PDA

View Full Version : Conference Calls

arquimedesl
10-15-2007, 12:37 AM
Hi:

I got several Linksys SPA922s with a Quadro 4X and I am having problems trying to set up conference calls basically what happens is this:

I am trying to set up conference calls, if I receive a call, use the
"conf" softkey and make a new call to make it join the conference and
then use the "conf" softkey again, all calls are dropped on the three
phones

Has anybody have had this problem?

Regards

Daniel Cristini

AramK
10-15-2007, 02:52 PM
Linksys SPA922s phones are not tested in Epygi lab and not in our Supported Phones list, hence we do not guranatee the correct funcionality of all the features of that phones. Have you tried the button sequence "Hold + Conf", as it work in other phones ? Let's say you have one active call, then pressing Hold,calling tothe secondparty and pressing "Conf", when one call is active and the second one is on Hold.

arquimedesl
10-16-2007, 12:22 AM
Yes, I have tried that, with the same result.

If the SPA922 is not supported I guess there is not much more I can do, I have already installed the latest firmware on both the Quadro and the SPA922s, there is however one last question, while checking on the Quadro Call Statistics, in the Succesful Calls section I get an interesting status in the detail section of all the tests I have tried with conference calls:
Close Reason: CM note: "Not Supported", could you please tell me what that means?

Regards

AramK
10-16-2007, 01:04 AM
It means that the SPA922 is initiating the Conferencenotby SIP standards, so our Call Manager is rejecting it. It can be seen in the SIP traces of Quadro and phone.If all other features, like Transfer, Hold, etc. work normal, then probably there is a bug in Conference functionality of the phone. Have you tried to use that Conference in stand-alone configured SPA922 ? You can also turn to Linksys Support with that question.

arquimedesl
10-16-2007, 06:54 AM
Another Question, where can I get a list of supported IP phones for the Quadro?

AramK
10-16-2007, 04:50 PM
The list of Epygi Supported phones can be found in Online Help,Release Notes, also you can get familiar with the "ConfiguringEpygi Supported IP-Phones" and "ConfiguringEpygiTested IP-Phones"documents, that can be found in our WEB, under "Support Login -> Downloads ->Configuration of IP Phones and IP Lines" section. Actually there are two groups of IP-Phones, that we recommend to configure and use with Quadro. First one is Supported Phones. That are SNOM 300/320/360, Aastra5xi series and Aastra480i(CT)/9133i/9112i phones. We have Plug-and-Play functionality for them and they support all the Quadro features. The second catergory is the tested phones, such as different models of Polycom and Grandstream phones, Cisco7960, SipUra, Berkshire5000, etc. We have autoprovisioning for these phones and the Quadro features are work on these phones with some restrictions/differences. All that functionality is described in the documents, that you can find in the same place, as I wrote above. You can find the list of these phones also on the "Telephony -> Line Settings -> IP Line Settings" page, by clicking on some IP-Line.

ssteiner
10-18-2007, 03:09 AM
Are you the same guy that posted in the Linksys forum? I have one SPA922... I just tried some conferencing.
Here's what I tested:
SPA922 calls SPA962
SPA962 answers
SPA922 presses conf and calls SPA942
SPA942 answers
SPA922 presses conf key - and the conference is established.

I also did it leaving out step 4 so putting the SPA942 into the conference without consultation.

I then also tried with the SPA962 calling the 922 and the 922 conferencing in the SPA942, and combinations with other phone types.. I never had any issue whatsoever.

As aramk pointed out, you need to look at traces next. However, I've heard of this happening even when the phones are connected to the Linksys SPA9000 - though, nobody ever managed to reliably reproduce the problem.

AramK
10-18-2007, 05:47 AM
Actually the "conf+conf" combinationis thecommon one for the IP-Phonesto initiate a Conference, but in his first postarquimedesl said that it isn't work at all. Maybe that is not permanent problem, don't know ...

arquimedesl
10-19-2007, 12:29 PM
Sorry I haven't answered, been playing the project management game for a bit...

The list of Epygi Supported phones can be found in Online Help,Release Notes....

Thank you for the info, I noticed that in the list of Supported phones
are three models of Grandstream we use, I will test conference calls
with them in order to rule out if the problem is with the the
configuration of the SPA922s or a configuration problem in the Quadro.

Are you the same guy that posted in the Linksys forum?

Yep, that's me, the username is different here because it was registered by the guy that used to handle the Quadro before.

I have one SPA922... I just tried some conferencing.

Here's what I tested:

SPA922 calls SPA962

SPA962 answers

SPA922 presses conf and calls SPA942

SPA942 answers

SPA922 presses conf key - and the conference is established.

