PDA

View Full Version : 5.0.x Software

lansmart
04-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Would anyone from Epygi care to comment on the architecture and features of the "new" release we keep hearing about in the forums. The info posted is very fragmented.

Having a product and feature roadmap is essential to keeping the reseller community onboard so we can plan for the future and help identify opportunities that we may otherwise ignore because of known limitations with the existing 4.x platform.

For instance, I recently decided not to pursue an opportunity for a 80 seat organisation as I did not believe a stacked solution would offer sufficient benefit to the customer over an alternative solution from another reseller. Then I find out a month or so later that a bigger Quadro will be available some time (soon?, I still don't know when). As this was an RFP, this may not have been a dealbreaker and I may have pursued the opportunity on the promise of being able to deliver.

Also, I could not search for 5.0 or 5.0.x in the forums, 0 results returned !!!

davrays
06-09-2008, 12:51 PM
We'll publish the new features list on 5.0.x soon.

KSComs
06-28-2008, 07:23 PM
Will Hot Desking be a feature that will be natively implemented on the Quadro's Firmware 5 using the enhanced capacity of the Snom Hot Desking feature within 7.1.33 as per the link?

This feature enabled will be ideal for Call Centres.

http://wiki.snom.com/Hot_Desking

Regards

Kevin

lansmart
06-30-2008, 02:43 AM
Bah, 7.1.33

It break my 320!!!!

Seriously though, I had to TFTP a new image after an apparently "successful" upgrade. If success means hanging on the "Please wait...." message after restarting then yes, my upgrade was utterly successful.

And SNOM pulled this firmware at least once before because of upgrade issues.... I am not endeared to these guys.

KSComs
06-30-2008, 04:45 AM
I just tftp'd 2 times to get around it....

Regards,

Kevin

Janousek
08-08-2008, 10:45 AM
SW QUADRO 2,4,16x version 5.0.11 has problem with PRINT and display of the table of Extensions Management and Call Routing Table. The new format of web site with vertical limit give not possibility print! whole table with all rows. Is it possible the format of those web-sites to give back? Thanks.

davrays
08-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Well, looks like our GUI enhancement has some drawbacks...

Thanks for noting the problem, we'll think what we can do. Probably can make the tables view configurable, or something this kind.

However there is no possibility to show the tables the old way on the current 5.0.11.

If you want to print them now, the best way is to select the content of the whole table, copy that, then paste in MS Word. Delete the first column, and print. This could be a temporary solution.

Janousek
08-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Thanks for your response. But I think, the both sites without scrollbars, that was better.

teamnet
08-11-2008, 02:41 AM
My 2 cents - scroll bars, much better.

Better yet, some sort of "edit" icon next to each extension. It's not like you select multiple ones to edit anyway....

Also, some easy way of transitioning between the administrative edit and the user "view" e.g. voicemail settings. It's a pain to have to jump around different parts of the GUI for settings related to the same object. Even better again, just add the user editable stuff to the administrative stuff. Hope this makes sense.

teamnet
08-11-2008, 02:45 AM
And - put a link between the line settings and the extension settings menus. You should never need to hit that immensely frustrating "Back" button (not the browser back button) which tends to take you "back" to a place I rarely seem to need to go "back" to. How about "Lines list" and "Extensions list" instead of "Back"?

davrays
08-11-2008, 09:40 AM
Thanks for your response. But I think, the both sites without scrollbars, that was better.

I would not agree to you as well. The old view is nicer, but the new one is much more useful to edit long tables.

I added a poll to this topic anyway (to see the feedback), as I am probably the only person here at Epygi who thinks that both presentations should be available, so user can choose.

davrays
08-11-2008, 10:48 AM
My 2 cents - scroll bars, much better.
Better yet, some sort of "edit" icon next to each extension. It's not like you select multiple ones to edit anyway....

Why do you think so? You can select multiple extensions and edit them.

Also, some easy way of transitioning between the administrative edit and the user "view" e.g. voicemail settings. It's a pain to have to jump around different parts of the GUI for settings related to the same object. Even better again, just add the user editable stuff to the administrative stuff. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately there are too many different opinions on this topic among the Epygi staff. Every time when a good (in my opinion) improivement is suggested, there is always somebody finding the suggestion to be wrong, and suggesting his own improvements, which I find wrong, in my turn. You can see for example from Janousek's feedback, that even on almost obvious improvements, we get a number of people, who are unhappy.
Anyway, I personally agree to your suggestions, and will make some steps in that direction.

daysys
08-25-2008, 05:46 PM
David, I realize that Epygi was trying to find a better
way to improve table views. But I think they got it
wrong before and yet again in the 5.0 version. So
I can't vote in your 'either/or' poll.

