
T302 Timer 4000 msec.
T309 Timer 0 msec.
T310 Timer 60000 msec.
Alert Guard Timeout 150 msec.
Passive Mode Enabled
Enable TEI Remove Procedure Disabled

KSComs
05-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Daryl ring Telstra and ask them to make LAYER 2 Permanent...
That should keep the synchronisation link up.

Regards

Kevin

KSComs
05-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Out of interest why are you using "S" bus with the NT1PlusII's ... do you have multiple ISDN Devices ?

Are you using the analogue circuits out of the NT1 too and just sending 1 number to the 2xI?

Regards

Kevin

darylp
05-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Daryl ring Telstra and ask them to make LAYER 2 Permanent...
That should keep the synchronisation link up.

Regards

Kevin

Thanks Kevin,
I'll give it a go, however, wouldn't I see something in the Quadro System Events log if sync went down?

I've got 4 other sites that don't seem to have this problem:- or is it they just don't know they have a problem ;)

darylp
05-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Out of interest why are you using "S" bus with the NT1PlusII's ... do you have multiple ISDN Devices ?

Are you using the analogue circuits out of the NT1 too and just sending 1 number to the 2xI?

Regards

Kevin

I've have Quadro 2xi, not Quadro 2x. The NT1PlusII service includes CLI as standard whereas the NT1 service doesn't. Having a NT1PlusII is also invaluable for ISDN problem determination.

I've got a POTS phone plugged into the Tel2 port & the client can hear that ring, but not the Quadro. I've also got an Alarm plugged into Tel1, which will work even in the event of a power failure.

I've actually got 4 numbers programmed-up in the Quadro, & for problem determination, I've got 2 numbers programmed on Tel2 so incoming calls will ring the POTS phone.

I'm about to install a POTS modem in a PC with remote access.
It will be connected to Tel2 so I can remotely program-up a Telstra call diversion, if required.

KSComs
05-08-2008, 06:56 PM
I've have Quadro 2xi, not Quadro 2x. The NT1PlusII service includes CLI as standard whereas the NT1 service doesn't. Having a NT1PlusII is also invaluable for ISDN problem determination.

I've got a POTS phone plugged into the Tel2 port & the client can hear that ring, but not the Quadro. I've also got an Alarm plugged into Tel1, which will work even in the event of a power failure.

I've actually got 4 numbers programmed-up in the Quadro, & for problem determination, I've got 2 numbers programmed on Tel2 so incoming calls will ring the POTS phone.

I'm about to install a POTS modem in a PC with remote access.
It will be connected to Tel2 so I can remotely program-up a Telstra call diversion, if required.

Daryl , I knew you had a 2xi .. I was referring to ISDN which is only available in the 2xi ..

As far as CLI .. that is standard on ISDN BRI's which is also with the NT1's ... I have thousands of customers using NT1's all with CLI ... some with MSNs but none are using the services how you are using them.

Some use the "S" bus terminations to be able to pull one of the 8 numbers to a specific ISDN device but none are using the analogue circuits of the NT1PlusII and the "S" bus at the same time.

It might be that the exchange you have this device connected to might be one of older technology or how the ISDN is delivered is different to that of all the others and could be causing your scenario the problems you are encountering.

Why not prove to yourself that it isnt the EPYGI and NT1 PLUSII by moving them to other locations where it works and see if the fault moves with the devices.

If it doesnt move with the devices then your ISDN connection is at fault or how it is programmed at the exchange. Then you can ask Telstra questions why etc...

Regards

Kevin

darylp
05-08-2008, 08:39 PM
...As far as CLI .. that is standard on ISDN BRI's which is also with the NT1's ...

Hi Kevin,
Thats not the info I've got, for a NT1 service CLI is an additional charge:
http://telstra.com.au/isdn/isdn2.htm

Maybe you know something I don't ;)

...It might be that the exchange you have this device connected to might be one of older technology or how the ISDN is delivered is different to that of all the others and could be causing your scenario the problems you are encountering.

I like your thinking.

Why not prove to yourself that it isnt the EPYGI and NT1 PLUSII by moving them to other locations where it works and see if the fault moves with the devices.

If it doesnt move with the devices then your ISDN connection is at fault or how it is programmed at the exchange. Then you can ask Telstra questions why etc...

I like your robust engineering approach, but the logistics of doing this is horrendous, easier to get Telstra to make layer 2 permanent.

Thanks for your advice.