I also did it leaving out step 4 so putting the SPA942 into the conference without consultation.

I
then also tried with the SPA962 calling the 922 and the 922
conferencing in the SPA942, and combinations with other phone types.. I
never had any issue whatsoever.

Thank you very much for that info, this leads me to believe that the
problem is not inherent to the phone or the PABX but to a configuration
problem in either side, very good news indeed.

As aramk pointed out, you need
to look at traces next. However, I've heard of this happening even when
the phones are connected to the Linksys SPA9000 - though, nobody ever
managed to reliably reproduce the problem.

Ok. I will plug Wireshark in on Monday to see the traffic between the
Quadro and at least the SPA922 that would handle the conference call

Interestingly enough, I made a change on the SPA922: marked the option
"notify conference" (which is unmarked by default) and what happens now
is that the phone handling the conference won't unhold the original
call and start the conference, however it doesn't drop the calls either.

Actually the "conf+conf" combinationis thecommon one for the IP-Phonesto initiate a Conference, but in his first postarquimedesl said that it isn't work at all. Maybe that is not permanent problem, don't know ...

The problem so far seems permanent, however the info that I got today
might give me some leads as to solve the problem, I now do know that
it's not inherent to the phones or the PABX it's a configuration problem of
some sort (of course it might be that the configuration we have NEEDS
to be kept that way and I still don't get to solve the problem, but at
least I now have some info to make some new tests)

I agree, the "conf"-"conf" combination seems to be the usual way to handle conference in "high-end" IP phones.

I have noticed that the SPA 841 is supported and auto-provisioned by
the Quadro, so I have one question for ssteiner: is the software for
this phone from the same family as the 922? I will configure a line
with an 841 just to see if I can get the configuration parameters the
Quadro considers optimal for it, if the software is is of the same
family as the 922 it might help me determine if I need to change the
configuration in my phones. In order to make auto-provision work I had
to move my DHCP server to something that could handle advanced DHCP
configuration (such as the TFTP option, since the Quadro is NOT our
main DHCP server, we use it ONLY as a PABX)

the other question is for aramk: from the literature I have available
with the SPA922 it seems it can handle a three way conference by itself
(although I don't know under which circumstances), I would definitely
prefer to have the conference handled by the PABX, however, the 922
also supports conference bridges, now I have read some literature on
the Quadro that COULD be interpreted that it has a built in 7 user
conference bridge, however no hard info on that shows up on the docs.
The 922s support conference bridges, but of course you need some sort
of URL for that, now the question is, is my impression correct? and if
so, what would be the form of the URL I need?

An amusing side-note: my boss wasn't too happy when he found out that
the 922s were not supported, apparently the guy that sold us the Quadro
claimed they were the recommended phones for that PABX It's clear now
that they barely knew how to configure it (like for example using the
G.711 codec for everything and pretending to have 5 simultaneous
conversations on a 512k Link with a CIR of 128K), so I guess it's not
surprising, I have been playing with this thing for about a month, so I
am still learning how to use it. In any case, he'll be happy to know
that somehow the SPA922s CAN do conference with the Quadro, of course
whether I can make it work with our kit remains to be seen :)
Edited by: arquimedesl

AramK
10-21-2007, 03:20 PM
We can't say anything about SPA922, as it is not tested in our lab and we are nor aware of that phone's configuration.

We implemented 10-party conference feature on Quadro, but it is currently not open, beacuse of some stability issues. It will be availabe soon, after the problems will be solved. It is Conference Extension, that can mix up to 10 caller in one conference.

ssteiner
10-21-2007, 05:57 PM
I'm not sure all the firmware options you see in the recent Linksys devices really work :) When you see some "how it works" examples you can count on it working, but if there's not even an example, that's perhaps something they are considering for the future (wait for an SPA500 conference bridge ;)

I'm sure that the early firmwares for the SPA9xx series was very similar to the SPA841, but the 841 is EOL and with all the new options, there's a lot of things you cannot configure on the 9xx phones. However, if you're not worried about reconfiguring a phone, you could as well give it a shot.. the xml configuration files do look pretty much the same.. but the config files for the new phones just have a whole lot of additional information. Seeing on how the phones get autoconfigured on an SPA9000, I think that if a parameter is left out from the config file, the preconfigured value on the phone will remain the same as before.

If you can give me your email address, I could send over my SPA922 config so you can compare it with yours - it might be different since all my SPA phones were autoconfigured from the SPA9000 until I shut this off last week (the phones would have the line that connects to the SPA9000 re-enabled at every boot, and boot whenever the SPA9000 booted.. and I really don't need that anymore now that I've moved all the phones to my Quadro).