Users clearly need to be able to control the table
window. There wasn't any control before, and now
there's only control over a fixed-size window. It's
like having blinders on--very annoying.

And there's a brand new problem: headers scroll with
the data lines, so you lose this important reference.

First, the column headers need to be locked at the top.

Second, the data field needs to be not just scrollable,
but auto-adjustable in height--just as it now is in
width. If you make the Web page wider, the horizontal
scroll bar eventually disappears. This doesn't happen
if you make the page higher, and is a design error.

I'm very grateful that Epygi finally dropped the greyed-
out text in the Web interface! But the manual screen-
shots are still difficult or impossible to read. I'm not
sure why, but it may be an Acrobat capture issue.

Regards, Dave

davrays
08-26-2008, 08:14 AM
Users clearly need to be able to control the table
window. There wasn't any control before, and now
there's only control over a fixed-size window. It's
like having blinders on--very annoying.

I agree, the window is small. We'll try to make it bigger as much as it possible.

And there's a brand new problem: headers scroll with
the data lines, so you lose this important reference.

The problem is not brand new - in the prev design you are losing the headers as well as the links, when scrolling :)

First, the column headers need to be locked at the top.

That will decrease the useful space in the scrolling window even more, so we can do that only after we increase the window somehow.

Second, the data field needs to be not just scrollable,
but auto-adjustable in height--just as it now is in
width. If you make the Web page wider, the horizontal
scroll bar eventually disappears. This doesn't happen
if you make the page higher, and is a design error.

I found out that is questionable. I personally agree to you and I would prefer autoadjustable scroll, but we have people here who think different. From my experience - I met two kinds of web developers: one part thinks that everything on the web-page should be autoadjustible, others think that everything should have fixed sizes and places. And this is a question of principle for them. I personally would prefer to stand aside of this kind of discussions, as they never have a chance to bring to any agreement.

I'm very grateful that Epygi finally dropped the greyed-
out text in the Web interface! But the manual screen-
shots are still difficult or impossible to read. I'm not
sure why, but it may be an Acrobat capture issue.

I revised our manuals (actually I never read them before :) and I completely agree to you - the screen captures are hardly readable. There are two versions of manuals - the one downloadable from the web (it is smaller, and lower quality), and the one placed on CD (a little bit better quality). But both of them contain low quality captures. I will ask corresponding persons to improve that somehow: probably we would need to have high quality docs at least on the CD, as we have a plenty of space there.

daysys
08-29-2008, 07:27 PM
Perhaps it's a defect in my logic, but it seems obvious
to me that auto-adjust gives the user the choice of
fixed or variable windows. If the user wants fixed
views, they simply avoid expanding the overall window;
if they want more space, they can adjust it to suit.

There's a kind of arrogance here when designers lock for
all users the display format they will get. Why should you
have to negotiate for more fixed vertical space because
of a silly insistence on fixed formats? The number of table
lines and user preference should determine format.

I sympathize with the difficulty of dealing with a design
team saddled with obsolete design 'philosophies'. Dave

cornepiek
09-08-2008, 08:02 AM
gee you guys are fussy.

give the guys some slack.

there are more than one way to skin a cat.
your method might hurt you less than it'll hurt me, but thats only because you did it a million times more.

these chaps have to think for the whole world, which includes the brilliant poeple like me, myself and i, who can make the easiest thing in the world seem difficult.
i othe words, what you think is easy or better might no make sense to me or someone else. now that is only an excuse for us morons to complain about everything and the poeple who actually know what the hell is going on, to get fed up with us.

Janousek
01-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Well, looks like our GUI enhancement has some drawbacks...

Thanks for noting the problem, we'll think what we can do. Probably can make the tables view configurable, or something this kind.

However there is no possibility to show the tables the old way on the current 5.0.11.

If you want to print them now, the best way is to select the content of the whole table, copy that, then paste in MS Word. Delete the first column, and print. This could be a temporary solution.

Hi, David,

remains a problem with printing the contents of both items (Extensions table and Call Routing table). Why another vertical scrollbar in the window when scrollbar is also in browser? Can add an icon to print the contents of the entire table? Without copying and printing from MS Word.

Best regards,

Pavel