KSComs
05-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Daryl, CLI incoming is standard on all Telstra business enhanced ISDN services.

Monthly Access1 ISDN 2 Enhanced BusinessLine Complete*
($66.50 prior to 1 July, 2003) $68.50 (effective 1 July 2003)

Features included with Line Rental
Call Waiting No charge
Call Forward No charge
Calling Number Display No charge

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monthly Access Business Line Complete*
($61.50 prior to 1 July, 2003) $63.50

Calling Number Display (Calling Line Presentation) $5.50 per month per service

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I never order ISDN without enhanced services added. So with your services if you look at the ISDN Enhanced services... you get CLIP included in the cost of the line rental ( $63.50 + $5.50 )

So $68.50 is the pricing that your customers are paying anyway if you order the standard ISDN services ... put them on the Enhanced ISDN and they get the bonus services...

Regards

Kevin

darylp
05-09-2008, 12:44 AM
...Telstra business enhanced ISDN services....

Oh, *enhanced* sure, enhanced comes with CLI as standard as they supply a NT1PlusII, not a NT1.

Hey, you mention to make layer 2 permanent, thats means the NT1PlusII will always have a sync light active doesn't it?

UPDATE:
Rang Telstra ISDN faults on 132255, requesting to keep line sync active.
They did a routine check of the line & found battery, (DC), on the line.
A technician will go out Monday to investigate.

KSComs
05-09-2008, 03:42 AM
Actually Daryl NT1 PLUS II's are a remnance from Telstras HOME variety of ISDN not used for businesses at all unless it was so Telstra could get away with having to run copper in the street.

NT1PLUS II's are definitely not widely used in the standard business world.

"THEY" Telstra Do NOT supply NT1 PLUS II's as standard for business customers... you are not being told the right information there. I know that around 95% of the Business customer ISDN accounts that I have ever had to program to a telephone system receive NT1s with CLI as standard and usually receive DID's.

From Telstras website...

http://telstra.com.au/isdn/products.htm#anchor2

ISDN 2

ISDN 2 is the standard ISDN service providing two digital lines and two numbers as standard. Up to eight numbers are possible by adding Multiple Numbers to the service.

You also have the flexibility to add optional features such as Direct Indial, which allows callers to bypass the switchboard and dial staff direct, or Line Hunt, which diverts incoming calls to the first free line to make sure your calls are answered when you are not available. ISDN 2 can be set up as either point to point, or point to multipoint allowing a wide range of hardware compatibility.

ISDN 2 is supported by 24 hour fault reporting, fault restoration within 12 hours and service coverage from 7am to 9pm Monday to Saturday, including public holidays. Click here for further details on the Enhanced Customer Select Assurance options for ISDN 2, including Rural and Remote areas.Return to top of page

ISDN 2 Enhanced

Telstra ISDN 2 Enhanced transforms your existing analogue telephone line into two digital connections, so you can have faster access to the Internet and still make and receive regular phone calls and faxes.

It's an easy upgrade that gives you (2) lines and (2) telephone numbers without installing a new service. In most cases you can keep your existing phone number. Call Waiting and Call Forward can be kept free of charge*, and you'll receive Calling Number Display (CND) ** absolutely free.

Best of all, Telstra ISDN 2 Enhanced includes all the hardware you need to get connected. You don't have to buy a separate modem or anything else. For details of the equipment supplied as part of Telstra's ISDN 2 Enhanced service, please see the Telstra ISDN NT1 Plus II section.

It's an easy-to-install, one-stop-shop solution for all your communications needs,

ISDN 2 Enhanced allows the direct connection of an IBM-compatible PC equipped with a Pentium (or equivalent speed) processor running under Windows 98, 2000, ME, XP or NT version 4 service pack 4 and onwards. Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X version 10.1 is also supported. If you require connection of any other type of computer, a separate terminal adaptor or ISDN card is required.
ISDN 2 Enhanced is supported by 24 hour fault reporting, fault restoration within 12 hours and service coverage from 7am to 9pm Monday to Saturday, including public holidays. Click here for further details on the Enhanced Customer Select Assurance options for ISDN 2 Enhanced, including Rural and Remote areas.

Note: Direct Indial is not available on ISDN 2 Enhanced

* Calls forwarded using call forward feature are charged at standard charge rates.
** Use of CND requires compatible equipment.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aside from this.... it is good that Telstra found the foreign battery on the line and are in the process of fixing it for you, but that fault should have showed up with your diagnostics using standard handsets etc.

Regards

Kevin