AramK
10-21-2007, 07:15 PM
I'm not sure all the firmware options you see in the recent Linksys devices really work :)

Stephan, andafter all this you stillwant us to support the Linksys phones ? :))

ssteiner
10-21-2007, 07:31 PM
Well.. they are rather cheap so if a customer needs cheap IP phones, the Linksys ones are a good choice. And I suppose with the SPA932 add-on module, you could even turn the SPA962 into a useful attendant phone (those buttons can serve as speedials and BLF.. that's not quite all the options you have on a Snom or Aastra, but it's a start). I'd take the SPA942 over a Snom 300 every day - it's much more user friendly and easier to operate.

And of course, you always have me tracing and checking against the RFC to see if feature X not working may not be the phone's fault :)

arquimedesl
10-22-2007, 06:48 AM
Hi all, just checked tried to do a conference call with an outside line, a Grandstream BT200 and a Grandstream GPX2000, and guess what? it doesn't work either, the original call is dropped. So, whatever configuration snafu I have, is on the Quadro, not on the phones.

Just to make sure the phones were not the issue, I used auto-provisioning.

aramk, I realize of course that you can't comment on the SPA 922, I was just wondering if the Quadro provided the functionality of a conference bridge and what parameters would be needed to activate it.

In any case it seems to point to the Quadro now since tested phones don't work either.

ssteiner, since I suspect we won't be getting rid of the SPA 922s anytime soon I would love to have a better configuration for them, I'll PM you my email address.

Thanks a lot guys

AramK
10-23-2007, 07:34 PM
There is no additional configuration on the Quadro to "activate" the Conference feature, if the phones are configured via Autoprovisioning. More, in case of using IP-Phones, the mixer is the phone, initiating Conference. Here is the documented steps for initiating Conference on BT200 and GXP2000. These are tested and work OK in our lab, also at costomers side.

CONFERENCE -> dial the number -> SEND or # -> call establishment -> CONFERENCE

LINEx -> Dial -> call establishment -> CONF

You can find more details about using another Quadro features on Grandstream phones from the document "Quadro Features on Epygi's Tested IP Phones list (http://pps.epygi.loc/pdf/TS/QuadroFeaturesonEpygiTestedIPPhonesList-Rev1.1-MedRes.pdf)", that can be found in our WEB, under "Support Login -> Downloads" section.Edited by: aramk

AramK
10-23-2007, 07:38 PM
Here is one suspection. If you use some IP-PSTN provider and trying to involve that call into the Conference, then maybe the call is dropped from providers side. Try to make the conference between internal phones, connected to Quadro and inform as about results.

ssteiner
10-24-2007, 02:15 AM
Have you seen this happening (outside line dropping)? I've never had any problems with calls coming in.. but calls going out is another matter entirely.. there are providers that respond with OK to a REFER, but then drop the call, or drop the voice channel.
And if you have two internal users, I'd think the outside line would not be concerned as the bridging is done on the Epigy and not at the provider's.

arquimedesl
10-24-2007, 05:42 AM
Hi all:

Just tried that, since I only have two grandstreams I did the following tests:

SPA922 Calling the BT200 and then attempts establishing a conference with the GXP2000, result: the BT200 remains listening to the 'hold' music provided by the phone and the conference never starts

SPA922 Calling the GXP2000 and then attempts establishing a conference with
the BT200, result: the GXP2000 remains listening to the 'hold' music
provided by the phone and the conference never starts

SPA922 Calling the BT200 and then the BT200 attempts establishing a conference
with the GXP2000, result: call dropped on the SPA922

SPA922 Calling the GXP2000 and then the GXP2000 attempts establishing a conference
with the BT200, result: call dropped on the SPA922, the GXP2000 lists the original call as "missed"

BT200 calling the SPA922 and then attempts establishing a conference with the GXP2000, result: call dropped on the SPA922

BT200 calling the GXP2000 and then attempts establishing a conference with the SPA922 , result: call dropped on the GXP2000, the GXP2000 does NOT list the original call as "missed"

BT200 calling the SPA922 and then the SPA922 attempts establishing a
conference with the GPX2000, result: the BT200 remains listening to the 'hold' music

BT200 calling the GXP2000 and then the GXP2000 attempts establishing a conference with the SPA922, result: Call dropped on the BT200

GPX2000 calling the SPA922 and then attempts establishing a conference with the BT200, result: call dropped on the SPA922

GPX2000 calling the BT200 and then attempts establishing a conference with the SPA922, result: call dropped on the BT200

GPX2000 calling the SPA922 and then the SPA922 attempts establishing a conference with the BT200, result: the GXP2000 remains listening to the 'hold' music

GPX2000 calling the BT200 and then the BT200 attempts establishing a conference with the SPA922, result: call dropped on the GXP2000

arquimedesl
10-24-2007, 05:52 AM
I also tried with three SPA922s the results were the same on all tests, the phone which was on hold while the conference was being setup, remained listening to the internal music and the conference never started

arquimedesl
10-24-2007, 05:57 AM
I also tried with three SPA922s the results were the same on all tests, the phone which was on hold while the conference was being setup, remained listening to the internal music and the conference never started

It's worthwhile to mention that I am using the codec G.729 on EVERYTHING since my outside bandwidth is limited (512K Link with a 128K CIR), and that I am using the SPA922 "built-in" hold music.

