PDA

View Full Version : Firmware V 5.1

KSComs
10-21-2008, 02:25 AM
Will the New firmware version 5.1 version be functionality platform specific or will it be what you see is what you get ?

Ie .. will Video be enabled across all of the platforms ?

Will the SNOM 820 (http://www.snom.com/en/products/snom-820/), Grandstream GXV3000 (http://www.grandstream.com/gxv3000.html), Grandstream GXV2010 (http://www.grandstream.com/gxp2010.html) or Grandstream GXV2020 (http://www.grandstream.com/gxp2020.html) be supported in the new release? or are they proposed to be ported with the later releases of 5.1x ?

Do you have a road map of the Call Centre application ?

So many questions..... :D

Regards

Kevin

davrays
10-22-2008, 09:40 AM
So many questions :) Threre are still something which is not clear to me yet, but I'l try to answer at least to some of the questions:

Will the New firmware version 5.1 version be functionality platform specific or will it be what you see is what you get ?

5.1 features will be mostly not platform-specific, so will work on all platforms. But - some of the bigger features, which need more hardware resources, will be available only on 32x.

Ie .. will Video be enabled across all of the platforms ?

Video support is a multipart feature. As I wrote in one of the previous posts, video codecs transparent transmission (so you can connect video phones as extensions on Quadro and call with video between different extensions, and to outside) will be available on all platforms. But such things as recording videeo mails, video attendants etc, can be available only on 32x (and probably not in 5.1.x, but in later releases).

Will the SNOM 820 (http://www.snom.com/en/products/snom-820/), Grandstream GXV3000 (http://www.grandstream.com/gxv3000.html), Grandstream GXV2010 (http://www.grandstream.com/gxp2010.html) or Grandstream GXV2020 (http://www.grandstream.com/gxp2020.html) be supported in the new release? or are they proposed to be ported with the later releases of 5.1x ?

What relates to SNOM 820, we have no support for that yet (as far as I know it was announced just 1 week ago). But I think we will include the support of that in one of the 5.1 maintenance release in the beginning of the next year. What concerns to Grandstrean phones, this is not yet clear to me. There is a chance that we will not support newest models of Grandstream. This is not finally decided yet.

Do you have a road map of the Call Centre application ?

It is planned to be released as a part of 5.1 release on 32x (will be enabled by a additional feature key). The preview of that is included in the beta of 5.1
(to be available in a week-two). Call Center features are to be included only on the 32x hardware...

So many questions..... :D
Regards
Kevin

Hope I answered them all :)

Best regards,
David

Janousek
01-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Helo. December 2008 is away, please, what is new with firmware version 5.1? Thanks for answer. Regards, Pavel

davrays
01-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Good question, Pavel :)
It is under development.. still :)
... actually as far as I know the beta is already made available lately, but what concerns to the public 5.1, I cannot give reliable estimates. I would personally expect that to come out at Feb-March... (in spring.. with the first flowers blooming :D )

Best regards,
David

mikehains
01-21-2009, 07:04 PM
I am thinking this is a good place to post this question as it will be a new release feature. I have heard that the function of using internet radio or streaming music will be avalible. i am sitting on the edge of my seat to get this feature, this is one of the biggest draw backs that the Quadro have in comparision to other Phone Systems. I would like to see a Hardware change done to give the ability to use external MOH Devices, CD etc. but the ability to pickup Music from a Streaming source maybe a step in the right direction.

When will this be avalible and i am hoping it will be on all models

One of the things that i have been up against with the 2x is i really cant even get much music on it due to capacity even in its current format. One suggestion would maybe to give the 2x the abiloty to use a share to store MOH Files this means we could make bigger wav files and hold them on a share that the quadro could access

As a Reseller of Quadro i think this is one of the features that i am having to so no it doesnt go it when selling the product.

Thanks Adam

davrays
01-22-2009, 07:00 AM
I didn't know that this feature could be so critical.. Probably if we knew that, we could have done that earlier :)
Yes, the streaming MOH option will be avialable on all models, including 2x too. We will probably also provide a sample Windows application, which is able to stream audio files (mp3) from PC.

mikehains
01-22-2009, 07:11 AM
Is there any time soon that i can expect this to happen will it be in any of the 5.0.x version or only in 5.1 i would love to have this feature as soon as possible.

