PDA

View Full Version : MYTH??? Legacy PBX on VoIP Gateway

serviplexSIP
05-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Is there anybody already installed aVoIP Gateway on an old PBX ???
This is my fisrt post about Epygi Gateway. I nerver installed it (Oh...1 FXO gateway as an FXO extension of a Quadro 4x)
I have lot of questions from potential client who don't want to change their traditional PBX but want be able to get the IP advantages. As per what I can read about Gateways it supposed to works, but is there any technical information I can get to Know "How get I get it working"

Here is some scenarios:
1-One office: Head office want to do long distance calls through the Internet (No branch, just one location)
2- 2 office: Head Office want to reach the Branch office in the other city. Each one want to take the local line of the other location to do local calls.
3- Many office: Actually have 2 offices and want a new PBX for a 3rd one. Can I install a new IP-PBX on the thrid site and gateways on the others ?

Major part are with Nortel Meridian

Thank you

Hans T

davrays
05-15-2009, 02:16 PM
Well, I believe that is not a "myth". All that should be working in reality :)

First of all you need to define which kind of GW you need. Which kind of uplink your PBX nave (FXO, ISDN, E1T1), and how many? Can you disconnect a part of those uplink ports and use them to connect to GW?

Even if you cannot use the uplink ports of your legacy PBX, you can use their regular FXS or ISDN ports (where they connect phones), to connect to QuadroFXO or QuadroISDN GW.

You can look at the following docs:

"Configuring QuadroE1/T1 Gateways to Expand Legacy PBX Facilities" ("Support Center » Downloads » Support Resources » System Configuration" or directly "http://support.epygi.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=253");

"Configuring QuadroISDN with Legacy ISDN PBX" ("Support Center » Downloads » Support Resources » System Configuration" or "http://support.epygi.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=252")

An old, but good doc called "Quadro4x with FXO connected to FXS of a PBX" ("Support Center » Downloads » Archive » Support Resources » System Configuration » Installation Scenarios" or directly "http://support.epygi.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=420". This doc is about Q4x, but can be easily applied to QuadroFXO.

In short (if you don't want to read all those docs :) ) - in the worst case (if your legacy PBX doesn't have any free uplink port) you can always connect the FXO ports of QuadroFXO to the FXS of PBX, and calling to the corresponding extension of the PBX, connect to AA of the Quadro, and make calls from there).

If all this is sounding too general, I am ready to answer to any specific question you have, Hans :)

Best regards,
David

serviplexSIP
05-16-2009, 09:43 AM
Thank you David,
first I will for sure read all the suggested documentation.
Following that I will have specific question regarding one particular project.
This one have 6 locations (3 of them have 25 phones, 8 FXO and 3 others have 10 phones, 3 FXO.) 2 new site to add.

Thank you

serviplexSIP
05-19-2009, 11:52 AM
David, I will send you a PM with details.
regards,

HansT