AramK
10-24-2007, 03:26 PM
The codec is not a matter in that case, but it seems you have some fundamental problem there, as I can see that non of your attempts of making conference were successful. Could you please try the same again with disabled "built-in" hold music on SPA922 ? Maybe in the cases when you have hold-music played to the conference parties, the conference is established actually, but you hear hold-music, because the SPA922 is sending it simplyignoring the conference.

arquimedesl
10-26-2007, 02:07 AM
I configured the IP lines as follow in order to get rid of the music: Send Hold Music to remote party <Enabled>, Listen Hold Music: <Off>, sorry about that I got confused, it seems that unless I do that the 922 will play music while on hold.

Same results, except that instead of the hold music I get a very faint voice in the third phone in the conference, whennever the 922 is setting it up, in all other cases, the call is dropped

AramK
10-28-2007, 05:58 PM
I think the problem here not in the IP-Line configuration, but in the 922 phoneitself. Change the IP-Line's Hold Music configuration back todefaultand check your phone's configuration, to see if there any setting is enabled connected to Hold Music management.

arquimedesl
10-30-2007, 07:19 AM
Hi all, I solved the problem, however, the solution won't work for my setup

First of all, when a call is accepted by the attendant (Extension 00 in my setup) when the call is put on hold, there will ALWAYS be hold music, this confused me and I thought it was the SPA922 phones.

Now for how I found the problem:

Since I was a my at the end of my wits, I got an analog phone and plugged it in the first FXS port of the Quadro, since we don't have the license to use G.729 on the FXS ports I used G.711u. And then, lo and behold: I was able to setup a conference with the Analog Line AND the two Grandstreams (remember I had then on auto-provisioning)

It turns out that the Grandstreams WON'T setup conference calls with 2 G.729 lines, at least one of the needs to be configured as G.711u.

With this knowledge at hand I configured the SPA922, the BT200 and the GXP2000 to negotiate G7.11u, G7.11a AND G.729 and was able to setup conference calls between all three in any combination.

I also discovered that I could set up a conference call between an outside call and the 2 Grandstreams with no problems, however was still unable to do so with the SPA922, WHEN the SPA922 setup the conference

Further testing showed that the SPA922 will ONLY setup a conference call with two G.711u sessions. So I configured the line assigned to the attendant to setup calls with G.711u and was able to setup conferences with any of my extensions.

So basically, the only solution to my problem (as far as I can see) is to use G.711u, however, at this time this is not possible because my current bandwidth is limited and will only allow three calls with G.711u.

Even if I only used Grandstreams, it would be a partial solution cause I need AT LEAST one of the calls to be setup with G.711u

So, the possible solutions are:
- We increase our bandwidth so I can use G.711u for everything
- Find phones that are able to handle conference calls with G.729 ONLY
- Beg that the conference bridge functionality of the Quadro can do the dirty work for for us when released. (and of course pay for it, cause I suspect it will be an optional feature)

So, that leaves me with two questions:

ssteiner, since you seem to have some inside knowledge of Linksys Phones, do you think it is a possibility that a future release of software will allow to have the capability to use G.729 for conference calls (I suspect this will not happen, cause from what I understand G.729 is more processor intensive than G.711u)

aramk, do you know if any of the phones supported in the Quadro CAN handle conference calls with only G.729?

Thanks for your help guys

AramK
10-30-2007, 04:46 PM
Hmmm ... very interesting. So there were a phone issue connected to some codecs' support. At least Snom (we recommend Snom190, 200, 220,300, 320 and360)phones can handle a conference with only G.729. I'll check with Aastra phones and will inform about results.

AramK
10-30-2007, 06:55 PM
After some testing we've found that all the Aastra phones phones Supported by Epygi (Aastra 480i, 9133i, 9112i, 5xi series)also can handle conference with only G.729. Hence we can state, thatAll theEpygi Supported phones have that possibility.

arquimedesl
10-31-2007, 02:32 AM
Thanks aramk, I'll pass that info along to the boss, and watch him fume over the ride our local supplier took him on :D