Also is there any talk of having a External Source jack on the units for CD etc.

I think the streaming thing will get it accross the line but having the option of advising customers that they can simply plug there CD Player or MP3 Player in would still be good.

Let me know if there is any beta versions that I can help test for you.

I have a 2x on the test bed so if you have a beta version with this feature in it i would be more then happy to do some testing to help move it along.

Thanks Adam

davrays
01-22-2009, 04:46 PM
Is there any time soon that i can expect this to happen will it be in any of the 5.0.x version or only in 5.1 i would love to have this feature as soon as possible.

This feature is to be released on 5.1 only (definitely not in 5.0.x).
I just tested it on my 5.1 version, and it looks OK (given that the PC tool is good, and the music used is not very complex and sounds OK when converted to 8KHz PCMU). You cannot use Bach music or Rock music as MoH - it will be completely corrupted when converting to lower sample rates (from 44KHz to 8KHz) to fit the telephone standards. So you have to play something simple - kind of a contemporary Pop music (as it cannot ever get worse than it is, regardless of what you use to play that :D ). Or just a speech would be OK too :)

Also is there any talk of having a External Source jack on the units for CD etc.

I think the streaming thing will get it accross the line but having the option of advising customers that they can simply plug there CD Player or MP3 Player in would still be good.

Nop, there was no talk about that for a long time :) But the Streaming solution should be OK. It may be not as convenient as audio jack approach, but it is definitely more flexible - for example you can have different streaming MOH on different extensions...

Let me know if there is any beta versions that I can help test for you.

I have a 2x on the test bed so if you have a beta version with this feature in it i would be more then happy to do some testing to help move it along.
Thanks Adam

There is a beta for M32x available, but not for 2x/4x/16x. We have an experimental 5.1 version of 2x. If you want to play with that, you would probably need to write to Epygi Tech Support..

cornepiek
01-23-2009, 06:49 AM
if you were to record your sound file at the 8kb/s bit rate rather than converting it, it sounds a lot better. You can then play a decent sound file in the app.

Using win sound recorder, convert the sound quality to ccitt a/u law first. then start your recording.
If you record at pcm for instance, and then convert it, it comes out all funky like.
I use a professional voice over with background music on my system and is plays at mp3 quality. Just remember to set your recording volume considerably low

mdutton
02-18-2009, 07:11 AM
Hey David

Will 5.1 be the first version to release the SOHO feature lockin? E.G. Will DHCP server offer default route other than Quadro? Will Quadro pickup NTP from either interface? Will Quadro allow phones to access Quadro tftp server and register from remote subnets, etc?

As Quadro's DHCP server dynamically provisions scope options based on the handset type, it seems to need to be the DHCP server, unless we stick to a single brand of handset (thus we can set static tftp options in our own DHCP server. If it is in a small network that does not have separate voice and data VLANS, will it be posible to set scope options in the Quadro so we can use it in a Windows domain environment, pushing out custom domain suffix, dns, gateway, etc?

Regards

Mark Dutton
Datamerge

davrays
02-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Hello Mark

first of all I would suggest you to look at the "DHCP Advanced Settings" link under the "DHCP Settings for the LAN Interface" in the current 5.0.x releases - it looks like it already has some options you need... - you can change virtually every DHCP setting there.

Regarding the 5.1 being teh first version to release the SOHO feature lockin... - well, I don't think that any version can unlock all the features you may think of :) We are releasing some of the limitations, but only those we find to be not dangerous to release. Creating more freedom for integrator means creating much more ways to misconfigure the unit.. and that means much bigger load on our Tech Support system, which is pretty loaded even now (mostly by the misconfiguration problems).

Thus we prefer to be conservative when unlocking any capabilities and providing flexibility of such kind.

