PDA

View Full Version : No comms through router

iwebbe
01-22-2007, 03:46 PM
Perhaps I am just missing the obvious, but I simply cannot get the Quadro to talk to the outside world!

I havethe Quadro connected to a NetComm NB8W router (via the LAN port) and while I can connect locally, the Quadro seems unable to 'talk' through the router and I can see no way to configure the device with a Gateway address to give it the path to the Internet...

If I connect the Quadro to the NB8W in the WAN port, the Quadro simply states that the WAN port is not connected (no WAN link). ???

I tried a different router, but no luck there either. Any ideas?

threebit
01-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Is your NetComm router running DHCP? Meaning, is it handing out IP addresses?

If not, you will need to assign an IP address to the WAN port of the Quadro manually. This is done in System -> Internet Connection Wizard.
You can also set the Gateway address here too.

iwebbe
01-23-2007, 02:38 PM
I have tried with the router running DHCP and not running DHCP - neither is effective.

The main problem as I see it is that the Quadro is unable to detect the fact that the WAN cable is connected. If you run NETWORK DIAGNOSTICS, the devicereports:Basic Tests:
Checking for physical link : no WAN link

Please check the physical connection of the WAN interface. Cable not plugged or broken?
Test failed.
Obviously, not a good sign... smileys/smiley11.gif Perhaps we have a hardware fault?

daysys
01-24-2007, 10:17 AM
Don't forget: the Quadro's WAN interface
is 10mbps HALF-duplex. Be sure your
router will negotiate such a link. Dave

Hati_
01-25-2007, 04:56 AM
Did you check the obvious, such as broken LAN cable?
Do the link lights on both the router and Quadro turn on when you plug the cable in?
How about different ports on the router?Edited by: Hati_

threebit
01-25-2007, 05:01 AM
Perhaps you could try a cross-over cable, or connect the other end of the WAN cable to an uplink port in your switch.

iwebbe
02-01-2007, 08:01 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions - we have now resolved our problem...

It looks as though the issue was related to the fact that the Quadro WAN link only supports 10BaseT (ie. could not work through a 10/100BaseT router).

I connected the Quadro to an old 10BaseT hub and then the hub to the router andthe Quadrostartedtalking to the WANimmediately!

Thanks again. Hopefully this fix can help others in future...