Thread: Snom PA-1 with Valcom V2003-A Paging System

Lightbulb Snom PA-1 with Valcom V2003-A Paging System

Just wanted to post a thread in this forum to possibly help others that may come accross this issue:

We are replacing an antiquated BCM400 system with a new QX200/QXFXS24 combination and needed to be able to replicate as many features and functions of the BCM400 system, along with obviously adding more features. In doing this, we were not really sure how we were going to replicate the paging functionality of over 22 amplified loud speakers in the client's building.

Since the client already had a perfectly good paging system in place--as well as 22 speakers specifically designed for the amplifier in place, we chose to use a Snom PA-1 to interface with the Valcom V2003-A. However, the V2003-A requires relay usage which requires nominal voltage in order to activate the amp when audio is received for broadcast.

Since the documentation on the Snom site is limited, or at least in my opinion not 100% clear, I wanted to explain what we did here to achieve success.
    This way, if I ever forget, I can always come back here myself.
    BTW, I took tidbits from all sorts of Wikis and other phone techs that I found on line who talked about this functionality but never actually gave working examples.
    Using those snippets, and our own successful implementation, here is exactly what we did....

Okay, so the pa-1 is configured as a standard extension on the QX-200, and a route is defined in the CRT for dialing the snom extension.
    The snom registers locally using a single identity.
    There is nothing at all special on the extension--it is assigned an IP line just like any other IP phone.
    The snom pa1 has several action URLs that can programmed based on the events taking place with the device.
    We used the 'On Connected', and 'On Disconnnected' events.
    The action URL config page for the snom pa-1 at the time of this writing is located at:
    http://<SNOM_PA1_LAN_IP>/action.htm

When a call is connected to the pa-1, the 'On Connected' event fires and the action url we set was:
    http://<SNOM_PA1_LAN_IP>/settings.htm?settings=save&pa1_pin3=on

When a call is disconnected from the pa-1, the 'On Disconnected' event fires and the action url we set was:
    http://<SNOM_PA1_LAN_IP>/settings.htm?settings=save&pa1_pin3=off

With this on connected event, the snom pa-1 sends +3.3v out on pin #3 of the I/O 2 connector panel.
    With this on disconnected event, the snom pa-1 stops sending that +3.3v out on pin #3 of the I/O 2 connector panel.

Using this, the snom pa-1 receives a phone call from any extension, the action url applies 3.3v which we have connected to the page relay input of the V2003-A, and the audio from the pa-1 is then 3.5mm audio to audio input of the V2003-A. And we have 22 speakers broadcasting in our new paging system.

Hope this helps somebody else save hours of research time...
    Last edited by tchancev; 03-16-2015 at 03:35 PM.

Thanks for your post, but could you provide detail on how to connect the pa1 to the Valcom? I am trying to get this going with a Valcom 2001 which I think is very similar. Exactly which physical wires are going to where on the Valcom? On the input side of the Valcom I have two connections for Music - and these certainly work for an external music source. But not for the SNOM ... so where are the four leads from I/O 2 going on the Valcom? Are there other connections that need to be made as well? Thank you so much in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by tchancev View Post
    Just wanted to post a thread in this forum to possibly help others that may come accross this issue:

We are replacing an antiquated BCM400 system with a new QX200/QXFXS24 combination and needed to be able to replicate as many features and functions of the BCM400 system, along with obviously adding more features. In doing this, we were not really sure how we were going to replicate the paging functionality of over 22 amplified loud speakers in the client's building.

Since the client already had a perfectly good paging system in place--as well as 22 speakers specifically designed for the amplifier in place, we chose to use a Snom PA-1 to interface with the Valcom V2003-A. However, the V2003-A requires relay usage which requires nominal voltage in order to activate the amp when audio is received for broadcast.

Since the documentation on the Snom site is limited, or at least in my opinion not 100% clear, I wanted to explain what we did here to achieve success.
    This way, if I ever forget, I can always come back here myself.
    BTW, I took tidbits from all sorts of Wikis and other phone techs that I found on line who talked about this functionality but never actually gave working examples.
    Using those snippets, and our own successful implementation, here is exactly what we did....

Okay, so the pa-1 is configured as a standard extension on the QX-200, and a route is defined in the CRT for dialing the snom extension.
    The snom registers locally using a single identity.
    There is nothing at all special on the extension--it is assigned an IP line just like any other IP phone.
    The snom pa1 has several action URLs that can programmed based on the events taking place with the device.
    We used the 'On Connected', and 'On Disconnnected' events.
    The action URL config page for the snom pa-1 at the time of this writing is located at:
    http://<SNOM_PA1_LAN_IP>/action.htm

When a call is connected to the pa-1, the 'On Connected' event fires and the action url we set was:
    http://<SNOM_PA1_LAN_IP>/settings.htm?settings=save&pa1_pin3=on

When a call is disconnected from the pa-1, the 'On Disconnected' event fires and the action url we set was:
    http://<SNOM_PA1_LAN_IP>/settings.htm?settings=save&pa1_pin3=off

With this on connected event, the snom pa-1 sends +3.3v out on pin #3 of the I/O 2 connector panel.
    With this on disconnected event, the snom pa-1 stops sending that +3.3v out on pin #3 of the I/O 2 connector panel.

Using this, the snom pa-1 receives a phone call from any extension, the action url applies 3.3v which we have connected to the page relay input of the V2003-A, and the audio from the pa-1 is then 3.5mm audio to audio input of the V2003-A. And we have 22 speakers broadcasting in our new paging system.

Hope this helps somebody else save hours of research time...

Edit: We understand most of this, but just dont know where the page port relay you are talking about is? Is that the Page Port Access CC?
    Hello, can you please help with what you are saying? What wires get connected to Tip and Ring? Are you using PIN 1 2 and 3? Can you please be a little more clear? That would be extremely helpful to A LOT OF CONFUSED CUSTOMERS! Thank you
    Last edited by jontron11; 09-12-2017 at 11:48 AM.

http://www.valcom.com/pdf/v2003a-e_V2003ahf-e.pdf

Page 7 has the input and output settings

Thread Information