More specifically on the point you mentioned -
1. "Will DHCP server offer default route other than Quadro"
I suppose this should be possible on the current 5.0 already.
2. "Will Quadro pickup NTP from either interface"
Nop :) You are probably the only person configuring the unit the way you need such flexibility. Quadro is supposed to Use WAN port for connection to internet. All other kinds of configuration are not recommended and thus are not explicitly supported.. :)
3. "Will Quadro allow phones to access Quadro tftp server and register from remote subnets"
If phones connect from a semote subnet, which is placed behind a router, Quadro will see only the MAC address of the router. How then it could provide the right configuration files to the phone, without having any way to identify the phone? This might be possible for some phones using proprietary multicast mechanisms for autoconfiguration, like Snom and Aastra, but not for regular DHCP-based configuration..
4. BTW, you can set static tftp options in our own DHCP server, and have at the same time several brands of handsets in the net. You will just need to configure the specific brand's MAC address ranges into your DHCP server (as each vendor has its own predefined MAC address range purchased)..

Best regards,
David

Janousek
02-20-2009, 08:53 AM
Good question, Pavel :)
It is under development.. still :)
... actually as far as I know the beta is already made available lately, but what concerns to the public 5.1, I cannot give reliable estimates. I would personally expect that to come out at Feb-March... (in spring.. with the first flowers blooming :D )

Best regards,
David

Hallo David,

please, what a experience with video H264 in v. 5.1? For example with Phone Grandstream GXV3000.

Best regards,

Pavel

KSComs
02-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Video pass through is already enabled... so the Epygi Quadro doesn't have to natively support it...

K

davrays
02-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Video pass through is already enabled... so the Epygi Quadro doesn't have to natively support it...

K

Yep, pass through is enabled starting from 5.0 versions, so this is enough to support any video-enabled IP-phone.

What refers to natively supporting the video on Quadro (video autoattendants, video voicemails, video greetings and other fancy stuff like that.. :)), that is under development, but I cannot give any estimations on dates/versions they could be included. This depends also on demand of such features. Does anyone think such features are demanded by market now?

teamnet
02-22-2009, 06:39 PM
Re DHCP delivered by a Windows server, is there any documentation on the DHCP config required for different handset brands?

E.g. for snom it is Option 66 http://<quadro IP>, option 67 snom.cgi?mac={mac}

What about Linksys SPAxxx (or other brands), obviously it is not snom.cgi and after testing, neither is it linksys.cgi

davrays
02-23-2009, 10:46 AM
teamnet, I suppose you are talking about having the DHCP on Windows server, but using Quadro as configuration server for the phones, right?

I suppose there is no such documentation (there is a demo doc on how to configure Windows DHCP server, but I didn't find an info on option 67 there), as this is more an internal thing. But you can find the names of the files if you capture the DHCP answer provided by Quadro (or the TFTP requests sent by phone after they get the DHCP answer).

mdutton
02-24-2009, 09:12 AM
Thanks David

I will check out the DHCP options.

I am pretty sure MS DHCP server can not issue scope options dynamically based on the vendor portion of the Mac.

If I only use one brand of phone I can statically configure tftp options in a remote DHCP server. My question was if I do this from a remote subnet will Quadro let the phone provision and register as a normal extension without needing to use remote extension?

With regard to using the Quadro as a router. If I am the only person doing this then I must be selling into the wrong market. The Quadro is quite weak router and as an IT company we have a diverse range of security appliances. We don't usually want to use the Quadro as a router and I am sure I am not alone here.

As a product Quadro stands alone on this point. Many IP PBXs have integrated routers, but I don't know of any that force you to use the WAN port.

Regards

Mark Dutton

mdutton
02-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Hello Mark

2. "Will Quadro pickup NTP from either interface"
Nop :) You are probably the only person configuring the unit the way you need such flexibility. Quadro is supposed to Use WAN port for connection to internet. All other kinds of configuration are not recommended and thus are not explicitly supported.. :)
David

David

In a prior post you agreed with me that this was not ideal and that you were going to make the changes. I have checked out the advanced DHCP options and you are right, they are very good and we could integrate this into a Windows network using the Quadro DHCP server. However, if we want to use the system in an existing network with an existing router, firewall, VPN appliance, etc, we have to use only the LAN port and set a static IP to default gateway. This all works fine except tht NTP client dies and the time goes out.

Surely it would not be a big job to allow the NTP server to run and access the desired NTP settings through whatever route is presented, without checking the status of the WAN port. We can work around all other issues. This is the only one that trips us up. We can't even put a bogus IP address onto the WAN port and plug it into a spare port of the switch as it insists on having a default gateway on the WAN interface, which then supercedes a static route to 0.0.0.0/0.

It is very frustrating and inhibits us selling the product in many environments.

It is simply not feasible to replace a Snapgear, or Cisco, or Netscreen, etc router with an Epygi Quadro.

Regards

Mark Dutton

davrays
02-25-2009, 01:45 PM
Hello Mark

I am pretty sure MS DHCP server can not issue scope options dynamically based on the vendor portion of the Mac.

Yep, you have to use more flexible DHCP server for that. Linux DHCP servers are able to do it, and I suppose (but not sure) there should be a DHCP server 3-rd party software which is more flexible than the MS DHCP server..

My question was if I do this from a remote subnet will Quadro let the phone provision and register as a normal extension without needing to use remote extension?

I don't think so.. If you do that from a remote subnet, Quadro will not see the MAC address of the phone, and so will not find the correct configuration.. But I am not sure yet - probably this could depend on the phone type, I'll need to make some experiments to find this out...

As a product Quadro stands alone on this point. Many IP PBXs have integrated routers, but I don't know of any that force you to use the WAN port.

However, if we want to use the system in an existing network with an existing router, firewall, VPN appliance, etc, we have to use only the LAN port and set a static IP to default gateway. This all works fine except tht NTP client dies and the time goes out.

I am not telling that Quadro should always be used as a router, and that everybody except you are configuring that as a router. Not at all.
What I tell is the following: Quadro uses port marked as "WAN", to connect to the outside world always, regardless of whether Quadro is used as a router or not. If you don't use that as a router, you may not need to use the port marked as "LAN", while "WAN" port should be used in any case.

But I see where your problem comes from. If you don't use Quadro as a router, you have two options:
1. To connect the phones to the WAN port, and lose the phone autoprovisioning capability, as that works only on Quadro's LAN side... In that case you have to configure the phones manually, which is not convenient at all.
2. To connect phones behind the Quadro (to the LAN port), while still having the rest of devices in the company at the WAN side. In that case Quadro is not a router for anyone except the phones. But in that case you will have to install an additional separate cabling in the company - for the phones, which is also not always convenient..

Exactly for that reason we have added a new option on M32x, 6L and 4Li products (on M32x and 6L that is the default) - to connect and autoprovision phones on the WAN side. As those three devices are not supposed to work as main company router, this mode is enabled for them, so you can choose the option (1) from above, but have the ability to autoprovision the phones..
I suppose the should resolve the problems, right?
The only thing missing here is the same option on the 2x/4x/16x devices. I believe they should have that option too, but looks like marketing division did not agree on that yet.. If you write a short mail to our marketing, maybe this could facilitate things...

It is simply not feasible to replace a Snapgear, or Cisco, or Netscreen, etc router with an Epygi Quadro.

Completely agree. A dedicated router definitely does more, than a light version integrated into any PBX.

Hope this was not too long :)

Best regards,
David

mdutton
02-26-2009, 08:44 AM
Hello Mark

Exactly for that reason we have added a new option on M32x, 6L and 4Li products (on M32x and 6L that is the default) - to connect and autoprovision phones on the WAN side. As those three devices are not supposed to work as main company router, this mode is enabled for them, so you can choose the option (1) from above, but have the ability to autoprovision the phones..
I suppose the should resolve the problems, right?
The only thing missing here is the same option on the 2x/4x/16x devices. I believe they should have that option too, but looks like marketing division did not agree on that yet.. If you write a short mail to our marketing, maybe this could facilitate things...
David

Hi David

Perfect! This is exactly what I want. Even though the smaller units only have 10Mbit ports, I can't see any technical reason why they could not have this functionality also. They don't support enough handsets to use too much bandwidth.

Maybe I should hassle marketing.

Here is an example.

Today a client rang in. We have a large installation where there is a large IP PBX at head office. In remote offices, we have Quintum gateways with surviveability. If the WAN link goes down, the gateways have just enough logic to allow basic services.

The WAN link has gone bad at this site and is too unreliable at present to be used. I was asked for a quick temporary solution. I pulled out a trusty 2xi I have for testing etc and programmed it up as a remote site PBX. This site uses a Cisco ISR as the router with inbuilt DHCP. I am only using Aastra 53i handsets, so I could simply set the DHCP scope option 66 to address of the Quadro. I put the LAN side on the subnet of the branch network and made up a new subnet for the WAN port and had the IT provider alias a second address in this range on the Cisco.

The whole thing worked great, but when I tried to SIP trunk to the head office PBX, The Quadro tried to connect to the remote PBX via the WAN port on my bogus IP which was not routable from the remote site. I could not put in a static default route as it errors saying the route already exists. I got around this by putting in a 192.168.0.0/16 static route through the LAN gateway. All sites are on 192.168 class Cs so it could route and problem was solved. However, it would have been so much easier if I could have just used the WAN port like on the bigger units.

Tell me who to talk to and I will definately put forward my case. It should be done if for no other reason than to make the feature set consistent across the range.

We have just sold two systems. 6L and 4Li, so they will be easy.

Now that was long :)

Regards

Mark Dutton
Datamerge

davrays
02-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Hello Mark

talk to Warren or Mario. I don't think they are against having this option on all products. Probably they just need some sign of interest in that feature in the filed.. So it should not be difficult to convince them :)

Best regards,
David

sjet701
03-03-2009, 02:34 AM
Hi David, Seeing that we are now into March, any further ideas as to release date of v5.1? - cheers/Lee

davrays
03-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Well, Lee, look at my post above (http://support.epygi.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6121&postcount=4), where I told that I cannot give reliable estimates...

Better if you ask the marketing. I will invite Warren to answer here...

warren
03-05-2009, 09:31 AM
Software version 5.1 which is planned for the Quadro and QuadroM product lines is currently in Beta release. We plan to officially release first GA build at the end of April. If you are interested in Beta testing the latest software, please contact Warren Sonnen directly.

To qualify for the Beta we require details on of the live environment to review and determine is that location is a good fit for the beta. Thank you.

sjet701
03-05-2009, 08:03 PM
David / Warren, many thanks will now contact warren direct.

mdutton
03-18-2009, 03:32 AM
Hi David

As it is now mid March, I would like to pose Kevin's question re:support for newer handsets again. We have a prospect running Trix box and Snom 820 handsets. Their system is not very reliable and I would like to swap out the Trix server with a Quadro. However, I would prefer to be fully provisioning the handsets and not setting them up as a generic SIP handset.

We have another client who has a Linksys LVS9000 system, which is not giving them the features they require. Quadro can easily accommodate their requirements, but they have SPA 962 handsets.

Do you know whether 5.1 will have support for the Snom 820 and SPA 962 handsets in 5.1 GA?

Regards

Mark Dutton

davrays
03-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Hi Mark

What refers to the Snom 820 - the answer is yes, it will be fully provisioned by 5.1 (the autoprovisioning of Snom820 is the thing we work on right now, and the development/testing is almost completed).

Related to Linksys, not sure. I will find out (probably ask guys to comment here)..

Best regards,
David

Harutyun
03-20-2009, 07:08 AM
Sorry, no plans for SPA 962,
currently we are supporting 921/922/941/942.

ssteiner
03-20-2009, 06:34 PM
I'd figure using the 962 would work if you configure them as an SPA942.. the config files should be the same.. the SPA962 just has two more lines.
I don't know how far the support goes though.. BLFs and the likes could be tricky because part of the configuration there is at another place in the GUI so the variables could be named differently as well.
I guess your best shot is to try once the firmware is here.

@mdhutton: the SPA9000 only does limited autoprovisioning and you probably don't set up new handsets every day (after all the SPA9k is limited to 16) so you could just go the manual route.. it takes three parameters in a phone's GUI and you're up and running (provided you did the necessary configuration on the Quadro).